“Charming Inn!”
Review of Merrill Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Picton
Merrill Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Picton
Toronto, Canada
“Charming Inn!”
Reviewed 25 July 2013

A lovely Inn nestled in beautiful Picton, On. in the heart of Prince Edward County. Lovely place with beautiful decor, exceptionally friendly staff, and delicious food served in their restaurant. We stayed on the main level, and the rooms were very quiet. Lots of outside sitting areas to relax and take in the natural outdoors. Also great location close to all amenities. I would definitely stay here again :)

Room Tip: The stairs are steep so if you are traveling with anyone with physical disabilities or elderly perso...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Audrey S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Stayed at the Inn July 2013 for two nights with my wife on a County winery vacation. Upon arrival at the Inn, the property & the Inn looked very impressive. The reception staff was friendly & very helpful. We purchased a package with jacuzzi tub on the third floor,the stairs going up to the room were steep & narrow. The room was spacious, however it had short comings including dated furniture, a very loud window A/C unit, a plastic shower surround, a mini stereo that got no reception, & toiletries in the bathroom all scented with lavender,( I can't deal with the smell of lavender). One of the things that drew us to the Inn were the reviews of the restaurant, we were greatly disappointed. At dinner I chose for my first course, Caesar salad, the romaine lettuce was very bitter, a disappointment. My main was the duck, it was nicely roasted however it was stringy & the accompanying potato was burnt. My wife had the Cornish Hen, it was overpowered by the amount of Paprika. We both opted for the Red Velvet Cake which was neither red in colour nor velvety in texture. The dinner experience was a major disappointment. A nice Inn however over hyped and over priced,well short of value for my dollar.

Room Tip: The dinner package is not worth the money.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank GordS29
merrillinn, Owner at Merrill Inn, responded to this review, 24 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay at the Merrill Inn. The owners and staff take great pride in ensuring that our guests receive a very personalized experience at this unique and historic inn and appreciate your positive comments in regards to the inn and the high level of hospitality that you received from our staff. At the same time we were very surprised and disappointed to hear that some elements did not meet your expectation to which we apologize.

Guest rooms feature high quality furnishings and fabrics, new air conditioning units and bathrooms that feature brand new residential quality Moen fixtures. Our bath amenities are exclusively made for the inn here in Prince Edward County and yes, feature local lavender from the County. They have been so well received that they are one of the most popular retail items in our Gift Store and often out of stock due to popularity with our guests.

Dinner at the Restaurant of the Merrill Inn is a highlight for our guests as can be seen from other Tripadvisor reviews so your comments naturally come as a surprise to us.

Once again thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us.

Regards,
Edward Shubert
Innkeeper
Oshawa
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Just came back from the Merrill Inn with my sisterinlaw, after a 2 night stay at the Merrill Inn. I must say we were really impressed with the Inn's owner, Edward and his wonderful staff. The food was exquisite, I had the cornish hen and my sisterinlaw had the lamb. I would recommend both dishes and I would highly recommend the wine pairings!! Thanks to Jimmy our waiter, who helped pair our food with the wine. Thanks also to the amazing chef!! Our room was lovely also. We'll be back that is for sure!....

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 11 July 2013

My wife and I were celebrating our 42nd anniversary and made dinner reservations at this magnificent Inn. We were greeted by Edward and his wonderful staff wiith their usual cheerful alacrity. My wife ordered the veal and I the cornish game hen; not only were they a gastronomic delight but the presentation was something to behold. From the moment you enter this fine facility you are made to feel both welcome and part of the family. We highly recommend The Merrill Inn and have stayed several times and will continue to do in the future. Our sincere thanks to Edward, Amy and all the wonderful staff who go the extra mile to make your stay and meals memorable. Unfortunately due to our tight schedule we were not able to stay at the Inn this time but did enjoy a wonderful meal.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Just spent 2 days in Picton for a wine tasting tour and stayed at The Merrill Inn with 3 of my girlfriends. Staff could not have been friendlier. Edward made our stay warm and welcoming. He was most helpful with his knowledge about the surrounding areas and what we should see and do. Furthermore, we had a lovely and delicious dinner at the Inn as well as the included breakfast buffet. We would recommend it to anyone visiting the area!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Linda F
Reviewed 1 July 2013 via mobile

Silly man. I just thought the M.I. was this fantastic, friendly re-done old mansion as a cool inn at a very wonderful place to be. Really good coffee and food, sincere friendliness.

However, the Mrs., who is an un-named, award-winning interior designer, was impressed with all the "attention to detail." Everywhere, and in every way. "It was a feast for your eyes and other senses, but it met all the functional requirements: towels so soft, pillows so comfortable, beautiful dining room settings which change with meals, gas fireplace in room, antique furniture, sensuous aromas in the bath products, spotless rooms, etc., etc. Meticulous attention to detail make you feel secure and even pampered."

Apparently this design stuff is much more than just cushions everywhere - what would I know, I'm just a guy. Croissants at breakfast were sinfully good. Did I mention the coffee? Grange pinot gris with smoked trout as supper appetizer was the killer pairing of all time. (Also try Closson Chase chardonnay, Sandbanks Baco Noir Reserve, or just about any other County wine.) 4.99999 out of 5. Only way it could have been better - I'm really, really stretching it here - was to have Art-Is-In bakery bread (Ottawa) with supper.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Stephen D
Canada
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Excellent accommodation, service and extras. Highly recommend this spot for visitors to the beautiful area. There was iced tea and cookies in the afternoon, a delicious breakfast and lovely nooks for reading the materials provided on the history of the region.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Picton
The Waring House
The Queen's Inn
The Queen's Inn
#4 of 5 in Picton
The Miller's House Bed and Breakfast

Been to Merrill Inn? Share your experiences!