“Misquote” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Claramount Inn & Spa

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Picton
Claramount Inn & Spa
Ranked #18 of 43 Picton B&B and Inns
Courtice
“Misquote”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

My husband and i stayed in the Carriage house over the Thanksgiving weekend. I was sent a quote for 3 nights $518 ( still have the e-mail), when we got our bill we were charged an extra $174 for the extra night. I shot them off an e-mail and asked if they would honour what they had quoted us and the answer was no. We definately won't be returning to this establishment.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FranCourtice
Norah R, Owner at Claramount Inn & Spa, responded to this review, 9 November 2013
Dear FranCourtice.

I am sorry that you did not feel good about your stay at the Inn and unfortunately I am not aware of your experience. Sometimes it does happen that one makes a mistake but I feel that our Inn justifies our rates.

We do hope you will return again one day.

Owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Kingston, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

I have to echo what m3g4n2013 noted about poor communication. The only time they appear to answer the phone is at check-in time. Messages left by phone may or may not get a response. They passed up the opportunity for a reservation for 20 for breakfast. Silly.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Adg13G
Dear ADG from Kingston,

I like to apologize to you for responding to this post only today.. you might say that is consistent with your experience.. I only started responding to reviews today and I promise, I will do this from now on daily..
I am so sorry that we did not return your call immediately, yes, it is our loss and I fully understand that you were disappointed but I also hope, that you try us again..

So sorry,

Kingston, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

Last summer we rented the Claramount for our wedding party and close family to stay in, for the weekend of our wedding. I have never seen such poor communication between staff in my life.

We called to book an appointment months before to see if we could rent the Claramount and have our rehersal dinner and morning after brunch there as well. The manager and the head chef agreed to meet with us on a Saturday afternoon so we could discuss the menu and renting the rooms and spa. When we arrived that day, neither the manager or the chef were there (we had driven from 3 hours away). We had to wait another 2 hours for them to show. During the meeting we agreed to rent some of the rooms Friday night (the others would be available for other patrons), all of the rooms Saturday night, a buffet style rehersal dinner for ~$35 on Friday night and a buffet for Sunday morning.

A few weeks before the wedding the chef was unreachable. My mother in law phoned and emailed several times (either he wasn't there, or he didn't respond). Three days before the wedding the chef emails my mother in law to tell her that the dinner now needs to cost $75/pp (instead of the original $35/pp) to make up for the lack of patrons who would otherwise come to the restaurant for dinner. We simply could not afford that and had to find another restaurant for the rehersal dinner. (We had a delicious dinner at Pomodoro's in Wellington. They were kind enough to book us a private room and host our entire rehersal dinner with 3 days notice. It was delicious and we had wonderful service!).

Friday night, when we came back to the Claramount we were told there would be no cots available for those sharing rooms. Even though I had offered to show which guests would be staying in which rooms earlier and what cots would be needed. I insisted, at the minimum, that my 88 year old grandfather and 60 year old aunt could not share a bed, the clerk at the desk insisted they had no cots and that was "too bad".

The next morning (the day of our wedding), the clerk pulls one of my bridesmaids (BRIDESMAID!) aside and tells her that there WERE cots available last night, but we will have to pay for ALL of the rooms (including the ones we did not rent). Excuse me? We were more than willing to rent the other rooms out on Friday night and we asked to show the desk clerk what rooms would need cots. My bridesmaid excused herself and the desk clerk and my mom had to discuss why we would not be paying for the unused rooms. If the Claramount is going to charge us for all the rooms, but not give us cots, at least let the guests each have their own rooms. It made no sense to me and I thought it was unexcusable that they brought this up right before we were about to leave for my wedding ceremony and to one of my bridesmaids, who has nothing to do with it.

That morning the spa staff were wonderful and completely organized. They did a great job with our nails and makeup before the wedding and we were all ready on time. When we returned home late that night, from our wedding, we were taken care of by a friendly security guard before we all went to bed.

The next morning we were surprised to see there was no brunch laid out. I suppose the cancelled rehersal dinner meant the chef cancelled our brunch as well. Approximately 30-40 guests and wedding party members had to order off the menu and it was extremely slow. My husband and I (the bride and groom) were the last to eat. The waitress was rude and complained to us that the kitchen had "no idea" there were this many people coming for breakfast. When I asked to have eggs benedict without the asparagus I was told "no, that's too confusing". Our guests felt uncomfortable.

Finally, when we were paying our bills that morning, my family still had to negotiate extra fees the Claramount was asking us to pay. We were told that the owner would be contacting us because of all the trouble we had. We never got a phone call or an email. By this time we were too frustrated to pursue it, we'd had enough.

Perhaps the Claramount is a good place to stay as an individual or a couple. They simply could not handle a large party like ourselves and I was shocked at the lack of communication between the staff. Not once did we see the manager or head chef, who we originally negotiated with. I am assuming they booked the rooms for us and nothing else, because none of the staff seemed to be aware of the previous arrangements we had made. I would not recommend the Claramount because they are so disorganized, rude and overpriced.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank m3g4n2013
Norah R, Guest Relations Manager at Claramount Inn & Spa, responded to this review, 9 November 2013
While I am just reviewing the comments on Trip Advisor for the Claramount, I like to respond first to this particular comment. Yes, there were some serious mistakes made at the time of this event, and I know the Management apologized sincerely for this.
I like to point out, that this did happen in October of 2012!! therefore I am a little surprised that this was posted again.

Norah Rogers,
El Paso, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013 via mobile

We had a really enjoyable stay at the Claramount Inn. We used this beautiful hotel as our base for some vineyard tours. The hotel is very charming, clean and elegant. We stayed in room 1 and it was lovely, very clean and spacious. We had a wonderful dinner at their restaurant, highly recommend, and used the outdoor hot tub afterwards. To improve the Inn's outdoor space, they need to update the hot tub and area around it. The tub is too small, the area is too dark, and the ambient lighting contained mostly burnt out light bulbs. Nevertheless, we will be back.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Scott,

thank you very much for your visit and for writing about it.. I am glad you did enjoy your stay with us.
I noted your comments about the hot tub and the lights etc.. and we will try to address this soon.

thank you again and we hope you will visit us again

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

Suite 1 and 2. I start my review by giving the two suite numbers which were occupied, as I was dismayed by the state of these two suites and perhaps other suites may are in better shape. All other things considered, I would like to assign a 4.5 rating to this hotel given the architecture, grounds, facilities, food and helpful staff - BUT - The rugs in both suites were filthy, I repeat very dirty. The state was reported to the staff who informed us that they were cleaned once a year as if that explanation justified the rooms' condition. In addition, all upholstered furniture was in a sorry state. Two easy chairs in suite 1 showed foam rubber through worn material and arm covers which had 2 inch holes in the totally worn material. Dirt is not acceptable for 200 dollars per night or 95 for that matter. The bathroom was spotless but light fixtures were covered in thick dust and upholstery was very dusty when beaten gently. The mattress was not exceptional but linens were very high quality. The food was excellent and well served. Such a pity to have to report as I must.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Thornhill, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

I had dined at the restaurant a few years ago, and was quite impressed. Thus when in Picton on the Labour Day long week-end, I decided to see if I could get a last minute booking and try out their accommodations. There was a room available in the Carriage House, and we took it.

On check-in, I was told that it was a "smoke-free environment". To me, that meant no smoking on the grounds. This worked for us.

We entered the room and I must say, I was quite overwhelmed by all the curtains. Okay, so there are lots of windows, and curtains are a good thing. But what was missing were the sheer curtains so that you could appreciate the light, but get a little privacy. Just felt claustrophobic with all that dark, heavy fabric.

On the whole, not a big deal though. What was a big deal was the fact that the people in the next room were pretty much chain-smoking on the balcony - next door to us - and unless you wanted to close all windows and stay holed up inside, you just couldn't get away from it. So I guess it wasn't a smoke-free "environment". Next thing we experienced was what I can only guess was our next door neighbours taking a 30 minute shower. The noise through the pipes and walls was hideous.

Moving on, upon using our bathroom I had the toilet paper holder fall off the wall, and then found frayed, threadbare towels on the rack.

So now with windows locked shut in order to keep the smoke out (so much for experiencing the relaxing sound of crickets in the night air), there begins an aggravating, droning noise, still painfully audible through the closed windows. An air conditioning unit nearby? The laundry room? Who knows. Never stopped though.

Next morning came the obvious check out time for our next door neighbours. I could all but make out every word they uttered as they prepared to leave, so thin the walls.

When we checked out ourselves, I mentioned a few of the issues. The girl on the desk couldn't have cared less. She didn't even understand the property's rules regarding smoking. Apparently people weren't supposed to smoke in their rooms or on their balconies. It had nothing to do with courtesy, though, but rather was because of the age of the building and the fire hazard, as I understand it.

So there you have it. 200 dollars spent, nothing but bad memories.

I highly recommend the Devonshire (which is under renovation and promises to be even better than before) ... or even Lake on the Mountain Resort.

All this said, this was the Carriage House, and perhaps the rooms in the main house are better! Don't think I want to drop another $200 to find out though.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

We made a reservation on short notice and had no particular expectations other than that it be clean and quiet. It was far more than that and we were instantly enchanted by the spaciousness and comfort of our room. Truly was a delight and we started planning a near-future re-visit. On checkout though, we were asked "Have you left a gratuity for the chambermaid?" Perhaps they thought they were providing a service, i.e. providing the convenience of simply adding this to our checkout total, but frankly, I was shocked. While this is something we almost always normally do, I consider it a private matter and of no business with the front desk. This was pushy and unnecessary. I'm not sure we'll go back.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple