“A recommendable resort”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Picton
Toronto, Canada
“A recommendable resort”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We stayed at Isaiah Tubbs Resort for 3 days and 2 nights. We went with 2 more families and we all stayed in Lodge 2. We had a good time there.
The rooms we stay are spacious with kitchenettes. There are clean dishes and pots in the kitchenette of my room. They even provide a wine opener which was very handy for us. The bathroom was very clean and tidy but the facilities were old. The air conditioner was quiet in room 1212 but a bit too noisy in room 1211. The screen house attached to each room was a great addition to the room, and very convenient. The barbeque outside was free to use and the food could be taken through the screen house into the room without having to go to the entrance of the lodge.
The staff was very kind. When we need extra towels (We went to swim and came back to shower in our room.) they brought them right away. When one family’s kids were locked out of the room, the staff came immediately to unlock the door for the kids.
We went to the outdoor pool at Isaiah Tubbs every day of the trip. The pool was very nice, although it had some dead bugs in it which should be cleaned out. There were also lounge chairs by the pool. We did not go to the shore close by because there were rocks by the shoreline in the lake which prevented us from going into the water.
There is one nearby attraction that I would like to mention. There is a sports center just farther down the beach. The kids enjoyed the water tubing. It was a great experience for them. Overall I’d say that this resort is worth the money.

Room Tip: Room 1212 with kitchenette was nice and spacious. Air conditioner in room 1211 was noisy. Room 1...
1 Thank AliceWang2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Milton, Canada
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed at the resort for 2 nights with another couple. I have to say that it was a beautiful place, right on the lake, with very comfortable accomodations. We shared a 2 level unit, which was very spacious, it had a kitchenette that was stocked with all the essentials, a fireplace, comfortable beds, everything was clean and the best part was that it was right next to the beach! We spent the whole day on the beach and then went out on a boat ride....rented a boat right on the site. The boat staff were great, very friendly and they gave a great tour of the area, and the rental price was very reasonable. There is a restaurant right on site which had a great patio and view of the beach. We didnt eat there but only because we wanted to see the town but we wished we had as the menu at the resort looked much better than the restaurant in town.

The staff at the resort were very friendly and helpful. We called the office for extra coffee in the morning and they came right away. The next time we called for toilet paper and again they came right away.

It is a beautiful place and we were thrilled. I purchased a wagjag for this resort and at first I wasnt sure about the place, especially after reading some of the negative reviews, but really I am so glad we went. We are returning to the resort with our kids in August and we can't wait. Thanks for a fabulous time!

Markham, Canada
Reviewed 22 July 2014

To the owners and management staff: Shame on you! How can you be situated on such a prime location in such a beautiful county, and not have any pride of ownership. How can you let what was once probably a wonderful spot for a family vacation to go to such ruin!! Either you are totally inept, or you don't give a damn......because you are NOT spending money on cleaning or maintenance!!!
Here is how we spent our 34th wedding anniversary:
We were booked in one of the rooms in the Inn. We arrived at the room only to have all the dirty linens, bottles and garbage sitting just to the side of the door. Entering the room, there was a smell that could only have been a stale dirty smell. There was a staircase leading up to the full bath on the second floor, which we new about, however we were not advised that it is a very steep staircase. The bathroom on the second floor was in need of maintenance, to say the least. The main floor of the room was dirty, dingy, and smelly.
Upon request, but with absolutely NO apology, we were offered another room at Lodge 1. We were offered the room for an extra $20.00 per night. I accepted it only because many of the inns/motels/cottages in the County were full.
Room 1113 Lodge 1: The screened in porch was filthy. Every single one of the windows was filthy, and when we opened the window, each ledge was filled with dead bugs.....LOTS of dead bugs.
The bathroom floor was mouldy behind the toilet. The sink was badly stained. When we tried to open two of the windows in the main part of the room, the turn handles broke off in our hands. We went to take a shower, only to find that there was absolutely no water pressure, just a little trickle of water coming out of the shower head.
Happy Anniversary! If we didn't make the best of it and have a good laugh, we would have cried!
For the money being charged at Isiah Tubbs, this "resort" should be in immaculate condition, not the disgrace it is. We have stayed at many places in the County for far less money, and they have been excellent!!
Do NOT book this place!!!

Room Tip: Do NOT book.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Linda M

Travellers are raving about these Picton hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I usually try and provide a balanced review of any place we've stayed and share both the high and low points bearing in mind that a lot of variables are involved in the experience at any property. I'm disappointed to say I can't do that for Isaiah Tubbs, and if they hadn't processed my payment in advance would never have stayed.

We spent a night at the resort about two weeks ago before beginning a one week stay in a house rental and can say that the negative comments by other reviewers were absolutely right - I wish I'd checked this site before booking, but we've stayed in the area for many years and driven by many times so thought we knew what to expect.

We were VERY wrong, and will NEVER return ... the price was excessively high for one night in a cottage, but initially I thought it might be worth it for the extra room and view. Not only was it not worth the money, but after complaining to the front desk about the terrible mattresses when checking out and being told "sorry, we've heard that from other guests" I am appalled that management would not bother to listen to customer complaints - clearly this is not a new issue.

We were in cottage 4, here's the list of issues : the door and lock didn't fit or work well, so it either didn't close properly or (the next morning) trapped us inside the cottage requiring rescue by maintenance; the beds and mattresses were terrible - hard and lumpy, worse than my previous worst hotel mattress experience; the fridge was gross, rusted and old - we only kept drinks in there and it was unpleasant opening it every time; the window screens were coming off at least 3 windows and on a hot day/evening meant we couldn't open the windows to get a breeze; the television set had terrible reception - the few channels we could find were mostly snow and impossible to watch; the lodge restaurant (where we had appetizers on the patio to save time) was very under-serviced - it took us 90 minutes to get 3 appetizers and 3 desserts (to go!) and we paid a very high financial premium for not leaving the grounds for dinner; our cottage phone message light was flashing the next morning but message service was unavailable - front desk staff didn't know this until I reported it and they checked their own mail ... I could go on and on but I think I've made my point.

The final straw was the drunken guests (probably a stag) that were in a couple of cottages and partied until late in the evening in the shared central area; once they left, another group started a bonfire on the beach and had very loud drunken conversations from 3-6AM ... when I finally got up to go and speak to them (I now know much more about their relationships than I ever wanted to!) I discovered we were locked in and had to be rescued. I realize that management cannot be held accountable for the behaviour of guests, but they should have been asked to lower their voices or relocate their party. We left as soon as we could that morning.

These cottages are not rustic - they're decrepit and run down. We have stayed in a wide variety of places across Canada and the U.S. and this sets a new low. For more than the price of an excellent room with a view in a 4 star downtown Toronto hotel they should at least provide a decent mattress and address maintenance issues.

We have been vacationing in the County for many years (since I was a child) and love everything about it. We have stayed in several of the local B&B's, motels and house rentals as well as camped at the Park, so we have a reasonable perspective on the range of accommodations available. We will return to the County with pleasure but never to this resort, the only redeeming thing I can say is that the over-priced food at the lodge was OK. Save your money and stay somewhere else.

6 Thank Carmel_McMillan
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Very lovely location, but the cottage was dirty and in dire need of attention. Kitchen counter and taps were falling apart. The sheets on the pullout couch were dirty and had rust on them. We had to by a foam mattress and new sheets for it. The bunk beds in the bedroom were unsafe, one rickety support holding up the top bunk. When we lifted up the picnic table to move it a few feet the seat came off and there was only I plastic outdoor chair provided.
The main building of the resort also looked very rundown. There was an air conditioner in the window, which looked to have mildew all around it and there was a distinct musty smell when we passed by outside.
The priced we paid for this mess was robbery. I've travelled extensively and have never encountered such conditions, even when staying in 3rd world countries in Africa.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the main building or the cottages, the newer lodge buildings may be more acceptabl...
6 Thank Mary H
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Our family consisting of grandparents in their 70’s, kids around 40 and grandchildren from 5 to 9 recently spent time in two cottages on the Isaiah Tubbs property. While rustic, the cottages were perfect for energetic children who wanted to sleep in bunk beds, play games outside and have a screened porch for meals and table games. Our children and their parents liked the space on the grounds for playing games like soccer and frisbee. The inclusion of a pass for the beautiful Sandbanks Provincial Park and having a pool on site contributed to a great time in the water. Grandma appreciated the good Correl dishes and pots and pans for making breakfast and lunch. We went to the on-site restaurant for our evening meals where the food was very good quality and our children were welcomed and well catered to by the wait staff. We had so much fun we are thinking of doing it again!!!

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We stayed in Cottage 5 so I can only comment on the state of this cottage. When we first walked in we were utterly stunned. We now know why they charge the full amount up front. We would have immediately left if it wasn't already paid for. The baseboards looked like they had never been cleaned. We had to cover the pull-out couch with a blanket. The fabric part of the seats of the kitchen chairs were so dirty I had to cover them with towels. When my sister picked up her laptop which had been sitting on the hearth of the fireplace stove it was covered with ants. We had to make a trip into Picton to buy ant traps. Every time we opened a curtain the rod would fall off the window. The hot water tap in the bathroom broke (the water wouldn't turn off) so we had to place a 1 kg jar of peanut butter on the tap to stop it from running. The creaky screen door wouldn't open one day when we were outside so we had to carry the picnic table to the back of the cottage and place it under the kitchen window so I could climb in through the window and open the door from the inside. The mattress on the pull-out was so uncomfortable we had to buy a foam topper - another trip to Picton. On a positive note the staff is extremely friendly and the food in the restaurant is excellent. Unless this resort undergoes some major renovations we won't be returning.

5 Thank Susan W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Picton
The Waring House
#1 of 7 in Belleville
The Queen's Inn
The Queen's Inn
#4 of 5 in Picton

Been to Isaiah Tubbs Resort? Share your experiences!