“A gem in small town wine country”
Review of Merrill Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Picton
Merrill Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Picton
“A gem in small town wine country”
Reviewed 27 March 2011

Merrill Inn is a gem in the up and coming wine country of Prince Edward County. It is a totally enjoyable place to end a days rambling around local wineries, art galleries and cider makers. The quiet and tasteful inn has comfortably elegant rooms, some with fireplaces, where you can lounge before heading to the intimate restaurant. Chef Michael Sullivan brings panache to local ingredients and wine pairings often from the wineries surrounding Picton (and the award winning international wine list is generous in its scope and depth!) Dinner was gorgeous and breakfast was a sumptuous hot meal that was more like a brunch than a mere breakfast. Hosts Edward and Amy are knowledgeable friendly and the kind of folk you'd just like to hang out with. A great experience!

• Stayed March 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Stouffville, ON
Reviewed 20 March 2011

From the moment we walked in, until we left, we felt welcomed and pampered and were very impressed with the Inn restaurant and owners.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Ottawa
Reviewed 12 March 2011

After a superb dinner last fall, my husband and I returned for an overnight stay in February with dinner and breakfast included. The dinner met our high expectations and the room on the first floor of this historic home was spacious with beautiful antiques. Staff was friendly and personable. Local wines are available at dinner from some of the two dozen Prince Edward County wineries. A great alternative to Niagara area.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Ottawa
Reviewed 27 February 2011

A group of friends, including my husband and I meet up every year for a weekend somewhere convenient to Toronto, Montreal & Ottawa. Picton is a short drive off of the 401, and the Merrill Inn is easy to find on the main street. The Inn is extremely clean, the staff is friendly and professional, the rooms are quaint, clean, and the beds are luxurious. The dining was wonderful both for the evening meal and breakfast the next day. There is lots of parking, it is a short walk into town and a short drive to Sandbanks Provincial Park. It's a bit on the pricey side, but good value nonetheless.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 6 February 2011

My husband and I booked a weekend package that included one night's stay, dinner and breakfast. We were absolutely delighted with the experience - we had a charming and quiet room on the third floor. Dinner was amazing - the best we have had in a very long time. The sweetbreads, duck and lamb were perfect! Breakfast was great - old-fashioned oatmeal better than Mom made it. We will definitely come back.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Gilroy, CA
Reviewed 13 October 2010

I booked the stay for a weekend stay during the Canadian Thanksgiving. Although there were other B&B options, I had to have 2 beds since there is the 4 of us ( I travelled with my wife and 2 kids that are 2 and 6....more on that later ). I called around and found that B&Bs usually accomodate 2 people ( with 1 bed ) and the few in Picton that did accomodate up to 4 had a "no kids" policy. Merrill Inn was one of the only ones that I found that allowed kids. Since I never stayed at a B&B, I was expecting a small room. But when we got there, I was pleasantly surprised that the room itself was about the same size as a regular hotel room. The room was really clean and looked classy/rustic but not "out of date". The interior of the Inn was like a really old Victorian house with the restuarant downstairs, several sitting areas to read and a living room with reading materials.

The B&B included a Continental Breakfast with 1 hot item served from the kitchen. I went down to try it out and found that it was a nice breakfast ( I had some cereal and some nice Pumpkin spiced pancakes ). There are only 7 or 8 tables in the basement but there were at least 2 servers that took care of everyone.

The only part that I really wanted to point out is that the floors in the room and the stairs were creaky. Given that I had 2 young kids that did not adjust to the East Coast Time ( being from the West Coast ), I was more concerned that we'd be making too much noise....especially when the kids were walking around and the floors would creak every time they walked around. This shouldn't be considered a "negative" as I suppose that this is part of the charm and appeal of the house given the age of the house. I just felt bad for whoever was staying and sleeping underneath our room.

The staff was really helpful and courteous ( most notably Edward...the owner....who I accidentally called Stephen ). Overall, the experience was pleasant and much better then I had expected for a 1st time stay at a B&B ( I'm used to staying at hotels ).

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank CableKC
Milford, Canada
Reviewed 3 October 2010

Our group of 12 women stayed for a fabulous weekend at the Merrill Inn in Picton, Ontario Located on the main street in the town we could walk to all the shops and the pub. The rooms were spotless, charming with gable windows, each room unique with different lovely country quilts, renovated bathrooms and beautifully appointed. Our group could gather in the parlour downstairs before heading out for our touring. The Innkeeper and Proprieter and his staff were extremely helpful, courteous and provided the type of service one would expect from this type of establishment. The chef, Michael Sullivan surpassed our expectations both in our hot breakfasts each morning of our stay and our Saturday night dinner. The presentation of the dishes was top notch, excellent service and we had a wonderful evening. We attended the 2nd seating that gave our group ample time to explore the "County" from shopping in Picton and Bloomfield, visiting the sites such as Lake on the Mountain, the Specialty Cheese shops, and having lunch by the lake at the Waupoos Winery. In conclusion our weekend was great value for the cost of $328 per person including taxes and graduities for 2 nights stay, 2 hot breakfasts, full a la carte dinner Saturday night, wine tasting at one of the many prominent wineries in the region, and a lunch pack to take home with us when we stopped at the Sandbanks and ate by the water's edge on the beach. I plan to return in the spring with another group of my friends and this particular group would like to return in Fall of 2012.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Picton
The Waring House
Best Western Belleville
#1 of 7 in Belleville
TownePlace Suites Belleville
Travelodge Hotel Belleville

Been to Merrill Inn? Share your experiences!