“High Quality Resort”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pender Island
Toronto
“High Quality Resort”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Stayed in a two-bedroom cottage with my daughter for a couple of nights. We were very impressed with the quality of the accomodation and fittings. The cottage was about 840 sq. ft. in area plus a spacious deck with a wonderful view and even a barbecue. Inside we had everything we could possibly need from a washer/dryer, a kitchen that was equipped well enough to cook for a family, to books, televisions and audio equipment.

The restaurant had a limited menu but the food was good and we were able to eat outside every evening while watching the sunset. The staff were charming, helpful and a delight to talk to and this was true of everybody including the room staff, the shop keepers and the gardeners.

In spite of it being high season, the entire resort was blessedly peaceful at night and the grounds are well designed to keep noisy activities, such as the childrens' pool, away from the guest rooms.

Our criticisms that make Poets Cove a "Very Good" instead of "Excellent" are really quite trivial.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
PoetsCove, General Manager at Poets Cove Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Thank you. I appreciate your well-measured comments very much.
Kind Regards,
Walter Kohli, GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Fantastic location on the beautiful Pender Island. Watching the sun set from the room balcony is just beautiful. The building was in good condition, the room spacious, staff are helpful - the downside is the music played all day (from 7a.m.-10p.m. I think) in the public areas including the corridors outside the rooms - gets a bit grinding. Other than that, the restaurant food was really tasty if a little pricey, breakfasts were great (not included in the room rate) and cooked to order in the week - buffet at the weekend.

Room Tip: All the rooms have a view over the bay
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed 18 July 2013

We caught the 2:00 Ferry to Pender Island and arrived around 4:00 and drove about 15 minutes to Poet's Cove. I used to come years ago when we owned a boat so it was interesting seeing Pender Island from the road.

From the minute we checked in we were greeted by friendly helpful staff. We were in Room 308 in the main building and had the most wonderful view of the harbour and all the going's on. Very pleased with the room and all the amenities, in fact we were reluctant to leave our room, it was so quiet and peaceful. Something we both crave coming from very busy jobs always surrounded by people.

We ventured out to talk to the Concierge (Quinn I believe) about kayaking. Neither of us were experienced in any way shape or form with kayaking and he quickly reassured us that the harbour would be a great place to have a guide and learn a bit of the basics. We booked for the next day and returned to our room to enjoy some appetizers we had brought with us and looked forward to watching the boats and people in the resort. We were lucky enough to have a wedding going on that added to the people watching. Wonderful sleep that night on a beautiful bed, we had the sounds of the waterfall outside our window -- certainly not loud, and I love the sound of water nearby.

Next morning we had brunch on the balcony of the restaurant. The staff was just wonderful, very friendly and prompt with their service. The food was excellent, such a treat to go to an omelette station and order your personal omelette and then have the server bring it to you piping hot. Our kayak guide was booked for 10:30 and we met in the lobby, the Concierge was kind enough to come down to the water with us and using our camera took some excellent pictures of us on our rookie voyage. I will say there is something serene about paddling around this beautiful harbour. We were only out about 90 minutes ( I have a serious shoulder injury that prevented us from being out longer) and enjoyed every single second, we booked the sit on kayaks and while not comfortable on the back they are extremely stable and perfect for first timers.

Back to our wondeful room to enjoy the rest of our day.

Next day we got up and had breakfast again on the deck of the restaurant. We were booked on the 4:15 ferry out of Pender back to Vancouver. This was the only mistake we made on the trip. I thought we could poke around Pender Island for a few hours before getting on to the ferry. Turns out doesn't take more than two hours to really see the island - not interested in hiking so some of the view points were not easy to access. We were given the opportunity to stay around the resort and use the amenities - -we should have done that rather than leave that beautiful place so early. Live and learn.

I am not sure why anyone would have a negative review of Poet's Cove but as the old adage goes you can't please everyone and I have learned in life you get what you receive and we received top notch stellar treatment from every staff member. We do hope to return and will highly recommend Poet's Cove to anyone looking for a get away.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JoanneandGeoff
PoetsCove, General Manager at Poets Cove Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
I’ve read your wonderful comments first thing at 7.00 AM this Saturday morning. For some mysterious reason my coffee tastes now more fragrant and the yachts in Bedwell Harbour look even more serene. I will share your truly inspirational posting with our team as we’re heading in to a very busy weekend. Thank you from all of us at Poets Cove!
Port Coquitlam
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Although a bit of an adventure to get to Pender Island via BC Ferries, which included 2 stops over, once arrived, we were absolutely thrilled with the premises. Our greeting was great, and we had several in our party as we attended a wedding at the resort. Unfortunately, our room wasn't ready, and after travelling the distance from the mainland,,, with the two stops, we were a bit disappointed we couldn't get in right away. Promptly at 4 though we were called and moved in to our 2 bedroom cottage. The place was very well decked out,, lots of utensils, cupboard space, and nice bedrooms,, comfy beds as well. Topping it off, our own personal hot tub.. Unfortunately we sacrificed a view for the tub. The location is excellent, the bar was great with super nibblies. It's pricey, but it's well laid out. We'll go back.

Room Tip: I'd make sure to go for the view rooms. The harbour is beautiful, and sunsets superb. Nothing...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
PoetsCove, General Manager at Poets Cove Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
I’m very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us on Pender Island; and yes, the hot tubs are great after a day of traveling! Although four o’clock is our regular check-in time, during the shoulder season we usually manage to assign rooms by noon or one o’clock. I hope we can do so during your next visit.
Walter Kohli GM
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 13 July 2013

I have been to Poet's Cove on at least 6 occasions within the past 4 years. We usually anchor or dock at the marina and stay in a suite or cabin. While I love the location and I think the resort is well designed, the service is lacking.
On our most recent stay, we were in a 2 bed villa. We had booked a cabin but apparently they didn't have the booking in the system?? and although we were told 3 cabins were empty, the cleaners had apparently all left for the day. I am not sure why they even told us cabins were free if they were in fact dirty! Also, we were told how lucky we were because the previous night the resort was booked solid. This was not tactful and came across as rude. We had received a confirmation for booking online, so the fault was not of ours. We also were not told until AFTER she mentioned the cabins were booked, that a villa was even available. It was a poor check in experience. Why not say "we are very sorry the cabins are booked, however we have a beautiful villa available!"?
It was on the same weekend as the power outage described in another review. Possibly because we are young, no one offered us help with our bags which we struggled with up a steep slope. Additionally, no one provided us with info on the hotel (maybe they knew we were returning guests?). I stay at hotels frequently and am a bit surprised by this. Just not the level of service typically given at a 5 star.
A sewage type smell was quite prevalent outdoors during our stay. This same smell was present two years ago when we came for a relative's birthday. I don't attribute it to the power outage because this is not the first time I have smelled it, and also because it was on Saturday and the power went out Sunday. It smells similar to the dockside green condos in Victoria prior to when they were forced to fix their system.
I do love the location and I think it's a very unique spot, but we were never greeted by staff. The staff are mostly young and almost appear to be at a summer camp, socializing etc. I normally wouldn't care, but when you pay so much to stay somewhere you expect better service.
I also noticed the murkiness of the pool, which was quite gross. I haven't noticed this on previous occasions. The murkiness was present on Saturday and the power outage was Sunday. I heard other boaters complaining about the pool too.
It is a nice place, but I hope they can improve on customer service. Next time we will try Otter Bay!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Einsteincat
PoetsCove, General Manager at Poets Cove Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 13 July 2013
Your valued feedback is our red flag. We are launching an immediate guest service re-training session. Thank you! Walter Kohli, GM
Reviewed 5 July 2013

My wife and I came to Pender for part of our honeymoon. We were given a gift card to enjoy some time at Poets Cove. I checked out some of the reviews and was disheartened by so.e of the negative reviews that had been posted within a couple of days prior. Well, I don't know if these people were on crack or on a parallel universe, because our experience was FABULOUS. The grounds were gorgeous, we were greeted warmly by reception staff, the Susurrus Spa was beautiful and very clean, our massages were excellent, in fact, mine was with Beth and it was the best I've had, and I've been a therapist for over twenty five years! My wife's therapist, Shelly, was wonderful as well. After enjoying the spa amenities, we had a wonderful lunch at Syrens Pub on the patio and had a lovely lunch and our server, Justin was very friendly and helpful with tourist suggestions. Our experience was all we had hoped for and more. We would definitely recommend Poets Cove to anyone!

• Stayed July 2013
PoetsCove, General Manager at Poets Cove Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 7 July 2013
Your wonderful review reminds me what real summer holidays are all about. We are so fortunate to live on this beautiful island and share it with so many dynamic and positive visitors. We strive to meet everyone’s expectations; and I’m so happy that we’ve met yours! I will share your review with Poets Cove’s employees and personally deliver your compliments to Beth, Shelley and Justin. Thank you! Walter Kohli, GM
Reviewed 3 July 2013

This is an absolutely breath taking resort in its beauty and tranquility. Although I was not impressed with the attitude of the staff member at check-in, I found the rest of the staff only too willing to assist me. In general my stay was wonderful, and I would return again. My only real concern is the unavailability of room service for meals - including wine and cocktails.

Room Tip: I stayed in a King Room on the second floor near the centre of the hotel. From my patio, which is a...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
PoetsCove, General Manager at Poets Cove Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 12 July 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments. Unfortunately, we do not have sufficient demand for room service as all villas and cottages are outfitted with full kitchen, whereas the remaining lodge rooms do not provide the ‘economics’ to staff for room service. We will evaluate your observations at check-in and appreciate your balanced and positive views of our resort. Thank you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pender Island
Oak Bay Beach Hotel
Oak Bay Beach Hotel
#3 of 49 in Victoria
Friday Harbor Suites
Friday Harbor Suites
#9 of 10 in Friday Harbor
Hastings House Country House Hotel
Hastings House Country House Hot...
#1 of 3 in Salt Spring Island
Outlook Inn on Orcas Island
Mayne Island Resort
Mayne Island Resort
#1 of 2 in Mayne Island
Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa
Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa
#1 of 4 in Central Saanich

Been to Poets Cove Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!