“Great little find”

and 1 more site!
The Rose and Crown
Ranked #1 of 3 Thurstonland B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 May 2013

So, this is another big win on our internet hotel booking lottery! Didn't know what to expect, and to be frank I had no idea how to find the place.. but I did.. and I'm glad I did.

This is a good old fashioned English pub with rooms. The atmosphere is great.. think village local. The staff are to the point, but friendly and on the ball. The location is smashing, located in a small 'church and handful of houses' village with great views in all directions.

The food is top quality. We visited on their seafood special night, and I seriously rate the 'whale and chips'. I had trouble finishing it.. still did manage of course.. but aside from quantity it was quality in spades. The beer choice would be enough to keep you going a good few nights.

Room was good. My only concern was a very slight odour of smelly feet.. but since the window was open and there was a farm next door, I will give them the benefit of the doubt :-)

I only have one gripe. The jukebox still belted out music at 11pm when we were trying to sleep. It's a local.. fair enough, but the guests should be able to sleep at a reasonable hour.

Actually I have one more gripe. A couple of residents-only parking spaces would be good, as the restaurant patrons tend to fill up the very limited space, leaving guests to find parking on the surprisingly jammed street.

Definitely go, for the beer, the food, and the location.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank C0ire
There are newer reviews for The Rose and Crown

Reviewed 11 May 2013

We stayed at The Rose and Crown from 8/05/2013. We should have been staying from the day before, but sadly they had had a boiler burst. when we arrived they got us into another B&B for the night and we returned the day after. The staff were so helpful. The room was good and spotlessly clean. We ate there in the evening a couple of times and found the food to be really good. But, what really made our stay so enjoyable was the staff. They did a great job looking after us. Tracey and Sue, thanks so much to you both.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 April 2013

Stopped for just the one night as we needed somewhere local but hopefully may go back as it looks an ideal base to do some walking in the area.
Staff were very friendly and helpful, room was good, nice and clean with nice towels and although sleeping above the pub we weren't disturbed.
Breakfast was nice, good helpings and cooked to order.
The menu is somewhat limited but it is pub grub so good helpings and I couldn't manage a sweet.
I had the steak and ale pie which was topped with suet! (must be a Yorkshire thing as around here most top theirs with puff pastry).
The only thing I could find a little fault with was that the steak in the pie was a bit tough and didn't fall apart.
Apart from that perfect and as the heading says V good value.

Room Tip: A car is essential to get there as it is a fair way from towns etc.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2013

Just spent two nights ( Room 1 ) at this excellent pub, staff extremely friendly, selection of beers very good and the food was excellent, all great value for money, mainly used by locals who are very friendly, morning shift led by Yvonne who does a great breakfast and always seems to have a smile on her face. Richard the owner should be very proud of his pub and extremely proud of his staff.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 March 2013

My partner and I have just had a lovely night at the Rose and Crown. We were made to feel at home as as soon as we got into the pub by Richard and his staff. The ales were excellent, unfortunately I wasn't able to try all that was on offer, maybe next time. The food was very good, but please be aware the portions are huge, especially the burgers (recommended). The locals were very friendly and engaged us in their conversation, we couldn't have wished for a better night. The breakfast was excellent too.
'What more can I say'. You will find it hard to find a better B&B, excellent value!!!
Richard - Well done!!!!!
We will definately be coming back

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PAUL T
Reviewed 15 March 2013

On Sunday 10th March my partner, sister, brother and law and myself travelled down to Huddersfield to play golf. The weather was dreadful -cold wind and snow. I was not really thrilled at the idea of Huddersfield !!
However on arriving at the Rose and Crown we were greeted with such a warm welcome, our cold trip turned in to a very enjoyable time indeed.
The staff were lovely, the food delicious and the beds very very comfortable.
Excellent value for money!!

Room Tip: I think all rooms were the same.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 February 2013

If you like good real ale and tasty, well cooked food, The Rose and Crown would be hard to beat.
Well priced, superb menu, thoughtfully made out with seasonal food.
Nice accommodation, shame that the bar can be heard in the bedrooms, rhubarb rhubarb type of noise. But midweek well worth staying. Ideal location for ramblers and half way house to Scotland, which is why we stayed.

Room Tip: Avoid live band night Saturdays
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thurstonland
Old Bridge Inn
#2 of 3 in Thurstonland
Coddy's Farm
Coddy's Farm
#1 of 12 in Holmfirth

Been to The Rose and Crown? Share your experiences!