Isaiah Tubbs Resort
US$218
US$213
Hotels.com
The Queen's Inn(Picton)(Great Value!)
US$158
US$132
US$134
US$129
Merrill Inn(Picton)
All reviewssmall fridge and microwavewest lakescreened in porchget awaysandbanks beachfireplacedunesvineyards
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 March 2009

We booked our wedding with isaiah tubbs for the lovely location and for the fact we could have a weekend event. While the wedding was beautiful, the staff, the rooms, and the cleanliness could have been better.

We had no housekeeping all weekend. We were staying in one of the beach suites for two nights. The room was left empty from 9am until nearly 2pm on the day of the wedding. I thought the bridal suite would be a priority but housekeeping decided not to attend to it. A friend saw someone driving by with a cart of linens when he approached them and asked if the room was to be cleaned. The response from the staff memeber was "Oh, we didn't get around to it." Granted, the room wasn't a disaster, but I didn't want the photographer to come in a take pictures in a messy room. Those are some photographic memories I can't get back.

We had our reception in the The Restaurant on the Knoll. It was beautiful and a great space. Unfortunately we were never informed that it wasn't air conditioned, an important detail they just happened not to tell us. It wasn't that big of a problem because we asked the staff to open a few of the windows. We were given attitude by the staff an the windows were never opened. At one point we opned a sliding glass door to which a staff member came over and rudely closed it without telling us why. Upon further investigation, our party was too noisy for the rest of the guest. It's a wedding reception!

We were also never informed that The Restaurant would be open to the other guests at the resort. This is another detail I would have loved to know about especially since the other patrons decided it was okay to walk across our dance floor to get to the patio and at one point decided it was okay to help themselves to the buffet. We were appalled. The staff didn't do anything to help.

The part that bothered me the most about our wedding weekend was that we were schedule to have a Bride and Groom Sunday Brunch. I was told the resort office would have a sign up log for the brunch (our guests could sign up when they checked in), and the number of attendees would be given to the Restaurant to make a reservation.
Guests who knew about the brunch (that I had told them about earlier) came up to me and said that they were never never asked to sign up. I thought it was strange because I was told so many times that is how it would happen.
So Sunday when it comes time to brunch. We are excited to see our guests one last time before we leave. My family had prepared a small speech to say over brunch. When we got there we were told there were no reservation. They didn't know who we were. We had to sit at four different tables across the room. I was steaming mad because we were told that everything would be taken care of which it apparently wasn't.

I really expected more attention-to-detail from the staff. Unfortunately these issues will always stick out in my mind. It put quite the damper on our wedding weekend. I wrote an email to the staff at isaiah tubbs shortly after the wedding, but never received a response.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
10  Thank sohip
Reviewed 6 March 2009

And if you like a restaurant that "forgot" to put your order in and "forgot" to bring the wine I ordered. The website for this place makes it out to be nice and modern and fun. In reality the rooms are shabby and need an upgrade, the staff is rude, the food is second rate, and the lake is unfit for swimming.

My first room was facing the dirt parking lot and the road. I had to open the windows because the air conditioner was hardly working. Which would have been ok if there wasn't a cloud of dust that blew in the window every time a car went by. In the morning i asked for a different room. The desk clerk tried her hardest to get me to stay where i was, but the threat of leaving without paying made her change her mind. The next room wasn't much better. I had a view of the swimming pool. But the air conditioner still wasn't working right, the room looked like it hasn't been updated since 1975, and there were ants on the floors and a big black bug in the tub. We had originally planned to stay a few more days, but the next morning we packed up and left. I complained to the person at the desk, and while she was apologitic, she didn't even offer a discount on the rate, or any other kind of appeasement.

This place is old, tired and in dire need of major renovations. Or a bulldozer to plow it all under and turn it back in to a campsite.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank slowlyseeingtheworld
Reviewed 14 November 2008

I planned to have my "DREAM" wedding at Isaiah Tubbs resort...little did I know what a nightmare this would soon be. The estimate didnt even come close to what we owed in the end...charges upon charges were made (for what, we don't know seeing as the event planners did absoulutely nothing but take our payments and watch the ceremony) so a couple days before the wedding they phone and say there is a discrepancy and that they are missing a pymt we know we made! So I had to search for the bills in order to clear up their discrepancy (which later I found out was a new system that the incompentent employees who all look under the age of 11 did not know how to work) finally it got cleared up after a whole afternoon of me rummaging through bills (the days before my wedding ugh!) so than they tell me everything us paid in full...nothing more to pay. The day after the wedding they charged 305.00 to my Visa...I complained and they said it was the room (which I actually had paid months before!) so once again I have to look for my bill because of their mistake...after arguing about that another charge of 407.00 is charged againest my Visa (this they say is for PST that was mysteriously missing from the billing) I am so sad that I have to deal with all of this after my wedding. It makes me sick to think these people can get away with doing this to people who are getting married! We are young and just finished school, bought a home, and wasted over 7000.00 on this wedding for nothing! PLEASE DO NOT GET MARRIED THERE! THEY ARE SLY AND WILL TAKE YOU FOR ALL YOU HAVE! WE are even getting lawyers and newspapers involved. The rooms do have dead bugs and stuff in them too. Also all the 11 year olds at the front desk had the nerve to talk about me and my wedding party/guests right when we were there and could hear them! So since I have been telling all of this in email/phone calls to the "event planners" ...all of a sudden I get a phone call from DAN O'NEILL who is the GENERAL MANAGER saying he wants to resolve all these things and than just keeps saying he thinks I have made a mistake and don't get other people involved, we can sort thsi out...but it felt like he was attacking me to just except their mistakes/double billings...so far they have ripped me off 305.92 make sure it doesnt happen to you...down the road in Kingston there are a ton of way better places to spend that amount of money. We had fun at our wedding but it def. was not worth all of this! PLEASE DO NOT GET MARRIED THERE! I would hate for someone else to go through this...but hey who knows what will happen when my lawyer finally gets a hold of their lawyer...it seems like there are A LOT of complaints from other people so just goes to show they obviously are a-holes

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
13  Thank sad_bride013
Reviewed 2 November 2008

The resort has some dated features to be sure. The most aggregious comlaint was the out-of-date washroom with the extremely low water pressure in the shower.

However, we stayed in Lodge # 1, room 1113 and I have to say that we'll definitely be going back in the summer. The room had a great view and a screened porch that was steps from the beach. The view from the room was that of the water and, in the background, Sandbanks, which was voted one of the best beaches in North America in MacLean's magazine.

The on site restaurant served a fantastic, and reasonably priced, meal. Our group had a murder mystery for supper, which turned out to be a blast.

The staff are incredibly accomodating and the common facilities (bar, restuarant, pool area and beaches) are a delight. We'll be going back next summer.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
PictonLanMart, Manager at Isaiah Tubbs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2008

Thank you for taking time to write on Trip Advisor regarding your experience at isaiah tubbs! The statement in regards to water pressure I'm sure is accurate as our water is supplied through wells, and this is a comment we do hear.
Thank you for saying such nice things about our restaurant and staff, and we hope to see you next summer.

Reviewed 28 October 2008

You have 27 bad reviews of 1 point, 28 if you count this one. 12 for 2 points, 4 for 3 points, 5 for 4 points, and 8 for 5. The number 28 is the biggest, and it shows your hotel and property is poorly managed, run down, and your upper management and ownership cares about one thing, and it isn't guests.

Sorry management, but numbers don't lie. Your hotel is not a nice place to stay given the cost. I stayed there a few years ago, and the place was a dump, overpriced, and the service sucked. I was there for a wedding too, and that too was spoiled because of your so-called great hotel. What is up with the air-conditioning? It wasn' t on in the rooms or in the hall. You think saving a few dollars on air-conditioning is worth it? What a stupid thing to do, and I see from other reviews that you have done it with many people.

We the people have spoken, and your outnumbered. Your hotel is not a nice place, and we will make sure we let everyone know this who asks us where to stay in the county.

• Stayed: October 2003, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank putzboy