“A relaxing stay for my family”

Malahat Bungalows Motel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Malahat
Seoul, South Korea
“A relaxing stay for my family”
Reviewed 2 March 2013

My family and I recently took a trip to Vancouver Island and we are very happy we found this place. We stayed in an independent bungalow with two rooms, which felt like home with plenty of space. I found the place to be very tranquil and relaxing.

Upon arrival, the bungalow was already heated up and there were firewoods for us to use for the fireplace. It was cozy and wonderful altogether. I loved the place during the Winter time, so my family and I will definitely plan to come stay here again in Summer. Highly recommended for family holidays!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jennifer S

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
san juan islands, washington state
Reviewed 12 November 2012

Love Love Love this place. Rustic cabin with old pine walls. Stone fireplace that works. The nice owner came and built a fire for us. There is nothing like a fireplace on a cold, rainy night in Canada. The fireplace is not the only source of heat. The owners were so thoughtful they turned the heat on before we got there. It was toasty warm when we arrived. We stayed in bungalow #7. I would stay there again. Heck, I wish I was there right now! The kitchen is cute and functional. The bathroom is clean with a powerful shower. The bedrooms are big enough and clean. Although the beds are hard. All the windows open in the cabin to let in the Canadian fresh air. Smells like fall with a nice fire going. They are charming old-fashioned windows that are pretty. Just a beautiful cabin. The place is right next to the Trans-Canadian Hwy. We did not hear the noise from our cabin. But please be careful on that road. It is so dangerous. We heard of several fatal accidents when we were there. If driving to Malahat going north do not pull left across the Hwy into the bungalows. You have to cross busy traffic at 60km/hr. Big Danger! Just drive a little more north and turn at the stop light to U-Turn back into the Malahat Bungalows driveway. We will stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank lilyroses
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 2 February 2012

It just feels like home. It is nothing like a high rise fancy 5 star hotel, but I felt so grounded staying there. Very peaceful and clean nice cabin like...especially with a fireplace. I highly recommend every viewer to check the place up. A family owned business treats you like family. They are very nice people who are willing to make you feel at home. The entire complex has been renovated or at least in the process of getting remodeled by the gentleman owner.

For the price, we couldn't complain for the lack of amenity facilities, but I wish they had a pool. The entrance was a bit confusing because there was a campground right next to the motel entrance. Especially, when you make a u turn, you would easily end up entering the camp ground. Overall, it was a nice stay for us.

Room Tip: There are some rooms that more than 6 people stay using their double beds and a sofa bed. There were...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Tony J
Sooke, BC
Reviewed 4 January 2012

I dont think I have ever stayed in such a disgusting place, ever!!
Too start off, my friends and I were staying there and booked 3 rooms. They never bothered to have them close together. When my one friend and I checked in to our rooms, my room smelled of mold and my friends room, when she pulled down the blankets, there were mouse droppings on the pillow. We went and complained and we were then given a 2 bed suite with a fireplace that was supposedly remodeled. It was gross and freezing cold, even though the heater was on full blast. We tried multiple times to get the fireplace going, even going so far as to get the owner to try to start it, but it would not catch and would just fill the room with smoke. We are still washing our belongings to get that stench out!!! Finally gave up and requested a portable heater to heat our ice cold room with. The people are nice, but really need to update the place to at least a minimum standard!! Now, trying to sleep on those horrible beds was a whole other story. I was very quick to get up at 7am and leave so I could sleep in my own bed.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Lisa F
MBungalows, Manager at Malahat Bungalows Motel, responded to this review, 9 February 2012
Hello,

Thank you for your time and effort to write the review.
I am sorry that you couldn't enjoy your time at our motel as other guests have.

The rooms we have at our motel are not the typical side-by-side suites, but they are individual cabins in limited numbers; if we have other cabins occupied by other guests, we unfortunately cannot have 3 rooms door to door. We apologize we couldn't meet your level of expectations in terms of convenience, as December is usually quite busy for us.

We try our best to keep our cabins in their best shape and cleanliness.
I hope you understand that the cabins were not ready to have you stay, as you had switched cabins. We apologize we couldn't keep you warm as soon as possible, but as you said the portable heater helped so we are glad to know.

Thank you again for your time and effort to write the review, we appreciate your business.

Travellers are raving about these Malahat hotels

Parksville, Canada
Reviewed 17 June 2011

To be fair this property has had a great deal of work put into it, the cottages are good, but the highway is so noisy, ok for overnight stay, expected forest setting and quiet, not so good for long stay. Nice family run business.

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank pip015
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 26 March 2011

This place looks cozy in a strange Lord of the Rings Hobbit sort of way. Huge trees with lots of room for young children to run and play. Picnic tables for outdoor dinners and a nice hot tub to soak in after a day at the beach. We rented two of the large cottages for 8 adults and 5 kids aged 2-6 years old. It fit everyone comfortably. The interior of the cottages was rustic. The kitchen appliances and bathrooms were old but fine for our family on a budget. However, the condition of the beds were completely unexceptable! One of the hide-a-beds smelled moldy and was unusable. Another matress, in the "master" bedroom was easily 2 decades old. It creaked and we could feel the springs as we slept. The owner operators were not very warm either. He sent his teenage daughter to tell us that we should not use a particular picnic table. And he was hesitant to get the hot tub working for us when we arrived. This place needs an update!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank ChickenWingkle
MBungalows, Owner at Malahat Bungalows Motel, responded to this review, 4 June 2011
Hello,

We are very sorry that your experience here did not exceed your expectations.
We see that you stayed with us in the summer of last year; since then, we have renovated the bungalows on the exterior as well as the interior, including the mattresses and the pillows you have mentioned. Also, there have been changes in the management as well.

We strive to meet our guests' expectations.
Thank you for your time to write the review and we hope to have you back.
Guadalajara, Mexico
Reviewed 11 October 2010

BEWARE! The location shown on Google Maps is wrong! It appears to be 2 blocks away from Victoria's Inner Harbour. Instead, it's 25km away! Unfortunately that's all I can say about this place, since we cancelled our reservation on the phone, standing outside of the wrong address.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Fierrox
Hello,

We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.
We noticed that the address was registered as Victoria by the previous owner and we contacted Google as well as various travel websites to modify the information.

Thank you for your review and we hope to have you visit us in the future.

Regards,

Malahat Bungalows Motel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malahat
Quality Inn Waddling Dog
#1 of 2 in Malahat
Cherry Tree Inn
Cherry Tree Inn
#2 of 2 in Saanich

Been to Malahat Bungalows Motel? Share your experiences!