“Fabulous accomidation with a price!”
Review of Heriot Bay Inn

Heriot Bay Inn
Reviewed 11 July 2014

The location, service, and food simply can't be beat. The staff members - Misty and Brian - went out of their way to make our stay great. The food in the restaurant is incredible with many vegetarian friendly options! The cabins were slightly dated, but were very comfortable and well equipped. The free WiFi seems to only work in the main building though. Location is right near the ferry to Cortés Island. The pub can get pretty noisy though! Overall, our stay was very enjoyable and we wish to return. However the cabin prices are very high and for that reason we might not stay again in the cabins, opting to tent in their campground instead!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Alena B
There are newer reviews for Heriot Bay Inn

Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

An experience best described as mediocre. We stayed one night. Our room was tiny, had no television or phone. Not the end of the world, but odd. The bathtub had no drain plug. Somebody else's hair was stuck to the tile tub surround. The room had obviously not been used in quite a while, there were dead insects on the floor and under the pillow on the bed.

We ate a late lunch. I thought the prices high, but in the spirit of "Oh well we are on holiday" I took no notice.

My meal main course in the restaurant was hideous. The meat in my burger smelled "off". Pungent would best describe it. Foul would also be a good word. The fries here are very thin and coated with black pepper. Very odd and unexpected as its not described as "pepper coated fries" on the menu. My wife's meal was acceptable. My soup wasn't bad actually. To their credit they did not charge for my burger after I sent it back.

So here I sit at 5 am, writing a review of a place I thought would have been restful and enjoyable. .. But which was not. Pity. I really wanted to like this old hotel.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 May 2014

What a beautiful location for a hotel. A lovely sheltered bay with a marina, and very terminal. We stopped for a take way coffee and although the service was friendly and quick, the coffee was cold......

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank margeo1234
Reviewed 10 October 2013

This was another great find for a hotel, I really enjoyed my stay here. The scenery here is incredible & the staff were very helpful & friendly. The rooms are clean but fairly old, the water pressure is a bit suspect at times, and there was just one small low level radiator in the room. I would imagine that the rooms could get quite cold in the winter, but I had no need to put the heating on in Sept/Oct.

This is not a luxury Vegas hotel, it is clean & simple, good value & set in stunning surroundings, if these are your prerequisites, you will not be disappointed.

The hotel is a very old building with a bar and restaurant attached, the food served is quite varied and tasty.

The hotel is quite far from the ferry terminal, about 12mins by taxi. There is a local supermarket about 5mins walk from the hotel & there is a cafe in there too.

Room Tip: I had a room upstairs with a door to the shared balcony which was lovely & had a great view, def...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank j100_99
Reviewed 26 September 2013

What a picturesque place and the service can't be beat. Stayed there September 17th and 23rd. The front desk staff, Misty and Juanita, were amazing. Bartenders in the pub friendly and the baked oysters are fabulous!

Room Tip: Ask the front desk when booking when open mike night and karaoke night are and request not above the...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

Our room was tiny, very dated ( not historic just grotty) and noisy! The bar offered poor service and staff were rude. I would not stay here again and was highly disappointed that a beautiful location and building dud not live up to expectations.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Jenna L
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Positives:
- On the waterfront at the harbour
- Restaurant and bar in the same building

Negatives:
- Price (for what you get)
- Tiny rooms
- Uncomfortable beds
- No sound deadening between rooms
- Useless showers

Seriously, this is the worst place I have ever stayed at. We paid $140 for a room with a single double bed. The karaoke kept us up till 1 AM (which we were warned about), then the drunk people going to bed kept us up (no sound deadening), then the creaking from the room above kept us awake and then the terrible beds kept us from sleeping well.

I understand the hotel is historic, but that is no excuse for the crappy beds. Also, what is not acceptable is to not tell us that they have plumbing issues and taking a shower is practically impossible. The shower alternates between burning hot and freezing cold, with no changes to the knobs.

The bar is a dive, but is reasonably priced. The dining room is overpriced for what they offer, but it is decent food.

There are so many better places (resorts and BBs) to stay at on Quadra, just avoid this place...

Room Tip: Don't stay above the bar (loud). Don't stay near the sundeck (cigarette smoke).
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
#2 of 16 in Campbell River
Gowlland Harbour Resort
Gowlland Harbour Resort
#4 of 9 in Quadra Island

Been to Heriot Bay Inn? Share your experiences!