“Sandbanks”

Sandbanks Provincial Park
Ranked #1 of 46 things to do in Picton
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Best park in the world-- well, the beaches are for sure. There are 3 of them and as beautiful ( and safe) as you would see anywhere. If you plan to camp, you need to phone early on the first day it opens, or you won' t get in in July or August. We go there a lot .

1  Thank Joyce J

Reviewed 25 November 2013

In any season and in any weather, Sandbanks is a beautiful spot. You can be as active as you'd like or sit and stare at the horizon. Often at sunset, the water looks like molten silver.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

It's our perfect summer destination - sitting under a tree on top of a huge sand dune looking out at the lake and reading a book, chatting or listening to a podcast. Plus watching the deer walking past, eagles overhead and foxes rolling in the sand. We came here on holiday (from the UK) for some 10 years and emigrated to Picton in 2012; our choice of Picton was largely based on its proximity to Sandbanks!

The great thing is that most people head to the main beaches. The dunes are very much quieter and prettier (imho). Rather than going to the main park entrance just drive down the 12 from Bloomfield but ignore the Sandbanks sign and don't turn left by the church. Instead carry straight on, and you'll find the day-use car park for the dunes on your right hand side after 2 km or so. There's a ticket machine there. And a small beach. And a summer-time cafe. Walk into the dunes for 10 minutes and you are on your own with nature.

4  Thank HoHumAnotherTrip
Reviewed 25 November 2013

A great povincial park with a variety of trails and beautiful beaches. A perfect spot for all ages in all seasons. The park is closed now but you can still enter and enjoy walks among the dunes or on the trails. Walking the beach in winter you can experience an awesome frozen landscape and interesting ice formations.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

I love Sandbanks; plain and simple. It is perfect for friends, families and couples. We wanted to camp there but it is close to impossible to get a campground in July. You must really book in advance. As for the beach, it left me speechless. I thought beaches like that only existed in the south. The sand was white and the water was clear. I had the water up to my knees and I still saw my toes. Now, don't underestimate the power of the Canadian sun. My boyfriend and I didn't put much sunblock on and man did we get burnt! As though we spent a day in Cuba with no sunblock. I got heat stroke that night...SO WEAR PROTECTION!