“Tip of the hat to Chef Sullivan”
Review of Merrill Inn

Merrill Inn
Ranked #6 of 74 Restaurants in Picton
Price range: US$24 - US$48
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Experience inspired County Bistro cuisine in an inviting and intimate setting. Chef Michael Sullivan combines his vast Toronto experience with his passion to feature the best of Prince Edward County The wine list comprises a representation of both fine wines of The County, international vintages, local beer, cider and spirits Seasonal outdoor dining is also available
Ottawa
“Tip of the hat to Chef Sullivan”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Lovely dinner at the Merrill Inn as part of an all-inclusive..

Chef Sullivan deserves his accolades.

Lovely choices accompanied by local wines (Extra charge).

Duck with blueberries was exceptional.

Veal dish of the day Very Good.

Appetizer of Calamari Putanesca accompanied by Grange Pinot Gris a definite highlight as well.

Other wine pairings actually disappointing..

Very tiny restaurant (outside closed due to inclement weather)..

Very good - but room for improvement.

• Visited June 2014

Bloomfield, Canada
“A lovely evening and a very good meal”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

My husband and I went to the Merrill Inn for dinner last night...For my starter I chose the prawn and scallop gratin which was excellent and for my main I chose the featured meat dish which was veal scallopini with an oyster mushroom sauce served over spaetzles (little handmade dumplings) -- very good, although the sauce was pretty rich. I had the cheese selection instead of a sweet dessert -- the cheeses were excellent. My husband had the crab cake as an appetizer which he said was really really good and he chose the featured fish which was salmon and scallops with veg, again very good. He had the apple pie and ice cream -- there was nothing left on his plate, so you know it was a good pie! The wine choices were really very good. We will definitely go back -- it's a little on the pricey side, but the quality of the food was high.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank jand87
Brampton, Canada
“Don't get excited .............”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

As previously mentioned comments I too feel that the dining room is really cramped...no denying with space confinement as it is...and I don't remember what the dinner was but that means to me that it was not extraordinary or I would have recalled the food. Sorry...I do remember climbing up endless stairs to our room..not bad if you are 29 but at twice that age and it is not fun..If I liked it we would have gone back but we haven't. I am loyal to places I like and not to ones I don't.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank richard p
merrillinn, Owner at Merrill Inn, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
The Restaurant at the Merrill Inn is part of the original historic building and as such can not be altered due to the mandate to maintain the integrity of the architecture. As stated before the room is intimate seating only 22 guests at a time, however the vast majority of our guests enjoy the ambiance and warm and cozy feeling not to mention the wonderful food of Chef Michael Sullivan!

The Restaurant is located on the lower level of the inn, 12 steps from the main floor. Without an elevator in the inn (again due to limitations of the historic designation) we do our best to accommodate guests who do not enjoy climbing stairs to enjoy a room on the main floor or second floor of the inn.

We are disappointed that your comments in regards to the physical constraints put a damper on your dining experience.

Regards,
Edward Shubert
Innkeeper
Belleville, Canada
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We have participated in Countylicious events for a number of years and this is the first time we decided to go to the Merrill Inn. The menu looked really good and the facility was very appealing from the exterior. When we got there, it was a challenge to find the dining room as no one was there to greet us. The dining room is tiny, with too many tables squeezed in. My husband could not count the number of times that he was bumped by our waitress. Our waitress was impatient, trying to get our full order as soon as we sat down. The shrimp and grits appetizer was excellent and our wine was excellent. Our main courses were OK but not great. Not only did we feel rushed to order but we felt like we were being kicked out before we had finished our coffee. We will not return.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Jill K
merrillinn, Owner at Merrill Inn, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your dining experience during our very popular Countylicious dining promotion. We are both disappointed and surprised by your review and would like to apologize for not meeting your expectations. I did attempt to contact you directly to speak with you.

Indeed the Restaurant is an intimate small room, however it is not a crowded space as you point out.

As guests on occasion arrive late for their reservations as was the case that evening, it does create challenges for a busy restaurant like ours. Non the less we do take the entire order including dessert when we do Countylicious which does not seem to be an issue for our guests. Our seasoned staff in the Restaurant do not intentionally rush service as we allow over 2 hours for dinner when having two seating's throughout the evening.

Once again please accept our apology

Regards,
Edward Shubert
Innkeeper/Owner
Toronto, Canada
“Lovely Romantic Accommodating Restaurant”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We went here in July 2013 as part of a getaway and special occasion. I planned ahead by contacting the restaurant to see if they could accommodate a special request for my boyfriend. They were terrific and made arrangements for Coquille Ste Jacques and Profiteroles. Quite an unusual request and they were accommodating without hesitation. When we got there, they exceeded our expectations with royal treatment. My boyfriend felt very special and really appreciated the efforts. The manager also came by and made recommendations for wine that was so successful that my boyfriend now has a new favourite wine.. What a lovely place with lovely people!!! Worth visiting!!!!!!!!

• Visited July 2013