“I honestly didn't want to leave”

April Point Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Quathiaski Cove
“I honestly didn't want to leave”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We stayed at Painter's Lodge a few days and took the water taxi over to April Point on a whim to rent scooters and decided we needed to stay longer. We were lucky enough to get room 123 with a river view. The room was very clean and spacious, and the staff was helpful in all regards. We rented kayaks twice and truly enjoyed ourselves. We also went on the whale watching trip offered thru the resort and Braden was an amazing tour guide. We had a car with us so we went to "town" for breakfast and shopped for lunch at the Tru Value. Dinners were in the restaurant, where we were quite taken care of by Bill and Jenny and Kris. There are some fun hiking trails, and the farmer's market in town on Sundays is quaint. We had a marvelous time reading in the chairs spread out around the resort, and found that we actually got better wi-fi reception down on the docks. It's easy to lose track of time on Quadra Island so plan on enjoying yourself on "island time."

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Coast Hotels

ChristineFleming, General Manager at April Point Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
I’m so happy you enjoyed your time at April Point Resort & Spa. I agree, it’s definitely hard to leave this place! Between the beautiful views, the wildlife, the activities and the relaxed atmosphere, April Point really does make for the perfect getaway location. I’m glad to hear you got to experience one of our whale watching tours. With the resident orcas in the area now it’s the perfect time to see these amazing creatures up close. I’m also pleased you enjoyed your meals in our dining room. The staff and I continue to work hard to deliver guests an amazing dining experience, so I’m glad everything was to your liking. I look forward to your next visit.

Christine Fleming

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We needed a quick Getaway to rejuvenate. April point was just the solution
From the arrival at Painters Lodge to the refreshments there in the lounge, the Taxi ride across
to our chosen destination everything met and exceeded expectations.
We were fortunate to be able to book the Honeymoon Cabin #23. It was just perfect. I highly recommend it to anyone. Perched out on the Point of the Passage the Wildlife was amazing, eagles soaring, Seals frolicking in the bay
The amenities in the complex were fantastic. Contrary to other experiences in the Dining Room our meal met and exceeded expectations, fairly priced and was delicious. I highly recommend the Short Rib as was recommended by our server and he delivered. Our service was outstanding in all aspects of our visit. There were 2 Cruise Ships passing in an stone throw of the resort. We will be returning well before the end of the summer to enjoy the beauty of this West Coast Resort

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sharon T
I’m thrilled to hear you enjoyed your visit to April Point Resort & Spa. Although I love all of our rooms, Cabin 23 is definitely special and the perfect location for a romantic getaway. It sounds like you experienced a little bit of everything, including wildlife, fabulous ocean views and even a couple of cruise ships. I’m also glad you enjoyed your meal in our dining room. I second your recommendation of the Short Rib. It’s delicious! Thank you so much for your review and I look forward to seeing you later this summer!

delta bc
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed at April Point two nights and three days for a wedding that took place at the Resort. A beautiful location and staff were very attentive. We appreciate the services we received throughout the resort. The food however was poor - we had the breakfast buffet both mornings - the food was dry, and they served croissants that looked like they were taken out of the freezer and thawed out and served cold - very disappointing meal for $16 per person. At a resort like this, the food should be at least "good" if not "excellent" for the prices.

1 Thank poopsie57
ChristineFleming, General Manager at April Point Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
I’m happy to hear you enjoyed your visit to April Point Resort & Spa. Yes, the location of the resort is truly amazing. It’s what I look forward to most about coming to work! I am sorry to hear about your experience in our restaurant. We strive for a very high quality of food and I’m disappointed to hear that standard was not met. I have spoken to my chef about this and am confident these issues have been resolved. Appreciate your feedback and hope you’ll consider us for your next holiday.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Spent two nights here and were impressed by staff at Painters Lodge where we parked our car. Also staff on the docks, the boat ride over to April Point and the front desk there were all excellent. This was a special offer for two nights which included breakfast and a kayak rental. My wife and I loved the location. Thoroughly enjoyed our two hour kayak trip as well. However the restaurant was another story all together. Poorly trained staff resulted in incredibly long waits. One day our breakfast took over an hour to arrive from ordering. Lunch was a disaster with the wrong meal being served and resulted in another one hour wait for the correct meal. Front end staff kindly credited us the lunch bill back when we checked out. Once home I wrote to the operations manager and never did receive a reply. I would like to go back again but will wait until I hear that the dining room has been sorted out. Our last night there we took the shuttle boat over Campbell River and enjoyed a fabulous meal at a Thai restaurant. See my review of Imagine Thai.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
ChristineFleming, General Manager at April Point Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our resort. I’m glad to hear you had a good experience at Painter’s Lodge, and that your kayak trip was so enjoyable. We are truly located in a uniquely beautiful area, and I’m happy you got to experience our little slice of paradise.

That being said, I’m greatly disappointed to hear about your experience in our Dining Room. The service you received is unacceptable. I have spoken to my restaurant staff to ensure they are aware of the level of service I expect from them, and will be keeping a close eye on our Dining Room to make sure these standards are being met.

I greatly appreciate your feedback and I’m glad you would like to return for another visit. I look forward to seeing you at the resort again.

Chilliwack, Canada
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We were a family of five adults spending 2 nights for a wedding on location. There was no spa tub or fitness centre as advertised. It's a shuttle ride away at Painters Lodge. This was discovered at check in. It was impossible to take advantage of these amenities since all trips across entailed a 3 shuttle wait both ways, on average, all weekend. Staff was aware that 5 people would be in our bungalow but only 4 sets of towels. Had to request more. Not even a fresh roll of toilet paper but the worse part was there wasn't even a back up roll. Had to ask for that also. Front desk wanted to deliver that later ! Sorry couldn't wait for that ! Many details like only a buffet breakfast available but the lunch menu includes a menu for breakfast. Not available for order of course. I had even called prior to arrival to confirm that there was a breakfast menu available because I couldn't find a menu on line. I was advised by Lori that there was and the menu was just like Painters Lodge. Were advised by staff to take the shuttle to Painters Lodge if we needed to order off the menu for breakfast!!
Overall experience was not good value for the money spent. Would have been better off staying at Painters Lodge but that would have meant being late for the wedding like some guests were because the shuttle didn't plan for the arrival of wedding guests and people had to wait numerous shuttles to arrive and depart.
Also there is no air conditioning anywhere including rooms and restaurant.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the boat dock are cooler for sleeping the the summer. There is no air conditioning.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank S R
I’m so sorry about your stay at April Point Resort & Spa. I would like to apologize about your breakfast. There was obviously some miscommunication with your sales agent. At this time we only offer a breakfast buffet. We’ve found this to be the most efficient way to serve our guests breakfast, and the response has been positive. However, we do understand that some people prefer a plated meal, which is why we offer this option at Painter’s Lodge.

I would also like to apologize for any waits associated with our water taxi service to Painter’s Lodge. This is a free service that we offer at our own expense. When we have more than one certified driver available we run multiple boats, but this isn’t always possible. In these situations we ask for your patience as we get our guests across the water as quickly as we can.

Sherwood Park, Canada
Reviewed 5 July 2014

My fiancée and I checked in June 29 and checked out July 2.

Firstly, the resort is located on Quadra Island just a short ferry ride from Campbell River. We met friends so there was 8 of us. Check in went very smoothly and the staff was exceptionally helpful and very welcoming. Our rooms were very clean and the view from our deck was spectacular!

The first evening all 8 of us met in the dining room for dinner. How disappointing! many different dishes ordered with appetizers. Everyone agreed the food on top of being a little pricey was totally bland and very forgettable. Not one person has happy with their meal. Be sure to avoid the dining room for dinner! We found a fabulous restaurant just a 10 minute drive away. At Herriot Bay there is a very quaint pub and dining room. All eight of us ordered different meals and appetizers and were so please to find the food bursting with flavor! Price comparable (maybe a little less) to April Springs but taste was out of this world. Breakfasts and lunches at April Springs were just ok.

Our bed was not so comfortable, old, lumpy and squeaky. Time for a new one!

The resort staff to a person was amazing, Always with a smile and would go out of their way to help.

This resort is a gem! Would have rates a 5 id the dining room was better.

Would definitely return but have dinner at Herriot Bay.

1 Thank HappyGuy60
ChristineFleming, General Manager at April Point Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
I’m so glad you enjoyed your stay at April Point Resort & Spa. It sounds like the service, the room and the view was all to your liking, which is excellent. I hope you also got a chance to try the many activities we have to offer as well, including fishing, wildlife tours and kayak rentals.

I do apologize for your experience in the dining room. We strive for very a very high quality of food, both in presentation and taste, and I’m disappointed to hear those standards weren’t met. I will be speaking with my chef and sampling the food myself to ensure our dishes maintain the high standards I set for them.

Thank you for your feedback and I look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Our group of eight people spent an amazing four days at April Point. The location and resort were spectacular. We stayed in an ocean front suite that was exceptionally clean and spacious and provided us with a beautiful large deck overlooking the ocean. Everyone in our group was extremely pleased with the resort and especially appreciated the friendly, very helpful staff that worked on the docks, cleaning, packing and freezing all the salmon we caught!
The resort has a beautiful outside patio overlooking the ocean and we really enjoyed sitting there sipping on a drink while we watched the seals and otters just below us. There is a spa housed in a separate building jutting out over the ocean that offers a large selection of services. We tried to reserve some, but they were all booked up. So I suggest that you book these early!
The dining area and bar is large, and breakfast and lunch were enjoyable. Our first (and last) dinner at the restaurant was a little disappointing. Everyone in our group felt that the small menu was rather boring and the food was "just ok" for the price that was charged. The great service and amazing views made up for this, but we went elsewhere for dinners.
We did have one bad experience, and that came from one of the spa staff. We were having a break from fishing, and sitting out on our deck laughing and talking. The spa was located close to our unit, and a staff member approached our group and told us we were being too noisy. We were all quite shocked, as we had no music on, no one was intoxicated or vulgar... we were just enjoying the afternoon, talking and laughing. Being all adults, we were all a bit embarrassed to receive this scolding, and this did ruin the rest of the afternoon.
I would highly recommend this resort, just make sure you book your room away from the spa if you plan on spending time with friends on your deck.

4 Thank Tracy D
I’m so happy you enjoyed your vacation at April Point Resort & Spa. We are so fortunate to have our resort located in such a beautiful area. I’m thrilled you enjoyed all of the beautiful scenery and wildlife our location has to offer. And thank you so much for all of the compliments regarding our service. We work extremely hard to deliver an amazing experience to all of our guests, so I’m excited to hear that all of our hard work is paying off.

I am sorry for the experience you had with one of our spa staff. I will be speaking with my spa staff to see if I can find out what the problem was.

Thank you for your review and I hope you come back to visit us again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Quathiaski Cove
#1 of 9 in Quadra Island
Sonora Resort
Sonora Resort
#1 of 1 in Sonora Island

Been to April Point Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!