“Resort Unforgettable but......”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Quathiaski Cove
Sherwood Park, Canada
“Resort Unforgettable but......”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

My fiancée and I checked in June 29 and checked out July 2.

Firstly, the resort is located on Quadra Island just a short ferry ride from Campbell River. We met friends so there was 8 of us. Check in went very smoothly and the staff was exceptionally helpful and very welcoming. Our rooms were very clean and the view from our deck was spectacular!

The first evening all 8 of us met in the dining room for dinner. How disappointing! many different dishes ordered with appetizers. Everyone agreed the food on top of being a little pricey was totally bland and very forgettable. Not one person has happy with their meal. Be sure to avoid the dining room for dinner! We found a fabulous restaurant just a 10 minute drive away. At Herriot Bay there is a very quaint pub and dining room. All eight of us ordered different meals and appetizers and were so please to find the food bursting with flavor! Price comparable (maybe a little less) to April Springs but taste was out of this world. Breakfasts and lunches at April Springs were just ok.

Our bed was not so comfortable, old, lumpy and squeaky. Time for a new one!

The resort staff to a person was amazing, Always with a smile and would go out of their way to help.

This resort is a gem! Would have rates a 5 id the dining room was better.

Would definitely return but have dinner at Herriot Bay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank HappyGuy60
ChristineFleming, General Manager at April Point Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
I’m so glad you enjoyed your stay at April Point Resort & Spa. It sounds like the service, the room and the view was all to your liking, which is excellent. I hope you also got a chance to try the many activities we have to offer as well, including fishing, wildlife tours and kayak rentals.

I do apologize for your experience in the dining room. We strive for very a very high quality of food, both in presentation and taste, and I’m disappointed to hear those standards weren’t met. I will be speaking with my chef and sampling the food myself to ensure our dishes maintain the high standards I set for them.

Thank you for your feedback and I look forward to your next visit.

Christine Fleming

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Our group of eight people spent an amazing four days at April Point. The location and resort were spectacular. We stayed in an ocean front suite that was exceptionally clean and spacious and provided us with a beautiful large deck overlooking the ocean. Everyone in our group was extremely pleased with the resort and especially appreciated the friendly, very helpful staff that worked on the docks, cleaning, packing and freezing all the salmon we caught!
The resort has a beautiful outside patio overlooking the ocean and we really enjoyed sitting there sipping on a drink while we watched the seals and otters just below us. There is a spa housed in a separate building jutting out over the ocean that offers a large selection of services. We tried to reserve some, but they were all booked up. So I suggest that you book these early!
The dining area and bar is large, and breakfast and lunch were enjoyable. Our first (and last) dinner at the restaurant was a little disappointing. Everyone in our group felt that the small menu was rather boring and the food was "just ok" for the price that was charged. The great service and amazing views made up for this, but we went elsewhere for dinners.
We did have one bad experience, and that came from one of the spa staff. We were having a break from fishing, and sitting out on our deck laughing and talking. The spa was located close to our unit, and a staff member approached our group and told us we were being too noisy. We were all quite shocked, as we had no music on, no one was intoxicated or vulgar... we were just enjoying the afternoon, talking and laughing. Being all adults, we were all a bit embarrassed to receive this scolding, and this did ruin the rest of the afternoon.
I would highly recommend this resort, just make sure you book your room away from the spa if you plan on spending time with friends on your deck.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Tracy D
I’m so happy you enjoyed your vacation at April Point Resort & Spa. We are so fortunate to have our resort located in such a beautiful area. I’m thrilled you enjoyed all of the beautiful scenery and wildlife our location has to offer. And thank you so much for all of the compliments regarding our service. We work extremely hard to deliver an amazing experience to all of our guests, so I’m excited to hear that all of our hard work is paying off.

I am sorry for the experience you had with one of our spa staff. I will be speaking with my spa staff to see if I can find out what the problem was.

Thank you for your review and I hope you come back to visit us again soon!

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 22 June 2014

April Point Lodge on Quadra Island is just a short 10-minute BC Ferry or free water taxi shuttle ride from the bustling town of Campbell River. Once there, you immediately feel your stress levels diminish as the helpful staff checks you into one of the waterside cabins. From chairs on your deck or one of the Adirondack chairs set close to the water's edge, you can sip a cold drink while watching the marine traffic and Alaska cruise ships in Discovery Passage…peace and tranquility.

If you feel like it, rent a mountain bike or scooter and explore the many artist's studios, craft shops, museums, and even wineries on Quadra. You have to take in the spectacular views of the mainland while taking a stroll on Rebecca Spit, and end your day with a massage in the resort's spa.

The fishing is good too…with experienced guides shared with Painter's Lodge, you can be fishing in minutes, with a very good chance of landing a salmon, even the occasional halibut, during a four-hour session.

And the resort restaurant is top-notch. Start off with an order of sushi, and continue with seafood…all beautifully plated and perfectly cooked!

April Point Lodge is a great drive-in destination to enjoy an idyllic getaway!

Room Tip: Try to get the "honeymoon" cabin #23. It's located at the very south end of the proper...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
ChristineFleming, General Manager at April Point Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you so much for your review of April Point Resort & Spa. The crew and I have been working extremely hard to maintain our status as one of the premier vacation getaways in British Columbia, so I’m thrilled to hear your stay lived up to those standards. You've perfectly summed up all the reasons why we love this resort. The magnificent views, the fishing and wildlife tours, combined with the ability for guests to also enjoy the amenities and dining at our sister resort, Painter’s Lodge, makes April Point a truly unique vacation experience. Thank you again for your kind words and I eagerly await your next visit.

Delta BC
Reviewed 17 June 2014

April Point sits on a promontory very close to the ferry from Campbell River. It is an ideal spot from which to explore Quadra Island. Rooms are well appointed and all have a view over the water. There is a full service restaurant and bar as well as many activities. They have ample parking onsite.
Staff are very friendly and helpful. Service in the restaurant is slow, but most of the restaurant staff are eager to please. The overall quality of the food is good - once it arrives.
It is well worth exploring the gardens and enjoying the views from the dock or grassy areas where there are plenty of chairs and picnic tables.
The rest of the island is beautiful and uncrowded with a number of good beaches and parks.
It is definitely worth having a car on the island.
There are a few restaurants and pubs elsewhere on the island - best to drive to them. Best deal for lunch and dinner is to eat in one or other of the pubs.

Room Tip: Rooms looking over to Campbell River have the best views, but also overlooking the harbour is intere...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
ChristineFleming, General Manager at April Point Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
I’m happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at April Point. We are truly fortunate to be located in such a beautiful area. Quadra Island is a unique and wonderful place, and I’m so glad you got to experience it. I’m so sorry you found the service in the dining room to be slow. I appreciate your feedback back and will make it a point to ensure the problem is rectified. Also, if it’s pub food you’re looking for I’d recommend trying the Tyee Pub at our sister resort, Painter’s Lodge. It’s just a free water taxi ride away and offers a wide variety pub favourites with a wonderful view of Discovery Passage. Thanks for your comments and I look forward to your next visit.
Canada
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed here beginning of June with my family for 2 nights. We got a very deal from Travelzoo which includes breakfast and a kayak or bike rental for 2 hours. The resort is beautiful and very peaceful. What a great place to getaway. The dining room staff we're so nice and accommodating to my 2 kids. From the breakfast staff to dining staff, they made sure we are looked after.The dining room manager even came up and started conversation with my son while waiting for our dinner. Also the guys that runs the kayak rental was so good to us too. We we're able to rent 2 double kayak so the four of us could go all together. It also nice to have that option to go to their sister resort where they have outdoor pool. The kids interactive area though was for older children, not for my 6 and 3 y/o kids. Our room have 1 queen bed and pull out couch.The only thing that i would have like to is to have is an option to have a microwave in the room if you need one. Overall, we are happy and will stay again in the future specially if we found another deal from Travelzoo.
PS... I felt a bit harassed my the oak bay marine group for sending me a bill twice within a week in mail weeks before our schedule to go there. This is the 1st time i encountered something like this of all the places we stayed.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
I’m so glad you enjoyed your stay at April Point. We understand that it can be difficult to organize a family vacation, so we always strive to deliver fun, relaxing and memorable holidays for our guests. I’m thrilled to hear we delivered on our goal and hope you’ll come back to visit us again sometime soon.
Reviewed 13 June 2014

It is definitely worth having a car on the island.

Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We stayed here before and in error Tripadvisor rated it one star...where we thought it was a 5.
Must have been a typo on the website. The resort is beautiful and the island of Quadra is fun to motor around.
The suites are spacious and our deck in front looked over the water. Good fishing here and many water sports are available.
You can arrange to ride on a seaplane with the mail delivery pilot and that is very cool.
The perspective from the air is terrific.
Across the water is the well known Campbell River Lodge, where fishermen have traveled to for a 100 years.

Room Tip: We liked ground floor with a deck overlooking the water
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
I’m thrilled to hear you had such a lovely vacation at April Point. Yes, the float plane tours certainly offer some breathtaking views. We were happy to arrange that for you. It sounds like you got to experience everything the resort and Quadra Island has to offer, which is wonderful. Please come back and visit us again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Quathiaski Cove
#2 of 2 in Quathiaski Cove
Tsa-Kwa-Luten Lodge
Tsa-Kwa-Luten Lodge
#2 of 9 in Quadra Island

Been to April Point Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!