“FIRST TIME BUT NOT LAST”
Review of Merrill Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Picton
Merrill Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Picton
Ottawa, Canada
“FIRST TIME BUT NOT LAST”
Reviewed 20 August 2010

We just spent 2 nights a the Merrill Inn. My husband and I were both charmed by the historic Inn well located in Picton. Our dinner experience was memorable. What a chef! My veal escalopes and my blueberry and peach millefeuille were spectaculor. We appreciated the fact they use locally produced food, wine and even beer. The service was top-notch and we will be back. If you want a romantic getaway, it is the place to be. Diane and Henri.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Bancroft, Canada
Reviewed 11 August 2010

After touring Prince Edward County's wineries, the Merrill Inn was the perfect destination to relax, dine and unwind. No searching for a parking spot at this Inn. The back gardens and generous parking lot area was neat and well treed. Our room was large, nicely decorated and quiet at night. The owners/managers are well experienced in operating an inn. The restaurant was small but had a nice patio and the service and the food were excellent. We'd go back just to try another of the chef's specialties because the evening meal was memorable, truly in our top ten in Canada. And to top it off, the breakfast wasn't that old continental that some places throw at you. There was a varied hot and cold menu with buffet and service to start your day off right. We recommend the Merrill Inn.

Perth, Ontario
Reviewed 10 August 2010

I brought my husband for a mid week getaway, minus the kids. The Merrill Inn had been recommended to us by family and we were looking forward to it. We liked our room well enough at first blush. Realized very quickly that the 'in window" air conditioning unit was incredibly loud. We tried playing around with the settings but nothing worked. We barely slept at all, even with ear plugs in. The pity of it was, it was cool enough outside to leave the window open, except the air conditioner was in it. The veranda door could have been left open, but no screen and the bugs would get you. The innkeeper was quite accommodating and did move us to a different room for the second night, Air conditioning unit not as loud and was able to open a different window and use the overhead fan. Beds not the most comfortable.
The furniture in the rooms are refurbished antiques. Which is ok, but the side tables had slabs of marble (or granite) on them which was not attached to the base. Very dangerous. I tried to move it to get at a plugin for my laptop and it shifted. Heavy enough to break a toe if it fell
The included breakfast was ok, but the frittata was stony cold when I got it.
It cost $470 for the two nights and I do not feel we got value for our money.

3 Thank siodoc
Pickering, Ontario
Reviewed 9 August 2010

Beautiful base for touring Picton & area. Nice room, nice bed, nice hosts - who offer the perfect level of help. An oasis after a day at the beach, shopping and sightseeing. Great to enjoy the historic inn - b&b style, but with a private bath. Obvious attention to detail in the restore. Breakfast was charming & delicious. We had dinner there one evening - good choice.
Traveled with a pre-teen who loved the inn - the historic feel - stairways and halls. In the area he liked: The Mustang Drive-in Theatre - a step back in time; seeing the Lake on a Mountain; cheese curds from Black River; chocolate from Copper Kettle on Main St, and of course, swimming at Sandbanks.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Checked-it-0ut
Mississauga, ON
Reviewed 3 August 2010

My friend and I stayed at The Merrill Inn for the 3rd time in August 2009 for 3 nights. This beautiful Inn is so well managed and charming it is easy to feel right at home the moment you arrive. Breakfast was served to us each day on the patio by very charming wait staff (all students) and there was a different, beautifully presented and tasty "hot breakfast" offered each day along with pastries and fruit and yogurt. A delicious way to begin each morning.

We spent most of 3 days exploring The County's wineries, studios, shops, restaurants, and each evening returned to enjoy a good night's sleep in a beautiful room.

We picked up a variety of cheeses at the goat cheese maker and were invited to store these in the Inn's fridge. Upon departure, we were reminded to go and check the fridge and take our cheese with us (a thoughtful touch).

I'm planning another stay in September and cannot wait to spend more R & R time in The County and at the very charming and relaxing Merrill Inn.

My daughter will be entering University in 5 weeks in a Hotel Management degree program. She always says that her later goal after putting in the necessary years for education and experience in the hospitality industry, is to have her own high quality independent Inn. When we talk about this goal, I always mention the Merrill Inn, because I think it is such a fine example of the type of property she aspires to.

As a family we have traveled extensively and stayed in many Inns but I truly think this is one of the very nicest. As another reviewer pointed out, it feels like an authentic County experience of warm hospitality, wonderfully prepared and locally sourced cuisine, in rooms that are comfortable, clean, quiet, and perfectly representative of the location and era of this beautiful Inn.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 25 July 2010

Picton, Ontario was a nice change from the rather twee Niagara-on-the-Lake this year; I would call it a more "authentic" experience. And I can say the same about Merrill Inn, an interesting place where you have hotel-style amenities and the feel of a B&B (without the forced socializing!). We had room 303 on the top floor; it was a large suite with a separate living room, a full bathroom, a powder room and two large beds - ideal for a weekend trip with a friend. Lots of light, comfort and also tranquility, as there are no adjacent rooms, though there are two more rooms on the same floor. The innkeeper, who seemed to be always around at all hours of the day, was very welcoming and seemed genuinely interested in providing us with a pleasant stay. Breakfast is generous and delicious, and we had pleasant dinners there as well. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed 20 July 2010

With the book "1,000 Places To See Before You Die" a permanent fixture beside my chair, my wife and I are not in the habit of going to the same place twice, but we are heading back to the Merrill Inn and Taste Celebration again this September. We stayed at the Merrill Inn last September and it was the people that made it, Edward, family and staff were great the entire weekend, even though I don't think they got any sleep preparing for and deservedly winning the People's Choice award for their amazing Pickerel Fritters at the Taste Celebration. When we decided to go back to Taste this year as it falls on our anniversary, we looked at the Claramont and Warring House, but in the end, the coziness and people at the Merrill Inn won out over our general desire to try some place new.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Picton
The Waring House
The Queen's Inn
The Queen's Inn
#4 of 5 in Picton
The Miller's House Bed and Breakfast

Been to Merrill Inn? Share your experiences!