“A Fairy Tale of a Place”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in West Tytherley
Farthing Corner Bed & Breakfast
Reviewed 3 October 2011

From the moment we arrived at Farthing Corner we were treated as special guests. Hostess Liz could not have been more welcoming. The cottage is so picturesque is looks as though it stepped right out of the pages of a fairy tale. The inside is just as beautiful with lovely antiques and fresh flowers from the garden. Our bedroom was quite large and very comfortable. We were invited to explore the beautiful grounds and I spent a happy morning enjoying the gardens and wildlife and watching the antics of the resident hens and rooster! Breakfast included fresh eggs, homemade apple juice, jams and breads, homegrown vegetables - all delicious. Liz was happy to share her extensive knowledge of the area with us (even lent us her atlas for the day). We took her advice and had dinner at the local pub and we were not disappointed. I only wish we could have stayed a few more days and will plan on doing just that if we are ever in the area again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 September 2011

After a long drive down beautiful country roads we arrived at The Farthing Corner and stepped into a fairy tale. The owner Liz made us feel welcomed and tended to our every need even making me a fresh mint tea that fixed my queasy stomach in two sips. The bedrooms are well appointed and as the house, beautifully decorated. Comfortable beds with crisp linens and ample bathroom with great showers and deep tubs. The grounds are magnificent and the apple tree bursting with deliciously sweet apples makes you feel like quitting the city for good and becoming a farmer. The hearty full English breakfast with homemade apple juice and sausages was perfectly served and reminds you of how much better home cooking really is. The B&B is only a few minutes drive from Salisbury and its magnificent Cathedral home to the best preserved copy of the Magna Carta and also close to Stonehenge, so if you are planning to visit either of those places do yourself a favor: stay at the Farthing Corner and you will thank me.

Room Tip: Don't miss the fresh apple juice!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 August 2011

My brother and I visited this property in August. The property is very well maintained by the owner, Liz. She is a remarkable host who is also chair of the local village committee and strong supporter of the local pub next door. I also recommend her fresh apple juice!

Beds
Very comfortable, much better than what I have slept on at 5 star hotels.

Breakfast
Breakfast is amazing, serving locally sourced produce. I enjoyed her scrambled eggs very much, not too dry.

Overall
I would recommend this property to any visitor wishing to explore the countryside.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank iwishiwasonvacation
Reviewed 25 August 2011

Truly Farthing Corner is a special place. Liz is the perfect host, the place is absolutely lovely, breakfast is very enjoyable (Liz makes the jams and juices herself with stuff from her garden), and the house is a stunning example of english cottage, incredibly confortable and memorable. We spend there the best three days of our 2 weeks of travelling south England. The quality of Liz's accomodation is simply overwhelming. Even the nearby pub is perfect! No doubt our first and only choice in the region.

Room Tip: Simply ask for a room... no tricks, no tips here... There's one bigger and with a double bed.
1  Thank Juan Pedro P
Reviewed 25 August 2011

A wonderful B & B in Wiltshire's Test Valley,with an extremely warm welcome from Liz Dowding. Our double room was large and comfy ( as was the bed!) - loved the fluffy bath robes for guest use also. The rpivate bathroom was very well appointed. Breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice and the scrambled eggs were the best we have tasted for years. Local amenities include many good local pubs and Salisbury, Avebury within easy distance. We can highly recommend this B & B and hope to return .

1  Thank T H
Reviewed 21 August 2011

My wife and me are very frequent travellers to the UK and we always stay with the better B&Bs and then often visit National Trust places. Although we are Dutch, we are members of the NT since over 25 years.
This B&B ranks in the top ones we have had and we will certainly be back. When in England you do as the English is the slogan of Liz when it comes to breakfast. A simple toast and jam or cereal is frowned upon. That apparently is for folk from the continent who do not know better.... Here is the real stuff and cooked by Liz to perfection. She also is a great hostess and very knowledgeable on the whole area of Wiltshire and Hamshire and no doubt many other counties. Having worked for a multinational, english is my second language but I told Liz she spoke it very clearly and it was easy for us to understand her. With some accents this is more difficult than with others. You ask Liz yourself where she grew up to acquire such an old 'BBC' accent.
The B&B was exactly as advertised, the area beautiful and there are many interesting places to visit. Very convenient to have a friendly country pub closeby (600m, I measured it with my car...) At night it was completely quiet and one sleeps very well.

2  Thank DonC48
Reviewed 18 July 2011

We would defy any number of Michelin starred chefs(including Heston) to equal the breakfast provided for us by Liz at Farthing Corner. Each ingredient was hand picked,some home produced,and all was cooked and presented with such finesse that we were gasronomically stunned with admiration.

Room Tip: Our double with ensuite was spacious and luxurious,far better than the standard provided by most top...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jolly4

Been to Farthing Corner Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!