“Unimpressed”

Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 12 July 2014

When the Duck was first under its recent new management it was always busy, but it was only one third full this Saturday lunchtime. That tells you something. First course (scotch egg) was fine, though the sweet mustard mayonnaise was rather cloying. Second course (rib-eye steak with stilton butter) was simply not nice. The waitress never asked "did you enjoy your food sir" or any other pleasantry like that. The service was off-hand and inattentive. We waited ages for a dessert menu which never came, so I just paid up and left. Again, the waitress didn't enquire whether I'd enjoyed the meal, so instead I asked her if she wanted any feedback. I told her what I've just written here, and she then assailed me with a load of excuses ...."you were having an animated conversation so I didn't want to disturb you" and then, because my German partner does not do sotto voce (and I am partially deaf) she insulted us by saying that we were too loud! I have never known a restaurant to serve bad food AND insult its guests (other than Fawlty Towers of course). This place will not succeed I am afraid. Already they are getting a poor reputation locally, and I will continue to spread the word!

Reviewed 9 July 2014

I have been to The Duck numerous times and felt I must finally write a review. My Son had mussels to start and then a rare steak with Stilton butter and chips cooked in goose fat. I had potted shrimp and for main plaice on a bed of crushed peas with hollandaise sauce. The food here is OUTSTANDING. Lovely ambience and great service. We are so lucky to have Jim in the kitchen just a stone's throw from our home.
Thanks to the whole team for such a wonderful, relaxing evening with amazing food.
BTW.- I would say your homemade chips must be some of the best to be found anywhere in the world - if you're going to choose chips - they may as well be the best - enjoy, without feeling guilty.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We were visiting the area and had been given a strong recommendation to have a meal here during our stay.
This is a traditional English pub that now places an emphasis on the restaurant side of the business.
The ambiance is absolutely excellent.
It would be difficult to find fault with any aspect.
The staff clearly take a pride in their work.
We were a party of 4 and each of us had a different choice from the menu.
Everyone greatly enjoyed their meal which was very well presented with ample portions.
Well worth a visit, even if you have to travel a bit.
You will not be disappointed.

1  Thank Ronnie J
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This was recommended to us and are we glad we visited, a great meal excellently cooked and presented by polite and friendly staff , well done

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Gorgeous building, absolutely beautiful surroundings, great staff.

Sitting among fields on a country lane with footpaths leading from the car park into the beautiful countryside, there couldn't be a more beautiful setting. Upon arrival, we were welcomed by a delightful barman, and our drinks were very well served.

We had heard of the chefs special scotch eggs, but they weren't on the set Sunday lunch menu. We mentioned to the barman that we would have liked to try them, so he went to the kitchen and asked if they were available. They were, and we weren't disappointed. Served on a mash which tasted of fresh horseradish, they really were delicious. Go there and try them!!

The dining room was very attractive - light and airy, in the 'shabby chic' style, and as we sat down we spotted the home made ciabatta on the dresser, which was cut into chunks and served as an accompaniment - delicious!

The food was on the whole very good and we would certainly go again. However, there are one or two observations regarding the meal. Firstly, paper napkins! If I was in KFC I would expect them, but if I'm paying £60 for a two course lunch with modest drinks, I really don't think they are appropriate. Also, when our roasts were served they were swimming in gravy. I like lots of gravy, so wasn't that bothered, but I ready think the gravy should be served in jugs so you can have as much or little as you require. I'm sure some customers would be put off by so much gravy.

That said, the whole dining experience was very good, and we would certainly go again.

2  Thank christinekelly07