“Clearwater Lake”

Clearwater Lake Provincial Park
Ranked #1 of 9 things to do in The Pas
More attraction details
Owner description: Appropriately named for the lake's visible deep water, this park offers hiking, camping, canoeing, swimming and excellent fishing.
The Pas, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Clearwater Lake”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

The most beautiful freshwater lake. Crystal clear, you can see your toes as you walk out into it. It is really quite a stunning natural sight. Purple sand in some areas, small waterfalls in others. Rocky lake is amazing. We have camped in this area for 5 years now and never does it stop amazing me the beauty of the area. Especially when the Northern Lights appear....

Visited July 2013
5 Thank KraziBabi

The Pas, Canada
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 106 helpful votes
“Northern Beauty at it's Best!”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Being from Southern Alberta, I never thought I would say, "I love living in Northern Manitoba!" Sure, there's some climate differences and lack of certain amenities, but the beauty and serenity makes up for the change. I recently stayed in a Yurt at Clearwater Provincial Park (Campers Cove) and had a blast with the family. Seeing as we don't have a camper yet, and have two very young children, it was nice to stay in the Yurt. It has beds, a table and chairs, room for a travel Graco crib and other additions (garbage, broom, small armoire, heater and fan). We picked to best & most private site. Free firewood with a good quality fire pit made for fun times around the fire. There are modern washrooms & showers (yes!!), and electricity. Our site was right by the beach, so that was convenient (beach was great & equipped with playground). A side note, bring multiple types of mosquito control!! We had coils burning all around, candles, burner, the fire, bug spray, citronella bracelets, and a bug tent, so we were able to enjoy ourselves. Plus, we used Raid spray to fog our camping area. HIGHLY recommend stocking up before going out if you want to sit and relax, and not swat every few seconds!! Also, if you have kids, go to campground office and ask for a kids bag. PS: Yes, BEARS are around the area, so being bear safe is recommended! Info at campground office or online. Online availability; random at best around the campground, but slim to none. And remember, MUST have a Provincial Parks pass.

Visited June 2013
9 Thank DaisyThePas
Winnipeg, Canada
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Explore the Caves”
Reviewed 17 August 2013

We just completed a short tour of Northen Manitoba and did the short hike exploring the caves at Clearwater Provincial Oark. They were absolutely amazing, and beautiful. We thoroughly enjoyed exploring them. I was surprised at the amount of garbage there was in the caves, on the walk and in the parking lot, so that's why the 4 stars. The Mosquitos were quite hungry, so bug spray is essential. The view of the lake is beautiful. I quite enjoyed it, as did the people I was with. A park pass is required to park in the parking lot there.

Visited August 2013
Saskatoon, Canada
“Excellent”
Reviewed 12 June 2013

The water is so clear and the waves are majestic. Even had an opportunity to go to Purple Sand Island and the Caves. Amazing....

Visited June 2013
Muenster, Germany
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Yes, It's Clear”
Reviewed 25 October 2012

I've seen the lake in Summer and Winter, and I swam in it, and kayaked on it. As I keep saying in my other reviews "I am from Europe", and found the water hideously cold. Which is just fine in 30+°C Manitoba Summers!

Knowing that the ice stays until May and that I feel cold when somebody mentions Winter (a suboptimal condition when visiting Canada), I donned a wet suite before hopping in with snorkel and mask. And, yes, it is a clear as a swimming pool once your a bit away from the shore!

There is a nice campground (actually there are two; we stayed in the Eastern one), and you get a beach, swimming area, playground, beach volleyball field, and firewood as well.

"The Caves", a short loop for a stroll, is nearby (with a car), and it makes for a nice 15min to 1h hike, depending if you're in a hurry (why would you) or if you take your sweet time looking at the forest, the lake, or the deep clefts in the cliff that give the area its name.

If you start the loop counter-clockwise, you'll get to the lake in 5min max, and I found the ice formations at the shore in Winter amazing.

Visited February 2012