“A real treasure”
Review of Merrill Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Picton
Merrill Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Picton
Reviewed 25 August 2009

I just got home from spending a couple of days at the Merrill Inn in Picton and cannot say enough good things about it. My room was amazing, the staff always courteous and helpful, the food spectacular... I could go on and on. The hospitality was second to none. I look forward to staying at the Merrill Inn again in the very near future.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank MargGTA_Ontario

Reviewed 12 August 2009

We have been staying at the Merrill Inn for a few years now and it is always a wonderful experience. The relaxing charm really captures the welcoming spirit of the County with cozy, comfortable accommodation. The food is always excellent, featuring local produce, with a well chosen selection of both local and imported wines. But the biggest factor in making our stay enjoyable is the excellent service; the attentive hosts and their cheerful and accomplished staff go out of their way to ensure that you will have an enjoyable visit to the region.
We look forward to returning to the Merrill Inn again next year!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 August 2009

Having eaten a fabulous meal at the Merrill Inn while staying nearby at a good friend's cottage, we decided to celebrate our anniversary this year with dinner and an overnight stay at the Merrill Inn. The dinner did not disappoint and the breakfast the following morning on the back terrace was charming. The food and service were spectacular! The room itself was another matter. We booked the suite and upon being shown to our accommodation, it was hard to hide our disappointment. It was nothing more than average. The room itself was spacious, but hardly a 'suite'. Any dictionary definition will tell you that a 'suite' is made up of more than one room. This was one room with a sofa and a bed that was pushed into the corner against a window. The air conditioner was located in that window and had to be turned off at bedtime or risk a cold blast of air all night on the spouse unlucky enough to get that side of the bed. The tiny bathroom was adequate, but you risked scalding yourself in the shower if anyone in one of the adjacent rooms used the water at the same time. Several times I squealed and had to step back until the water temperature righted itself. In addition, the repair to the toilet roll holder was poorly done. No one bothered to patch the holes left from the old one, just slapped a board up and attached the new one. Having paid almost $300 for the room, it was a bit disappointing. Several times I thought of my own home that overlooks a lake and wondered what I was doing here. That's not to say that the Merrill Inn doesn't have potential, it does. If it could ever live up to it's restaurant's reputation, it would be an irresistible combination!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JaneBeaOntario
Reviewed 23 April 2009

The last time I stayed in htis area I stayed at the Isaiah Tubbs Inn. It was horrible. One of their staff mambers jokingly suggested I stay at the Merrill Inn, as she felt it was worse than the Isaiah Tubbs. Well, she was wrong!

The Merrill Inn is clean, comfortable, has a friendy staff and great food! My room was very clesn, no bugs like they have at Isaiah Tubbs. The bed was comfortable, the linens looked fairly new, there were plenty of towels in the bathroom, and the heater worked perfectly.

The breakfast and dinner I had at the Merrill Inn was first rate! Waitstaff were friendly, prompt, and looked like they really enjoyed their jobs. The people at reception were also friendly. Their service skills are miles above the skill of the staff at Isaiah Tubbs. The entire hotel should be proud of it's staff. I have been traveling for over 30 years as a speaker and sales trainer, I know what it takes to provide top-notch service. The staff at The Merrill Inn is one of the best hotel staffs I have seen in my years of traveling. Next time I am in the area I will be staying there, and I will be referring my colleagues and friends to stay there as well.

Well done Merrill Iinn!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank slowlyseeingtheworld
Reviewed 10 December 2008

As B&B operators ourselves, we're always looking for Inns that live up to our high standards and the Merrill Inn surpassed our expectations. The Inn itself is beautiful and the rooms are impressive but it is the food that sets the Merrill Inn apart. It has an excellent dining room serving both breakfasts and dinners featuring locally grown and produced foods. The staff is extremely knowledgeable about the area and provided treat tips of where to go and what to see.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 5 December 2008

We were really unlucky to get Room 105. I don't think the inn should be using this room as a guest room, as it is so tiny and stuffy. It was really not worth the money we paid for it.

The issues we had were with mainly with noise and ventilation. After midnight, we were awakened by the scraping of hangers on the coat rack outside our room; also, the door of the bathroom outside our room opening and closing loudly, and people speaking loudly in the (very lovely) kitchen/lobby area outside our room. When people above us walked around their room, their footsteps on the floorboards were very loud, but we are used to this from staying in B&B's. It was more the former noises that were unpleasant disturbances.

Upon checking in, when we opened the door to the room, we found the smell and stuffiness quite unpleasant. Since the room is quite small, with the fireplace going in the lobby, the air in the room quickly became even more stifling. Added to that, the fan (I think it was a fan of some sort) that was immediately outside our window (coming from the basement?) meant that opening the window would mean more noise from the fan. We asked at the front desk at that point if there was any possibility of switching rooms, but there wasn't. So, we passed the night quite literally feeling short of air. It seems to us that the room lacks adequate ventilation as it was quite stifling. At some point in the wee hours of the night, we finally managed to get the window open, but one of us hurt our lower back in the process as that window does not open easily!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Marie_Soleil_Ottawa
merrillinn, Owner at Merrill Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2013

We are pleased to announce that over Spring 2013 we were able accomplish several upgrades and renovations around the Merrill Inn.
Room #105 has had a complete remodel. We expanded the bathroom to include a full bathtub. Hand sewn draperies and new carpeting, compliment the rooms whole new look.
We added a new guest cloakroom, improvements to our main salon and our brand new Gift Shop are just some of the ongoing upgrades all in keeping with the historic charm of the Merrill Inn.
Please visit our website for a photo gallery of all the rooms in the Inn.

Reviewed 5 July 2008

We had a lovely 2-night getaway at the Merrill Inn. The inn is beautiful, and the innkeeper was very helpful in offering suggestions as to how we should spend our time. We had one dinner at the restaurant in the Merrill Inn and it was fantastic. The chef was excellent and the service very professional. I recommend this place for couples or a girls weekend.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Picton
The Waring House
#5 of 5 in Picton
The Queen's Inn
The Queen's Inn
#4 of 5 in Picton

Been to Merrill Inn? Share your experiences!