“Great Dinner with Friends”
Review of Clara's Restaurant

Clara's Restaurant
Ranked #32 of 76 Restaurants in Picton
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 September 2013 via mobile

A must if you are staying in the area. We had the room/meal plan, and it turned out to be a great value for the quality of food. The service was impressive and the waitor made our evening even more special. I would highly recommend this plan as both meals - dinner and breakfast were fantastic. We will be back.

1  Thank Scott W
Norah R, Owner at Clara's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2013

hello Scott,

thank you very much for staying with us and for writing about your experience..
it is always great to be able to share feedback from guests with all here at the Claramount.
Thank you very, very much!!

if you like to stay in touch with us, like us on Facebook or sign up for our newsletter on our website. We are posting specials on a regular basis.. specials about the Inn and the area!

and please do share your experience with others.

Wolfgang Stichnothe

There are newer reviews for Clara's Restaurant

Reviewed 29 August 2013

The dining room is a beautiful old-fashioned high-ceilinged room, surrounded by a veranda where you can eat outside. I didn't have a reservation but the main waiter, who was also sort of serving as maitre d', quickly invented a table for me. He was a highlight of the visit - wish I could remember his name. He had that magic ability to treat everybody the way they want to be treated, so with me he was funny and snarky. (At other tables he was more formal.) Service was perfectly paced, yet efficient, and totally charming. (He had a nervous young underling who actually brought the food and ground the ubiquitous freshly ground pepper.)

Good wine list although not too many by the glass. They didn't have an oaky chard by the glass (no surprise in Canada) but he steered me to a local (Prince Edward County) medium-dry Riesling that was really good. I had a beet and chevre salad that was very good, and then pickerel, pan-fried with a honey/lager crust, which was fabulous. Sweet pepper tartar sauce. They managed to get the skin so crispy that I ate all of it, and I'm not usually fond of fish skin. I don't remember details of the starch/vegetables but everything was delicious. If I ever go back to Picton I must investigate staying at the Claramount Inn - it may be out of my price range, but based on the restaurant I bet it's lovely.

1  Thank FoodieOnAHarley
Reviewed 15 April 2013 via mobile

Had breakfast as a part of a 2-night Jaunt deal and it was great. Options included omelette, crepe, waffle, home made granola...no complaints! Dinner was part of Countylicous and I had delicious scallops, breaded pickerel and a fab chocolate cake all for $35. Husband had an amazing leek, cheddar and ale soup, bacon wrapped pork tenderloin and choc cake too. Service by Lesley was wonderful as she shared lots of tips about the County. Previous reviews don't seem at all justified or maybe changes have been made. We had a great dinner/breakfast and highly recommend. Do call ahead in the off season though as they weren't busy and would need to know you are coming.

1  Thank JogRFer
Reviewed 6 November 2012 via mobile

I was very impressed with the breakfast which was included with our stay. We had previously stayed in the spring and found the continental breakfast limiting for someone who can't eat gluten. What a pleasant change - my smoked salmon eggs Benedict were divine. It included bacon (or sausage), toast and the best hash browns I have eaten. My husband's wild mushroom omelette was very good and was just a generous a serving as my eggs. We didn't have dinner at the restaurant this time but did very much enjoy our meal in the spring. I don't feel the restaurant deserves to be ranked so lowly.

1  Thank geegeeOttawa
Reviewed 24 September 2012

6 of us in Picton for 4 days and our first dinner there terrible . First we had a reservation for 7:30 and since we were running a little late called to say we will be there but might be closer to 8. This was unacceptable to the lady who answered the phone citing it was very busy. We hustled along and got there at 7:35. And found only one other couple in the place. 2 sour servers made many heavy sighs as we asked about the menu. They were impatient and when asked where the lamb was from walked to the door of the kitchen and yelled at the chef for an answer. One had the sirloin, it was chewy and grisly, left most of it in chewed clumps on the plate which the server when clearing said nothing. One had the pasta and was bland and tepid in temperature. 2 had the fish special which was clearly under cooked as the skin would not come off. The most disappointing was the servers who had no smiles or sense of humor and clearly uninterested in making a gratuity.

1  Thank Krista S