All reviews the cottages short drive fishing kevin cabin lake sandbanks camping
Reviewed 7 July 2016

A few years ago summer of 2012?? I was trying to do something nice for my daughter and treat her to a weekend away with her and her husband. I had surfed the NET and found Merland Park Lodge with its catchy cabin names. My Daughter had been going through surgeries and treatments for cancer. Our stay turned out so disappointing my heart sank. I vowed I would write a letter when I got home (Sudbury) but I let it ride. Today, Trip Advisor popped up on my iPad so; I'm hoping that the cabin we were given back then, has now been remodelled or torn down. Our cabin, viewed from the lake was in the back right. When we entered our unit we noticed the picture window was broken so we reported it and it was mended quickly by using a piece of plexiglass and owner stated that the renters had done that damage the night before. I doubt very much that it had been rented the night before because the inside was not clean. Small flies and dead ones congregated around and over the dishes that were on an open shelf. My son Inlaw washed all the dishes before we could use them. It was a 2 bedroom cottage with one futon that was very uncomfortable to sit on (four of us) and we perched on the mismatched chairs from the kitchen table. In the morning I walked into the bathroom where some pipe had leaked water all around the toilet and beneath the vanity. That same morning I went to put the coffee on and found a spider and mold were nesting in the old coffee grinds. Again my son Inlaw scrubbed that clean but I couldn't bring myself to use it so I exchanged it for another at the office. Later, I accompanied my daughter to the pool as she was going to go for a swim. The water in the pool had a nice yellow/green tinge to it, and looked less than healthy, but with no complaints from my daughter, she got in and did a few laps. Again I was disheartened to have brought my daughter to this location for some well deserved R&R. The only saving grace was that my daughter and her husband had a nice kayak paddle (used their own kayak) along the shoreline. Owners can you please tell me, that for the sake of your business, you no longer rent this unit. Should have spoken up WAY earlier. Staying here does not conjure up good memories for me and hopefully forgotten ones for my daughter.

Room Tip: Any others closer to waters edge. Look for refurbished updated and clean ones!
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Patricia G
Reviewed 9 June 2016 via mobile

Fantastic stay again this year this is our 9th year staying here with our group and as always having a great time. Always accomadating we arrive very early usually 7 or 8 am and they always get us in to our cottages quickly great fishing some years better then others very family and pet friendly we bring our dog every year and they are great as long as everyone takes care of and cleans up after there own the owners have a dog of there own and that loves to be social and visit we have tons of great memories we have made here and cant wait to have many more

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 May 2016

First off no personal campfires, 1 big community fire for anyone and everyone to enjoy right beside the boat launch. Probably not safe for kids. Dogs must be leashed at all times, except the owners and any other stray that decides to enter your cottage as was the case with my stay. I had 2 dogs that don't exactly play well with others and I made sure they were leashed at all times but had to keep them locked up because the rule didn't apply to anyone else. We were assigned a docking spot, which we paid extra for, 2 separate occasions the spot was taken by another boater to which the owner just said "take whatever is open" Then why even assign designated spots!! Beds are god awful, circa 1984. Cottages are not on the water as they would have you think in the pictures. We stayed in cottage #5 and we were blessed with a bouncy castle 3 feet from our living room window. After we checked out there was a $25 charge on the credit card for a hunting jacket that was left behind that didn't even belong to us. When we called to inquire the owners response was "what would you like me to do?" Most guests and employees spoke French, thinking we didn't understand saying we were "making a scene" with our docking issues. Overall this is a poorly run business. Which is sad because it has a lot of potential to be great. For $1200 for a weekend, I would think the service would be world class. Next time I'll go to Cuba!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Clark53
MerlandPark, Owner at Merland Park Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2016

As we tried to respond to your complaint posted on FlipKey, we would like the opportunity to reply here as well.
We are very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We always appreciate customer feedback and constructive criticism as it is the best way for us to work towards improving Merland Park. Our guests’ satisfaction is of utmost importance to us. We would like to respond and hopefully address some of your concerns.
You complained about our pool being green upon your arrival. Yes, our pool was green when you checked in but we had just taken the cover off and it was not open to our guests. As I am sure you can appreciate, it does take a considerable amount of work and time to get a large in ground pool properly cleaned and open for the season which is usually only around the middle of June. As for the bouncing castle, rest assured it gets cleaned once a week. When it is not in use it is deflated, to save energy, and left to lie on the ground. Some of the stains do not come off as it is left outside for our guests throughout the entire busy spring and summer seasons. The families with children absolutely love having the bouncing castle at the park and we do try to accommodate all of our guests.
It is disappointing to hear you thought the beds in your cottage were uncomfortable. We certainly know the value of a good night’s sleep and we make every effort to stay on top of the quality of the mattresses. In fact, three of the mattresses are new. One of which was just purchased this spring. As I am sure you will agree, it is difficult to please everyone with a mattress as some like it soft, others like it hard but we will absolutely ask the housecleaning staff to take a closer look at the mattresses in cottage #5 to ensure their quality. You also complained about the sticky table in your cottage and we are aware of the table in #5 and must apologize for that inconvenience. It was indeed clean, but for some reason, the shellac we used when resurfacing it suddenly became gummy. We have since purchased a new one and it is now in cottage #5 – thank you for bringing that to our attention.

Merland Park is one of few resorts in Prince Edward County to welcome and allow dogs. We understand this is an ongoing challenge at times as pets can be unpredictable but we strive to make it work because we share the love of animals and pride ourselves on being able to say yes to our guests so they can bring their pets along with them while on vacation! Our neighbours have dogs who roam freely and often make their way over to our property to meet their fellow canines. Our staff are instructed to keep a vigilant watch for our dog, Grizby, as well as the neighbours dogs so they don’t interfere with our guests stay. Sometimes, we fall short on this and we would like to apologize for the intrusion if one of the dogs came right into your cottage – that is not right and we will be reminding neighbours and staff to please work together to keep this from happening again. Yes, our dog does run freely on the property as we are extremely confident in his good nature with adults and children and other dogs. Nevertheless, if that is ever a concern of our guests and they bring it to our prompt attention, we are always more than happy to keep him in the house or on a leash. We do ask that customers keep their dogs on leashes as we do not know the personalities of their dogs and do not want any pet altercations to occur.

We do care about the experience our guests have at Merland Park. We explain to each guest, upon check in, that they need to respect the docking slip assigned to them and they need to leave ropes and/or buoys to identify their spot as reserved. Which many guests, including yourselves, forget to do sometimes. Unfortunately, not everyone respects this request and it has proven extremely difficult to monitor considering the boats come and go at all times of day and night. We can, however, guarantee a spot to our guests because we never overbook the slips. So when you arrive late at night or are the last boat to pull in to the docks, it is certainly possible that others have parked in the wrong spot. We agree it is an inconvenience and may be frustrating but rest assured there will always be an alternative spot for you to park until we can get things sorted out. We have taken your complaint to heart and will be posting signs all around the docks re-iterating the importance of respecting assigned slips.
Our website shows a detailed map of the grounds, location of each cottage in relation to the water and the interior of each cottage. We encourage everyone to do some research ahead of time and take a look at exactly where their cottage will be. Of our 13 cottages on the property, 6 are directly on the water, 5 look out on to the water but are a few metres away from the shoreline and 2 are a little further up the property but still have porches that look out over the water. The pictures we post on our website and social media sites are actual pictures taken at the resort so the do in fact speak for themselves. Again, we are very sorry to hear your stay with us was unsatisfactory.
Thank you for your feedback and we hope we have addressed your concerns.
Jennifer & Kevin Lavers

Reviewed 23 January 2016

make a wish, click your heals and quite possible you'll end up in this heavenly slice of mid summer bliss, if fishing is your thing you won't see a better more equipped place by the river side, then top it off with a nigh time quite camp fire to reminisce .

Stayed: August 2015
2  Thank justin013
Reviewed 18 November 2015

Nice place to stay at. Centrally located. Boat launch, docks, and fish cleaning house all in good working order. Cottage was clean warm and comfortable. Kevin aims to please, and is very helpful. Will be returning next year.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled with friends