All reviewsfresh apple juicefarthing cornerfull englishcooked breakfasttrimmingsensuitewedding
Reviewed 14 December 2012

A beautiful B&B, friendly and well appointed. Greeted with a warm welcome, then coffee and cake was very much enjoyed. Warm comfortable bed awaited us after a dinner at the local pub. Liz is a charming host as well as knowledgeable in what there is to see in the area. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 December 2012

Arriving late Sunday night, the owner, Liz, was more than accommodating, helping with directions and a warm welcome with a cup of tea. I stayed two nights, and the location was perfect for attending the Carol Thanksgiving service at Winchester cathedral on Monday and the KRH Medals parade on Tuesday in Tidworth. I will definitely return with my husband this time to explore the entire area, which is magnificiently picturesque, just one beautiful village after the next. And also visit gardens and Salisbury. Coming from France, it was just over a 3 and a half hours drive from the Eurotunnel, but next time, we will take the ferry into Portmouth from Caen.

The cottage is a perfectly restored 300 year old thatched roof cottage, and the pictures on the website don't do it justice. It has a back view onto the forrest and pond, and is completely tranquil. The bedroom and living room are full of beautiful XVIII th century walnut antiques as well. But it is also warm and cozy, with a big fire roaring, and a delightfully toasty room with the most comfortable king size bed I"ve slept in in years. And the bathroom was spotless with a delightful bath and huge walk in shower.

Liz provides a relaxed, authentically warm welcome, and her scrambled eggs at breakfast must not be missed. Home away from home.

Room Tip: I didn't visit the other rooms, but the main King Size room was absolutely divine.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 October 2012

My wife, daughter and I recently stayed with Liz at Farthing corner and had a wonderful time. Liz welcomed us on arrival with tea and cake which was really appreciated after 36 hours of round the world travel! We were also treated to a very tasty home cooked meal and dessert that night before climbing into very comfortable beds. The breakfast Liz provided would satisfy any appetite with plenty of good quality local produce to choose from. In meeting some of the local folks who came by Farthing Corner in their travels, you could really sense the community unity amongst the people here.
Liz was also very helpful with providing tips on what to see and do, including loaning us a comprehesive road atlas.
All in all I would highly recommennd staying at Farthing Corner to see a quiet and lovely part of country England.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 September 2012

From the tea and cake on our arrival, to the fantastic breakfast of home made sausages and locally sourced products, including lardy cake (which we took on our walk) the six of us thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Farthing Corner.

Liz was charming and informative and helped us with our map reading to return to the Clarendon Way to complete our walk to Winchester. We hope to stay with her again next year!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 September 2012

My wife and I stayed at Farthing Corner on a trip we took throughout most of England and Wales. We stayed in the Cottage which is an outbuilding to the main B&B. I would underline that if it was simply cleaned more thoroughly it would have been a cute place to stay, provided you like being in the country and dont mind the rustic nature of this place.

The owner was somewhat friendly, but slightly condescending at times. Im sure it wasnt intentional, but is a matter of fact.

In the cottage we found the floors and bathroom very dirty, a shower head in need of repair and spiders in most corners. The bed was comfortable but the sheets musky.

We requested an early breakfast which was kindly accommodated, however my wife upon taking her first spoonful of cereal noticed that her spoon was dirty. Yuck!

My parents, who stayed in a room in the main building reported that their room was cleaner but could not stand the smell of the place. Again, it is very old, so not sure why this is, but again, it's hundreds of years old.

Generally speaking this place is not worth the price, nor is it a five star by any standards.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family