“Relaxing PE County Home Base”
Review of Merrill Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Picton
Merrill Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Picton
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We have been using the Merrill Inn as our "home away from home" while exploring Prince Edward County for over 20 years. Owners Edward and Amy Shubert continue to make the experience comfortable and friendly. The nearly an acre quiet grounds shaded by beautiful, huge walnut trees add to the relaxing atmosphere.

Chef Michael Smith uses local ingredients in the delicious meals prepared in the restaurant Tuesday to Saturday. The seating in the charming dining room is tight, but the first-class cuisine makes up for it. Edward will do wine pairings for guests or you can select from the quite extensive wine list.

The 1878 home is well maintained, gracious, clean; the rooms are furnished in period antiques. Each room is unique and may be viewed on their website. There are some beautiful pieces of local artwork on the walls. An outside sitting area is pleasant and confortable.

It is the little things that they do so well--in-room waffle weave robes, pretty china used for breakfast (buffet of cheeses, seasonal fruits, baked goods and a hot selection each morning), cookies and ice tea from 3--5 in the afternoon, use of their freezer for your ice packs, fragrant lavender amenities ...

We enjoyed the Summer Getaway Package for one night which includes, in addition to the usual night's accommodation and breakfast, a 3-course dinner (with no annoying restrictions on choice), county wine tastings and a picnic lunch. We recommend the newest choice on the picnic menu--the ploughman's lunch.

The next evening we followed their recommendation for a nearby restaurant for which they made our dinner reservations and had an excellent meal. Assistant Innkeeper, Nell Casson, always takes the time to make sure guests are having a good time and they have a good assortment of helpful maps, buides, etc. at the reception desk.

Edward's on-site, hands-on, friendly management style continues to make this a first-rate choice.

Room Tip: Because the inn is set well back from the street noise has never been a problem for us. Check out t...
1  Thank PE_County_Fans

Reviewed 3 August 2013

My husband and I enjoyed a two night's stay at the Merrill Inn in August 2013. The Inn was nestled in the heart of Prince Edward County with easy access anywhere we wished to go. Our room was charmingly decorated in period pieces, quiet, and most importantly very clean. The breakfast was hearty and delicious and offered something different every day. We also dined at their restaurant for dinner and the food and service were exceptional. I highly recommend the rack of lamb. We would definitely return to both stay and eat :)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2013

This is a lovely and charming inn owned by very nice people. We only stayed one night as we were just passing through but plan on going back some day for a longer stay. The inn is very clean and the beds are comfortable. Would highly recommend.

Reviewed 27 July 2013

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying here for a couple of days in July.
Upon arrival, we were greeted graciously and without delay. Our room was on the main floor.
It was newly renovated and very well appointed, despite being on the main floor, it was virtually sound proof.
We were given wonderful service by all the staff at the Inn and especially by Keagan (excuse me if spelled wrong) a very delightful young lady who took the time to ensure all our questions were answered and needs met. Thank you.
The Inn: located just off Main street, beautiful curb appeal, very well manicured grounds, spacious sitting areas outside, ample parking.beautifully restored and decorated.only a few minutes walk to Main Street shops.
The room: small and quaint. newly renovated, very comfortable bed, large shower. clean and A/C worked perfectly.
The Restaurant: Breakfast, a hot meal option is served and there are choices of various baked goods, cereal, yogurt and cheeses as well as fresh squeezed juices.
we had the breakfast wrap on our first day (ok) and a biscuit sandwich with egg and sausage on the second day (ok)
The Restaurant Dinner: My wife had the Crab cake and the Rack of Lamb (Perfectly prepared and presented) and I had the smoked trout appetizer and the Filet Mignon.
(Perfectly cooked and presented).accompanied by a wonderful bottle of Local Red.
I found it to be one of the best dinner experiences of our trip.
We would definitely return and recommend to family and friends.

1  Thank funnomatterwherewego
Reviewed 25 July 2013

A lovely Inn nestled in beautiful Picton, On. in the heart of Prince Edward County. Lovely place with beautiful decor, exceptionally friendly staff, and delicious food served in their restaurant. We stayed on the main level, and the rooms were very quiet. Lots of outside sitting areas to relax and take in the natural outdoors. Also great location close to all amenities. I would definitely stay here again :)

Room Tip: The stairs are steep so if you are traveling with anyone with physical disabilities or elderly perso...
2  Thank Audrey S
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Stayed at the Inn July 2013 for two nights with my wife on a County winery vacation. Upon arrival at the Inn, the property & the Inn looked very impressive. The reception staff was friendly & very helpful. We purchased a package with jacuzzi tub on the third floor,the stairs going up to the room were steep & narrow. The room was spacious, however it had short comings including dated furniture, a very loud window A/C unit, a plastic shower surround, a mini stereo that got no reception, & toiletries in the bathroom all scented with lavender,( I can't deal with the smell of lavender). One of the things that drew us to the Inn were the reviews of the restaurant, we were greatly disappointed. At dinner I chose for my first course, Caesar salad, the romaine lettuce was very bitter, a disappointment. My main was the duck, it was nicely roasted however it was stringy & the accompanying potato was burnt. My wife had the Cornish Hen, it was overpowered by the amount of Paprika. We both opted for the Red Velvet Cake which was neither red in colour nor velvety in texture. The dinner experience was a major disappointment. A nice Inn however over hyped and over priced,well short of value for my dollar.

Room Tip: The dinner package is not worth the money.
4  Thank GordS29
merrillinn, Owner at Merrill Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay at the Merrill Inn. The owners and staff take great pride in ensuring that our guests receive a very personalized experience at this unique and historic inn and appreciate your positive comments in regards to the inn and the high level of hospitality that you received from our staff. At the same time we were very surprised and disappointed to hear that some elements did not meet your expectation to which we apologize.

Guest rooms feature high quality furnishings and fabrics, new air conditioning units and bathrooms that feature brand new residential quality Moen fixtures. Our bath amenities are exclusively made for the inn here in Prince Edward County and yes, feature local lavender from the County. They have been so well received that they are one of the most popular retail items in our Gift Store and often out of stock due to popularity with our guests.

Dinner at the Restaurant of the Merrill Inn is a highlight for our guests as can be seen from other Tripadvisor reviews so your comments naturally come as a surprise to us.

Once again thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us.

Regards,
Edward Shubert
Innkeeper

Reviewed 18 July 2013

Just came back from the Merrill Inn with my sisterinlaw, after a 2 night stay at the Merrill Inn. I must say we were really impressed with the Inn's owner, Edward and his wonderful staff. The food was exquisite, I had the cornish hen and my sisterinlaw had the lamb. I would recommend both dishes and I would highly recommend the wine pairings!! Thanks to Jimmy our waiter, who helped pair our food with the wine. Thanks also to the amazing chef!! Our room was lovely also. We'll be back that is for sure!....

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Picton
The Waring House
TownePlace Suites Belleville
Isaiah Tubbs Resort
Isaiah Tubbs Resort
#5 of 5 in Picton

Been to Merrill Inn? Share your experiences!