The Waring House
US$150
The Queen's Inn(Picton)(Great Value!)
US$160
Merrill Inn(Picton)
Hotels.com
  • Pool
  • Fitness centre
All reviewsbarley roomthe pubcooking schoolquaker lodgecooking classheritage lodgedining roomvineyard viewprince edward countystone cottagecheddar soupking bedadirondack chairsantique furniturehome friesfrench toastfine dining
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I always check out the burger of a new place. If it is awesome, then I will spend $50 on the lamb, which we all know, is often poorly cooked.
My burger was overcooked, dry, and unappealing. Although it is summer, I went there on a Monday evening, and really? The service made me embarrassed that I left a tip.
For the prices of this place, I expected a little more.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sherry G
Peter L, Public Relations Manager at The Waring House, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2014

We're sorry to hear that your meal with us failed to live up to your expectations. Our burgers are freshly ground on site, and are usually quite popular, but it seems in this particular instance, the food fell short. We'd like to extend our apologies and an assurance that this is not representative of what our food is normally like. If you come to visit us again, I'm confident that you would find the food to be much better.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Our stay here was very nice. We had a beautiful room with a fireplace and a patio with a hot tub (we did not use either but it was great to have). Our room backed on to a farmers field and it was very peaceful. We ate at the restaurant and it was pleasant enough. Staff was very accommodating.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Norah R, Public Relations Manager at The Waring House, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Thanks for your recommendation. We're so glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We arrived at 3pm, which is the check in time. We waited to check in because there was only one person at the desk and she was on the phone and had quite a lengthy conversation with someone looking to book. An older lady walked in after us and was served first even though we had been waiting, which I thought was very rude on both women’s accounts. I really think the staff member should have asked us first even if the lady budded since we had been waiting almost 10 minutes already. At the desk she didn’t know if the room was ready because she didn’t get an update from the cleaning staff yet. When we got to the room the door was open and some guy was fixing the shower door so we had to wait a little longer. We stayed in room 105 in the Heritage Lodge, which was a premium room with a queen bed that seemed small but we’re used to a king bed so maybe that was why. It also had an outdoor hot tub, which we never used. The room was $299 per night plus tax. We got this room because it was one of the only ones left and it had a queen bed. There was a safe, tv, fridge, and fireplace. When we came in there were flies and bugs on the door leading to the patio and the sink and shower didn’t look like they were cleaned well (some small stuff in both). Even after the first night they didn’t seem to clean the bathroom well and the shower definitely hadn’t been cleaned. I was not thrilled at first but after we left I realized it wasn’t that bad although I never expected this kind of service given what we paid. A review I read also stated for this price they should provide bottled water daily in the room, which I agree with given that I’ve stayed at places for this price and received much more (including snacks). I also didn’t like that the towels were on open shelves that hadn’t been dusted and there were no hooks near the sink to hang your towels. On tripadvisor some reviews complained about the rooms not being soundproofed, especially in the Quaker Lodge. I asked if this had been fixed before I booked and they said yes. At times I could hear the people above us walking and other times I could hear talking and music playing when I was in the bathroom. Despite this, noise really wasn't an issue for us; although it would depend on who happened to be staying there while you were there. Breakfast was pretty good. However I found it awkward that although breakfast was included they brought a bill to our table and when we asked why it was so we knew how much to tip. I think that when breakfast is included the staff should be paid more because people don’t usually think to tip (or even bring their wallets) when something is supposed to be included in your stay (especially at the price we paid). If you’re going to include something in your rates then it should include gratuity. Also when I was looking to book I looked into some of the packages and decided not to purchase any of them because they do not give you a discount. You would pay the same if you had not booked a package and purchased each part of it individually, which defeats the purpose. If you want people to buy a package then there should be an incentive (ie. The person saves money). Because of this we didn’t have any meals other than breakfast at The Waring House. The accomodations were ok but I would expect much better service, especially cleaning, given the price.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank TONadia
Norah R, Owner at The Waring House, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

I'm very sorry to hear that you found your stay with us unsatisfactory. I've noted that you feel our rooms are overpriced, but allow me to highlight some things about our hotel that I believe make our rooms a great value.

You had mentioned that previous reviews had raised concerns about sound transmission. This past winter and spring we had extensive renovations done to enhance the soundproofing between the rooms in the Quaker and Heritage lodges. Since that time, we haven't had noise complaints from our guests.

All of our rooms are individually and tastefully decorated with much higher than average quality furniture and fabrics. Our rooms have extra large bathrooms, with quality amenities.

We have gone to extraordinary expense to be environmentally sustainable with solar powered hot water and geothermally powered heating and air conditioning. While we can appreciate that some guests may feel uneasy about drinking the tap water, we have a state-of-the art water filtration system. Bottles used for drinking water represent a major source of plastic waste, so our environmental concern leads us to avoid using them.

We use high quality feather (not foam) bedding made here in Canada.

With regard to the breakfast bill: servers will not work without the opportunity to receive a gratuity and guests have told us they don't like it when it is added automatically. Giving the customer a zeroed out breakfast bill allows them to make an informed decision about tripping the server while not forcing them to do so. It is by no means a perfect solution, but it is the best we've been able to devise.

Thank you for taking the time to write your critique. We appreciate your feedback. If we are going to ask our guests for $299 then we do try to provide a $299 experience.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We stayed at the Waring House over the August long weekend. We had a spacious room in the Quaker Lodge with a large balcony (where we kept our bicycles). Overall, we enjoyed our stay. Our bed was comfortable and the room was quiet. Breakfast was included each morning, and the choice and quality was great - we particularly enjoyed the maple strawberry and banana french toast. We were also pleasantly surprised by the delicious dinner that we had at the Amelia Garden Restaurant (paired with local wines). The service was friendly and knowledgeable, and the food was very good.

We did feel that the quality of service at reception could be improved. At check in, we were misquoted the total price of our stay, and the young woman at the desk was distracted and not particularly friendly. On our check out day, we asked if we could possibly get a late check out (1 PM instead of 11 AM). In our experience, many better quality hotels will grant this if possible. We were immediately told that this was impossible as there were so many checkouts on that day, which didn't seem to be a reason for declining a late checkout request. Finally, we would suggest to the inn owners that they consider an update of the furnishings (particularly the carpeting) and some enhanced landscaping. The Waring House is on a sprawling, well-located property, but much of that property is covered with asphalt, which we thought a shame.
Negatives aside, we enjoyed our stay at the inn, and would definitely consider staying there again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Karen F

We're very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at The Waring House. The kitchen takes great pride in the food they serve and I'm sure they would be pleased that you found the dining agreeable.

As for your areas of concern, we apologize that we couldn't offer late check-out. Without knowing the particulars in your case, we are often unable to do late check-outs since we have so many unique rooms. Guests often request specific ones, and a late check out means our housekeeping staff might not have an opportunity to adequately clean it before the next guest arrives.

As for the amount of asphalt: Green space is important to us, and that's why we've maintained our lovely gardens behind Waring Hall and Amelia's Garden and plenty of green space in front of our main house, but of course we also need to ensure adequate parking for our guests and restaurant patrons, so practicality forces us to balance the two. what we have is the best balance we believe we can come up with for our property. We hope you agree.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We spent three nights in the Heritage building. Breakfast and dinner were included in the package and it was fabulous. We did the cooking school on one night and it was a great time with great food that we cooked ( with lots of help though). We even made the ice cream!
although the room was nicely appointed, the walls were pretty thin. We heard the people upstairs walking around late into the night.
Service in the restaurants was excellent at breakfast and one dinner and the cooking school. The waiter on our last evening there needs some upgrading!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

We're so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We'll pass on your compliments to Luis, our executive chef and Jordon, our cookery school director. Thanks for taking the time to write a review.