“Great Vineyard Getaway”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Picton
Claramount Inn & Spa
Ranked #22 of 41 Picton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 September 2013 via mobile

We had a really enjoyable stay at the Claramount Inn. We used this beautiful hotel as our base for some vineyard tours. The hotel is very charming, clean and elegant. We stayed in room 1 and it was lovely, very clean and spacious. We had a wonderful dinner at their restaurant, highly recommend, and used the outdoor hot tub afterwards. To improve the Inn's outdoor space, they need to update the hot tub and area around it. The tub is too small, the area is too dark, and the ambient lighting contained mostly burnt out light bulbs. Nevertheless, we will be back.

• Stayed: September 2013
Norah R, Owner at Claramount Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2013

Dear Scott,

thank you very much for your visit and for writing about it.. I am glad you did enjoy your stay with us.
I noted your comments about the hot tub and the lights etc.. and we will try to address this soon.

thank you again and we hope you will visit us again

Norah Rogers
Owner

Reviewed 17 September 2013

Suite 1 and 2. I start my review by giving the two suite numbers which were occupied, as I was dismayed by the state of these two suites and perhaps other suites may are in better shape. All other things considered, I would like to assign a 4.5 rating to this hotel given the architecture, grounds, facilities, food and helpful staff - BUT - The rugs in both suites were filthy, I repeat very dirty. The state was reported to the staff who informed us that they were cleaned once a year as if that explanation justified the rooms' condition. In addition, all upholstered furniture was in a sorry state. Two easy chairs in suite 1 showed foam rubber through worn material and arm covers which had 2 inch holes in the totally worn material. Dirt is not acceptable for 200 dollars per night or 95 for that matter. The bathroom was spotless but light fixtures were covered in thick dust and upholstery was very dusty when beaten gently. The mattress was not exceptional but linens were very high quality. The food was excellent and well served. Such a pity to have to report as I must.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I had dined at the restaurant a few years ago, and was quite impressed. Thus when in Picton on the Labour Day long week-end, I decided to see if I could get a last minute booking and try out their accommodations. There was a room available in the Carriage House, and we took it.

On check-in, I was told that it was a "smoke-free environment". To me, that meant no smoking on the grounds. This worked for us.

We entered the room and I must say, I was quite overwhelmed by all the curtains. Okay, so there are lots of windows, and curtains are a good thing. But what was missing were the sheer curtains so that you could appreciate the light, but get a little privacy. Just felt claustrophobic with all that dark, heavy fabric.

On the whole, not a big deal though. What was a big deal was the fact that the people in the next room were pretty much chain-smoking on the balcony - next door to us - and unless you wanted to close all windows and stay holed up inside, you just couldn't get away from it. So I guess it wasn't a smoke-free "environment". Next thing we experienced was what I can only guess was our next door neighbours taking a 30 minute shower. The noise through the pipes and walls was hideous.

Moving on, upon using our bathroom I had the toilet paper holder fall off the wall, and then found frayed, threadbare towels on the rack.

So now with windows locked shut in order to keep the smoke out (so much for experiencing the relaxing sound of crickets in the night air), there begins an aggravating, droning noise, still painfully audible through the closed windows. An air conditioning unit nearby? The laundry room? Who knows. Never stopped though.

Next morning came the obvious check out time for our next door neighbours. I could all but make out every word they uttered as they prepared to leave, so thin the walls.

When we checked out ourselves, I mentioned a few of the issues. The girl on the desk couldn't have cared less. She didn't even understand the property's rules regarding smoking. Apparently people weren't supposed to smoke in their rooms or on their balconies. It had nothing to do with courtesy, though, but rather was because of the age of the building and the fire hazard, as I understand it.

So there you have it. 200 dollars spent, nothing but bad memories.

I highly recommend the Devonshire (which is under renovation and promises to be even better than before) ... or even Lake on the Mountain Resort.

All this said, this was the Carriage House, and perhaps the rooms in the main house are better! Don't think I want to drop another $200 to find out though.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

We made a reservation on short notice and had no particular expectations other than that it be clean and quiet. It was far more than that and we were instantly enchanted by the spaciousness and comfort of our room. Truly was a delight and we started planning a near-future re-visit. On checkout though, we were asked "Have you left a gratuity for the chambermaid?" Perhaps they thought they were providing a service, i.e. providing the convenience of simply adding this to our checkout total, but frankly, I was shocked. While this is something we almost always normally do, I consider it a private matter and of no business with the front desk. This was pushy and unnecessary. I'm not sure we'll go back.

2  Thank VideoTed
Reviewed 25 August 2013

This was our second visit to the Claramount Inn. We have now stayed in two rooms. The rooms are well appointment with comfortable beds and robes. For the age of the inn, we have always found the rooms to be clean and in good working order. The front desk attendants are a bit officious - arrived at 1pm - all the room doors were open - but were told - check in was at 3pm - which was fine - just wanted a map - but there was no way they would check you in early - so, don't try. We enjoy the restaurant - having had two dinner meals - both were very good and the service more than adequate. Our breakfast the next morning was excellent and the service was attentive. Overall, a good experience but just average for the rate.

Room Tip: We have stayed upstairs and downstairs - both were nice rooms but you do hear the footsteps of those...
1  Thank 0859JC
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Great rooms. Well sized and appointed. Our room had a private balcony for two with a nice view.
The breakfasts are included and very good. The staff is attentive and very helpful. We had dinner there and the waiter (Rick I think) was outstanding. The food however was mediocre at best. The great service and view from the balcony compensated a little but we still left feeling the food could be a lot better! Especially for the cost. It would also be great if there was access to a kettle somewhere. Tea drinkers are forced to make it in the room's coffee maker, which is never ideal. Otherwise the place was great. We will return, bring a kettle and eat dinner in town.

Reviewed 16 August 2013

We chose the Claramount Inn as a place to enjoy one of several honeymoon dinners. We were initial drawn in by the stunning house facade and architecture, which does not disappoint. What was a big disappointment, though, is the outdated decor of the formal dining room - small and stuffy to say the least. The meal was monotone, lacking seasoning. The waitress pleasant, though somewhat pushy at times. Dessert was a shared portion of pie that we ordered as take-out. When it came to the table, we questioned it's size for the $6.00 price. Returning from the kitchen, our waitress informed us that indeed there had been no mistake, the piece was meant be two mouthfuls - I'm not kidding. Overall, we foodies were very disappointed with what should have been, in our minds, a memorable experience.

Room Tip: We did not stay at the Inn - only there for dinner.
2  Thank BrenLau K