“An ultimate disappointment”

Isaiah Tubbs Resort
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Picton
Reviewed 14 August 2009

When we stopped in the tourism office in PIcton they said Isaiah Tubbs had a special for $129 a night. I recalled in former years it had a great reputation, but obviously it has not kept up with the times. The room in Lodge 2 was outdated, the carpet covering the stairs was frayed to the point of being hazardous. My main complaint deals with the coffeemaker. It took 45 minutes to make 1/3 of a cup of burned coffee. No housekeeping staff on duty until 8:00, nor was a manager on duty until 8:00. A kind groundskeeper went to the restauraunt and brought coffee to our room. This resort was a huge disappointment in every sense. Not worth the money. Can't wait to leave!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank OntarioMomo

Reviewed 11 August 2009

I stayed with my friend at this resort and together we had 3 kids for a 3 day "girls" getaway (2 moms and 3 girls ranging from 8-10 yrs.). This isn't a cheap resort; it is quite expensive and we paid $240 per nite. We stayed at the inn and our room fronted the outdoor heated swimming people which our girls enjoyed a lot.

The resort has a well maintained outdoor property which really seems to be the focus of the business. The beach and grounds are clean and raked, but the layout is very disorienting with uninspirng landscaping (red geraniums???). Our room was adequate, but smelled a bit musty and my friend thought she smelled urine in one corner. There was poor water pressure in the sink. The refrigerator froze our vegetables. The bathroom area had limited towel racks, which was annoying as we had 5 wet towels and were surrounded by empty wall space!!! As I said, the focus of the resort seems to be on outward maintenance and the needs and comforts of the guests are really not a priority at this resort. Nowhere is this more apparent than the restaurant.

The restaurant is very expensive for the quality of food. I ordered the salmon ($22), which was greasy and tasteless. The plate was decorated with a flower that had an inchworm crawling on it. My friend ordered the fish of the day (marlin) and also was disappointed in the quality and taste. The kids ordered from the kid's menu. Their caesar salad ($4) was the same size as the caesar salad my friend ordered and paid $6-7 from the main menu. Having said that, my house salad was very good. And the local wine recommendation from the server was excellent. But we still felt that we didn't receive good value for the meal which cost about $150.00.

The next day we ate at the Sand Bar (right next to the restaurant and similar menu), but I was also disappointed. I ordered a hamburger with fries because I thought this was a safe order. The fries were very good, but it was the worst hamburger I ever had - burnt, greasy and tough. I was so disappointed.

Anyways, in the morning we were dying for a coffee. I had to walk a fair distance to the restaurant to get it, pleasant enough, but annoying at the same time. The restaurant, although empty at 9 am, was unprepared for an order of 2 take out coffees and actually asked if I could wait 10 minutes!!!!!. I received 2 small cups - and was charged $2 per cup. Given the size of the resort and the price of the rooms, it's crazy not to provide a small take out coffee bar + muffins and croissants, at the opposite end where the inn and the annex are located. Or offer room service. But, this requires considering the needs of the guests and at this resort, the simple comforts that would provide a memorable stay are sadly missing.

Neither one of us can recommend staying here. It's just not good value. Either improve guest services or lower your prices.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Tetiana
Reviewed 6 August 2009

We were celebrating our 30th Anniversay. Got there and the room in the Inn given to us was musty and right on HWY. Got changed to Lodge. No water pressure for shower head. Not much to do at the resort itself. Very expensive for what you get. """Very""" Out dated. Resturant was Good. View is great. Thankfully weather was good or not sure what we would have done.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank brianjacob
Reviewed 12 July 2009

We went for 2 nights to celebrate a family wedding and stayed in one of the lodge suites which has a livingroom, small kitchen area, 1 bedroom and a loft bedroom. The rooms was clean and had pretty much everything we needed (except the towels were pretty bad, really small and scratchy). The beach was nice and the kids went on a banana boat ride (we got coupons at the front desk and they went for free). The pool was really warm and clean as well. There isn't alot for teenagers to do (no scheduled programming) but there is the provincial park and Picton is a nice outing as well. The wedding was really nice, the food was great and the staff really attentive. However, ordering dinner in the restaurant was a bit of an event. We arrived at 7:30 pm the first night and didn't get our food until 9:30! We were a big group (14) but still....it was pretty apparent they are understaffed in the restaurant since this happend to other groups at various times (breakfast and lunch as well). Overall we had a really good time, mostly because we were in the mood to celebrate and tried not to get hung up on the little stuff. It is a rustic resort and as such you have to expect some bugs, dated furniture etc. Some of the people staying ended up in some older accomodations which were tired and not so great. Overall it was a very pleasant stay and we would go back again but probably for no more than 2 or 3 nights.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank siggy4
PictonLanMart, Manager at Isaiah Tubbs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2009

Thank-you for taking the time to write on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at our resort. I am glad to hear that your family enjoyed much that we have to offer and that you would like to return. I do appologize for the Restaurant experience, it may have ended up to be a busier night then was expected. We do hope to host you again in the future.

Reviewed 11 July 2009

My girlfriend and I (mature couple 40's) loved this place, the room with jacuzzi and fireplace, the customer service, the restaurant and the beach right behind it was simply awesome, we both highly recommend this resort to everyone interested in going there. It's also close to the Sandbanks Provincial Park. And please remember, you are the countryside so just make sure you keep your doors closed and screens are okay so that no flys come in - that's what we did and all was great. We would certainly go back again. Have a nice trip... ;-)

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carino09
Reviewed 25 June 2009

I stayed for one night due to a wedding. I will never stay there again. I booked a two bedroom room and when I got there it is was a double bed and a pull out couch with the cushions shoved under the couch. The bathroom plug ins did not work. We left a bag of garabage consiting of chips and cans of pop because there was no where to throw it out and was charged $125 clean up fee. The staff was not friendly and accused us of making guests leave at a time when we were not even in the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
4  Thank 9nicole9

I was very confused by this posting and the statement that you were charged a "cleaning" fee. As was discussed during telephone conversations you were charged for a noise complaint causing other guests to leave their rooms and move at 4:00 in the morning due to your loud party.

Reviewed 22 June 2009

I will never step foot at Isaiah Tubbs again. We were told there was wireless internet in each room, something we needed as my husband needed access to some things for work online. Well it wouldn't connect, so we called front desk and she said hers was working but the guests wireless service was not. Upon checkout I even asked for some kind of discount for the internet issues we had and she she said no. She said the service was down all the way to Kingston....... Still in fairness she could have taken some money off my bill since they advertise something that was not offered during my stay!
The decor reminds me of 1970... The wall paper is peeling, no iron in the room so bring one along. The air conditioner looks like its also from the 1970;s... Its loud and it barely works! Thankfully I packed a fan in case....
Bring rubber boots if its rainy, the parking lots become big mud puddles and we had a wedding to go to and my shoes are ruined.....
Not many channels on the tv so bring some movies.....
The hallways in the lodge are in big need of a paint job. The paint is peeling on the walls in the hall.....

I cannot believe the room was 335.00!!!!!!!! I stayed at the Hilton in Toronto that was bigger than the lodge room and it was only 135.00 a night.....

Also upon checking out I overheard another lady with an ANT PROBLEM!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank brenbabey

The issues with our inernet was not within our control and is a free service. This is not charged to the guest therefore a discount was not applicable. A computer is provided in our Registration Office for guests to use and is always offered in these cases. It is totally understandable that this was annoying to guests, but this was an issue with our internet provider.
Irons are given out upon request and a quick telephone call to our Guest service department would have solved this issue. Our resort is built on a sandy base, there for we can not pave the parking areas, very sorry that it rained on your vacation, but it does happen. Our sattellite provides 25 channels, we don't find this to be a problem for most guests on vacation.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Picton
6 mi away
Twin Birch Suites & Cottages
Twin Birch Suites & Cottages
#3 of 13 in Wellington
The Miller's House Bed and Breakfast

Been to Isaiah Tubbs Resort? Share your experiences!