“Amazing view and intimate room”

Mayne Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mayne Island
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We bought a living social deal for a 2 night stay in the main hotel (room 206). The room is very intimate just as the website states but was fine as it was my husband and my first vacation alone since our son was born 2.5 years ago. The rooms are not sound proof, sorry room 205 & 207. There was a dog in the next room and all night it sounded like tiny creatures were running across my floor but it was the dog next door. The mattress is a little too hard and the pillows too soft but bedding was very comfy. We brought our cooler as there isnt a fridge in the room but a small one in the hall and a microwave to share between the 8 rooms. We had our first dinner in the Bennet Bay Bistro, food was great and decent price with quick service. The liquor store that is attached has decent prices as well. There wasn't any toast either morning (or a toaster thast we could see). Coffee in the morning was perfect (but could be served a little earlier). I enjoyed each morning with a coffee in hand and a nice walk on the dock with my husband. The beach is right there and we ventured out to the tip of the peninsula a few times, we saw harbour seals, tons of birds and boats (so relaxing). Oh and a few skinny dippers.
I AM CURRENTLY GOING THROUGH MAYNE ISLAND WITHDRAWLS! its only been a week since we were there.
We would like to plan a trip back to the island.
Hoping there will be another deal on soon. Its quite costly to take the ferry from Vancouver for 2 people and a vehicle.

Room Tip: All hotel rooms have a great view. If you would like a little more privacy try one of the cabins
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Mayne Island Resort

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Have to admit our stay was a "living social" voucher. Do not stay in the main lodge. Stay in the cabins.
The rooms have nice views from a balcony with some chairs. And the old floors are lovely. Other than that we had no sleep on the bed that made noise every time you rolled over. It was supposed to be a queen but I'm not sure on that one, it seemed small. Also not very sound proof.
The bathroom is minuscule to say the least and there was a terrible leak around the toilet. We did have a person show up as soon as we called and he said they were planning on redoing the tiles in the shower etc this winter. Also said to just use some towels to mop it up. Really? How about not using the room? May I suggest do something with the whole bathroom cause you can't move in there.
The people on mayne island are so friendly, everyone says hello to you. There are acouple sweet shops but basically that's it. The resort itself is a pretty spot with birds everywhere and the people working there are really nice. There is an indoor pool, hot tub, steam room & small gym. The beach is just down a short trail.

Room Tip: Pick a cabin, they are new and have nice views and each one has a nice barberque.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2014

The cabins are lovely, very spacious for two, or with 2 little ones. With 4 adults it can be a little less roomy as there is only one bathroom. The unit was immaculate on check in and well stocked with everything one could want/need, including free wi-fi. The grounds are gorgeous as is the setting. Very peaceful, lots to do if you want to get out for a nice walk or bike ride. The hot tub/pool were great, had the place to ourselves. The staff were very friendly and we loved the little liquor store, the Blue Heron I believe it's called. If you are in need of anything, all you have to do is ask. Lovely place to get a way for few nights.

Room Tip: I haven't stayed in the actual lodge, but I think any one of the cabins is a good choice.
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We loved our stay on this quite and peaceful resort. The condo style villa was brand new and had all the amenities we needed. The beach was private and only 2 minutes walk, the pool and hot tub were great and the ocean view from our condo was very serene.

Room Tip: The villa rooms easily accommodate 3 to 4 guests.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We found out about this place because of a Living Social coupon. Getting to the resort is easy and the estate is quite relaxing. It was similar to what I expected, but the website does make it seem much more upscale than what it really is. Also, many visitors were retired. The website boasts luxury, but there are not many luxury touches. It says it sleeps four, but I would say it is more like 3 adults or 2 adults with a few kids. It is set up like a 1 bedroom apartment, with a BBQ and all the utensils you need. I did find it strange to find just 1 bar of soap and 1 set of shampoo/conditioner. Also, vacationers should know there is no “maid service.” We spent $300 for 2 night stay (normal is closer to $300 per night). I feel if you are spending that much money, you should be provided some luxury. Alternatively, they should tell you when you check in. We also happened to find out at the end of our trip that complementary coffee and toast are available in the main lobby area. I do think it’s a stretch to call it a resort and people should know this is a fractional ownership property. We stayed in one of villas and it was really nice – beautiful bathroom, bedroom, living area and the view was spectacular! The bed, pillows and comforter were very comfortable! The pool is super tiny - super awkward to share the pool with other visitors...very likely to rub elbows or kick someone in face!
We dined one night and 1 breakfast at the Bennet Bay Bistro. The wait staff were friendly. At dinner, the waitress did forget to punch in our order and realized about 1 hour later…we were provided a free drink. We didn’t mind so much, but my tummy was grumbling! The burgers were good, price was fine. Breakfast was OK. If we go again, I would probably stock on some groceries rather than eat out.
All in all, the island is beautiful, but I do think the resort is overpriced. Had we paid full price, I would have been disappointment.

Room Tip: If you stay here, get the villa!
2  Thank Rubina M
phil_rose53, Owner at Mayne Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Hi Rubina, thank you for taking the time to write a review. I appreciate you saying the villa was really nice, comfortable and have spectacular Views. Your concerns are duly noted. As you pointed out, the Villas and Cottages are fully self contained so if you do visit us again (please do) definitely bring groceries and sundries and you'll save a lot of expense. We'd love to have you back out again.

Warm regards
Murray Rosengren owner

Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed here last year for my partner's 60th birthday. Calling it a resort is laughable. A low end youth hostel would be more luxurious. We had never been and the rooms look alright online. In reality rooms are shabby, and were not cleaned to anyone's standards. After we checked in we had to ask them to come clean the room as the room hadn't been cleaned. I think they charge about $159.00 a night for the room we were in. We were given no toiletries and when asked for some shampoo and soap were given something that had been previously used.

We ate lunch in the restaurant the first day and it took two hours to bring us a beet and spinach salad. Everyone makes mistakes so we tried the restaurant Saturday night. We both ordered the "seared duck breast'. We had to send it back twice. It was so undercooked that the skin on the fat was still white with a bit of black from a dirty grill. I finally I asked to see the Chef who was non other than the owner who just liked cooking but had no training. I had to explain to him how you properly sear a duck breast. I don't he even had food safe training. We decided not to eat breakfast there.
And that is not even the worst of it . We had borrowed some glasses from the kitchen for our own wine and when we took them back there was none around so we took them directly into the kitchen. It was the filthiest kitchen I have ever been. The floor, the counters, the stove it was totally unhygienic. Our last evening we were sitting in a lounge area reading and I could see into the kitchen area. I watched as they cut lettuce on the same counter they were chopping chicken. I even saw someone drop a piece of meat on the floor on the way to the grill pick up , brush it off and then put it back on the grill.

The swimming pool is also filthy but hey they have spa treatments. We even complained and they nothing to compensate us.

Do not stay here.

Room Tip: If you must stay in the cottages and eat elsewhere.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Canadiantravelwiter
phil_rose53, Owner at Mayne Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

I would like to ask our TripAdvisor readers to please see TripAdvisor's excellent review summary placing our cleanliness at four and a half balloons .

As for our restaurant, it is independently operated by two Chefs, they also receive great TripAdvisor reviews.

Our pool is extremely clean and monitored daily by a VIHA certified technician. The cottages and villas are spectacular, the Inn rooms are not luxury but are cozy, relatively inexpensive. Starting at $119 they are the best deal in the Gulf Islands. All of our accommodations have stunning ocean views.

To finish I would just like to say that our staff strive to give good customer service but we do drop the ball occasionally. Having said this, we find that a critical but fair review rather than someone just venting their spleen is actually very helpful towards our improvement. Thank you for reading my reply and please read a few more reviews to get a more balanced perspective.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

The staff of the resort were very nice and helpful for the most part.

The Bistro attached to the resort was just unbelievable. Burnt steak (x2), burnt fries, low end cuisine and a rude owner. We didn't complain about our food because the owner had been quite rude to us before we even tried the restaurant -- while we were waiting to check in. Still, we gave them a shot as the resort owner said the food was quite good, they failed spectacularly.

We stayed in the main resort. The view was amazing, but the room was comically small. I love when resorts have price points for all budgets and we aren't really all that picky when it comes to a room. We need it to be clean and offer some basic amenities -- this room was pretty clean and had what we needed but it was so small we had to play human tetris while we walked around. The bathroom was even smaller and the toilet seemed to leak from the back -- either that or the shower did. It was hard to tell. No screens on the doors meant sleeping in the hot room with them closed or braving the bugs. We went with open/bugs and i came home with 100+ bites to prove it.

It's not all bad though, as i said the staff were very nice and helpful once we were checked in (4PM check-in is not a suggestion here... don't arrive early). The water pressure was also great, though with the tiny shower they ensure you don't use too much water!

The continental breakfast was... not. They had bread in the fridge and a two-slice toaster. No pastry, muffins, etc.

Mayne is a nice island that you only really need a day to explore.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building are good for single occupancy only.
3  Thank joshinvictoria
Galiano Oceanfront Inn and Spa
Galiano Oceanfront Inn and Spa
#1 of 11 in Galiano Island
The Cottages on Salt Spring Island
The Cottages on Salt Spring Isla...
#5 of 22 in Salt Spring Island
Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa
Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa
#1 of 4 in Central Saanich

Been to Mayne Island Resort? Share your experiences!