“My New Years Experience”
Review of Merrill Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Picton
Merrill Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Picton
Reviewed 2 January 2010

I visit Picton several times a year to see my mother in a seniors residence. As it was New Years we decided to stay at the Merrill Inn. Our original New Years Eve plans fell through and The Merrill Inn went out of their way to accomodate us at the last minute for dinner which was amazing. Each course was a wonderful taste experience. Edward was a perfect host and our waitress at dinner was charming and friendly. The next day we enjoyed a delicious breakfast. When visiting Prince Edward County I would definitely recommend the Merrill Inn.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 January 2010

My husband and I love visiting wineries and attending food and wine pairing events. We had heard good things about Prince Edward County and decided to spend our anniversary there touring the area and tasting what the region had to offer. We were very pleasantly surprised. We booked our two night stay at Merrill Inn based on the reviews we found on the internet. The Inn had a small town quaintness to its structure (the rooms are small but very clean - no large HD flat screens), but the food and the owner, Edward, imbued high end flavour that you would find in any downtown Mark McEwan establishment. Prince Edward County proved worthy of the reputation it was developing - Huff and Clousson wineries were both selected by top chefs, chosen for Gold Medal Plate challenges, to pair with their award-winning dishes. The cheese in this region is fantastic as well. Not all restaurants honour the same calibre of quality (avoid Isaih Tubbs!). We spent our weekend leisurely exploring the many vineyards, had a spa treatment at Claramounts (fantastic!) and picnic lunch at Clousson (provided by Merrill). We will be back for sure.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 December 2009

My husband and I booked a 2 night stay at the Merrill Inn, on the suggestion of friends (we usually visit Picton and enjoy a stay at the Waring House, but thought a change would be nice). Upon arriving, we entered our room, disheartened that it was adjacent to the front door, staircase and common living room. I was disappointed (we had hoped for an inkling of privacy) but figured that it would be alright. The constant opening of the front door, and the cold air and light coming in underneath our door (which was right beside the bed) did not help ease my disappointment. Alas, I was determined to enjoy the weekend, and put a towel into the crack in the bottom of the door.

But this is NOT why I am marking this hotel as terrible. Truly the reason comes from the service that was provided. During our stay a situation occurred that should have been dealt with in a very different manner. The owner addressed an issue that had occurred (I pinned the decorative curtain panels in our room together, when I couldn't get to sleep due to the spotlight shining in our window) at our dinner table . I was chastised for having done this, and told the cost of the curtains and that if any damage was done (it wasn't), that they would have to charge me the $7,000 that the curtains cost. The dinner facility is VERY small -- and the two tables adjacent to us heard this whole conversation. Needless to say, our dinner experience was not very enjoyable after this. The way I was spoken to was as if I was a child being reprimanded for making trouble. I was completely embarrassed, and felt sheepish -- the way one would feel after a scolding. I couldn't believe that he had brought this up at the dinner table -- and that it was even an issue.

The situation was resolved (the staff pinned the curtains closed that night), but the fact that the issue wasn't addressed in a much more customer friendly manner will keep me FAR away from the Merrill Inn (i.e. come to our room to talk to us -- or even better -- pin the curtains shut and leave a nice note for us).

I have told my story (which is hard to write with any eloquence or effectiveness here) to many and they were appalled that one of Ontario's Finest Inns didn't provide a more customer friendly approach to this issue.

Food was fantastic, and I did enjoy it, despite the fact that I fought back tears throughout the amuse-bouche and appetizer.

10  Thank BeViking
Reviewed 18 December 2009

We have stayed at the Merrill Inn a number of times. It is a really nice spot. The staff are wonderful.
We were there for the "Countylicious" dining package. The meal was wonderful with most of the menu from within Prince Edward County. We would recommend the restaurant to anyone who likes good food.
The inn is located within an easy walk to the shops of downtown Picton. It is a wonderful area of unique little shops. If you stay for more than one night there are some other nice restaurants close by.
The rooms are nicely done and have been upgraded. This is an historic property and the rooms so the history bery icely.

Reviewed 2 December 2009

My husband and I decided to take a break and spend a couple of days in Prince Edward County. The Countylicious food and wine event was taking place and the Merrill Inn offered a tempting package. We were warmly welcomed at the Inn which is a lovely old Victorian house in impeccable condition and with all kinds of beautiful wooden lace and interior finishings. It is not fusty or over-formal. Our room on the ground floor was elegant, spacious, comfortable and clean, The common living room is very pleasant and features a delightful doll house hand-made by the innkeepers over many years.

The meals, served in a smallish, modern, comfortable dining room were outstanding. We enjoyed delicious breakfasts and two excellent dinners over which we were able to taste almost the entire Countylicious menu. Everything was great. Special mention goes to the pickerel fritters, the tourtiere and the profiteroles with banana gelato. All this was accompanied by friendly, attentive, professional service.

Prince Edward County is interesting and picturesque, even in November, with its wineries, cheese factories, villages and the town of Picton with its lovely old houses and lively main street.

We're already planning a return visit.

Reviewed 23 November 2009

The Merrill Inn in Picton, Ontario, has excellent cuisine, wonderful rooms, a warm and professional staff, and a beautiful location in small town Canada. It is not surprising that its 2 owners have had experience working in senior positions with some of the finest hotels and hotel chains in North America.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 November 2009

My new wife and I spent 3 nights at the Merrill Inn and quite enjoyed the experience. Edward and Amy were perfect hosts and the food was amazing. Our room was on the top floor at the front and was spacious and clean. If you are elderly, the stairs are steep from the second to third floor, so choose a first or second floor room. We visited a number of quaint villages in the area and enjoyed the wineries and galleries. We will definitely visit again and highly recommend this Inn to anyone traveling this area.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Picton
The Waring House
#5 of 5 in Picton
The Queen's Inn
The Queen's Inn
#4 of 5 in Picton

Been to Merrill Inn? Share your experiences!