“Great service, average food.”
Review of Clara's Restaurant

Clara's Restaurant
Ranked #29 of 79 Restaurants in Picton
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 1 July 2014

we had 3 breakfasts and a dinner so we tried most breakfasts between the 2 of us. First the servers couldn't be better, they really did a great job of hosting guests. The food while all decent, did not live up to expectations just very basic choices with really average presentation. Too bad, this could be an amazing experience if they freshen up the decor and improve the food quality and presentation.

1  Thank SlipperyJoe

Reviewed 26 May 2014

We had dinner here recently with friends, while staying overnight at the inn. Starters included the daily soup (butternut squash), roasted mushroom pate plate, and Cajun gulf shrimp. All were good. Three of the four in our party ordered the stuffed chicken breast of the day, with the daily ingredients being asparagus, spinach, red peppers, and chevre. The filling and the chicken were very flavorful. Accompanying sides - assorted local vegetables and potato were a little bland and some pieces too hard (perhaps undercooked a bit). The fourth in our party ordered the East Coast Galaria (assorted seafood over capellini with a garlic cream sauce) that was a hit. There were a few desserts ordered by our friends, but I regret that I can't recall what they were. Service was fine. They had a nice, although not extensive wine list, with a selection of both local and imported wines.

1  Thank pasbuffalo
Reviewed 17 September 2013 via mobile

A must if you are staying in the area. We had the room/meal plan, and it turned out to be a great value for the quality of food. The service was impressive and the waitor made our evening even more special. I would highly recommend this plan as both meals - dinner and breakfast were fantastic. We will be back.

1  Thank Scott W
Norah R, Owner at Clara's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2013

hello Scott,

thank you very much for staying with us and for writing about your experience..
it is always great to be able to share feedback from guests with all here at the Claramount.
Thank you very, very much!!

if you like to stay in touch with us, like us on Facebook or sign up for our newsletter on our website. We are posting specials on a regular basis.. specials about the Inn and the area!

and please do share your experience with others.

Wolfgang Stichnothe

Reviewed 29 August 2013

The dining room is a beautiful old-fashioned high-ceilinged room, surrounded by a veranda where you can eat outside. I didn't have a reservation but the main waiter, who was also sort of serving as maitre d', quickly invented a table for me. He was a highlight of the visit - wish I could remember his name. He had that magic ability to treat everybody the way they want to be treated, so with me he was funny and snarky. (At other tables he was more formal.) Service was perfectly paced, yet efficient, and totally charming. (He had a nervous young underling who actually brought the food and ground the ubiquitous freshly ground pepper.)

Good wine list although not too many by the glass. They didn't have an oaky chard by the glass (no surprise in Canada) but he steered me to a local (Prince Edward County) medium-dry Riesling that was really good. I had a beet and chevre salad that was very good, and then pickerel, pan-fried with a honey/lager crust, which was fabulous. Sweet pepper tartar sauce. They managed to get the skin so crispy that I ate all of it, and I'm not usually fond of fish skin. I don't remember details of the starch/vegetables but everything was delicious. If I ever go back to Picton I must investigate staying at the Claramount Inn - it may be out of my price range, but based on the restaurant I bet it's lovely.

1  Thank FoodieOnAHarley
Reviewed 15 April 2013 via mobile

Had breakfast as a part of a 2-night Jaunt deal and it was great. Options included omelette, crepe, waffle, home made granola...no complaints! Dinner was part of Countylicous and I had delicious scallops, breaded pickerel and a fab chocolate cake all for $35. Husband had an amazing leek, cheddar and ale soup, bacon wrapped pork tenderloin and choc cake too. Service by Lesley was wonderful as she shared lots of tips about the County. Previous reviews don't seem at all justified or maybe changes have been made. We had a great dinner/breakfast and highly recommend. Do call ahead in the off season though as they weren't busy and would need to know you are coming.

1  Thank JogRFer