“Fun, different and very good value for money”

citizenM Schiphol Airport
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Schiphol
Reviewed 23 April 2009

This is one of only three hotels withing walking distance of the terminal and will definitely be my first choice for a hotel at Schiphol from now on. The other two (the Sheraton and Hilton) are typically three times the price. The Hilton might be an option if you want to pay that much, but I'd definitely avoid the Sheraton because the staff are unhelpful and they often close advertised facilities with little warning.

Room in the citizenM are quite small, but unusually designed and quite a bit of fun: with various lighting options and a rain shower. The atmosphere in the bar when I was there was pleasant and the staff friendly. I was a bit suspicous before arrival about their "canteen" concept, but the food offered was surprisingly interesting.

The on-line check in and check out is quick and easy to use. Ideal when you have a plane to catch.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (5,079)

Reviewed 21 April 2009

My only complaint is that once you take a shower you now have a big, wet puddle on the floor in the middle of your room

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 April 2009

I was not expecting this hotel to be a fashion statment. If this hotel was in the city with some food service it could have been considered 7 star hotel Exclent ambiance and decor in the enterance and loby. One can just spend the time seating in the loby and browse thorugh all teh coffee table books kept at every place. One can spend the time in teh part of the loby as per once mood as it is devided in differant colour thim.

The room was just out of this world. Totally modern gedgets and interior. I would have loved to stay longer if I was not on business trip . The distance to the airport is 5 minutes walk and one can carry the airport trolly all teh ay to the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
hotelexpertAmsterdam, Director of Distribution at citizenM Schiphol Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2009

Hi Jayshah51,

Thanks for the great review and your appreciation of what we have created at Schiphol!

You wrote "if this was in the city...".
Good news! We have just opened a sister hotel... in the city!!!
So on your next trip to Amsterdam, please feel free to chose between the convenience of the airport, or the buzz of the city!

Best, Lennert

citizenM hotels

Reviewed 20 April 2009

My chief complaint during the time I have lived in the Netherlands is that service (in restaurants, hotels, stores, etc.) is slow, apathetic, and occasionally downright rude. Citizen M defies this generalization. The staff was exceptionally attentive and friendly; they even took the time to look up and print out a bus schedule and guide for my mother, who wanted to visit the tulips in Keukenhof. The room was fantastic, very comfortable even for two people with large luggage, and the bed was so large that my mom and I were able to share it without ever touching each other or even feeling the other move throughout the night. The gadgets and decor were fun, as well. I strongly hope to see more Citizen Ms opening around the world (I'm looking forward to trying the one in Amsterdam proper) and would recommend this hotel without any doubt.

• Stayed: April 2009
Reviewed 19 April 2009

We arrived exhausted after our transatlantic flight and were amazed by the beauty of the interior of the Citizen M hotel. The concept appeals to us and after having stayed, we wish these hotels were everywhere. Initially dubious that the size would be enough for us to stay for 2 days, we were vERY pleasantly surprised at the spacious feel of the small room. the great services provided were just right... clean, hospitable, welcoming, adaptable, we have now stayed on two occasions and both were a FABULOUS value. The rain shower is something you can choose to use, or you can use the handle to select the hand held shower so you do not get a blast of cold water when you first turn on the water. We loved every aspect of this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2009

I stayed at citizenM over the Easter weekend. I discovered this place on TripAdvisor and I am so glad I did!! My opinion is pretty much the same as what others have posted: good value for the money, close to the airport (it's a 5 minute walk--I timed it). The hotel has a clean, chic, ultra-modern, hi-tech design and layout. Check-in is a cinch, and the staff is wonderful. I loved the big pillow-filled bed and the sleek layout of the room and common areas. However, the two bedside tables are very small and you can't securely put the average-sized laptop on it. There is nothing in the way of storage, save a small drawer underneath the bed.

I loved the mood-pad which allows you to control every aspect of the room -- it allows you can change the "mood" and "theme" of the room, control the blinds, and light blocking screen. The "wake up call" included turning on all the room lighting brightly, and sounds (you have the option of sheep, cows, and a human voice). Interesting.

As previously stated, there is no privacy in the room. So if you are traveling with others, you need to be very comfortable with them. It didn't bother me to have the shower and toilet right there, but not like I spent a huge amount of time in the room.

I had a drink and a snack at the canteen the night before I left. Many of the items available are over-priced, but the drink and cheese snack that I had were reasonable. I would recommend going to the airport food court for meals or shop little grocery store in the airport.

The hotel is easy to get to, under a covered walk, and at the end of the walk, you can park your luggage cart from the airport (and then get one for the walk back to the terminal). I got to the hotel at 9:30 in the morning, and they let me check-in right away. Although, I didn't need help, the staff was right there to make sure I had no problem checking-in. There is free wi-fi with a good speed and signal strength, however if you don't have a laptop, you can use one of the computers in the lobby, free of charge.

One thing that really amazed me was the how quiet the hotel was, despite being located essentially on the airport grounds. You are about 20-25 from Central Station via train, which is right there in the airport, another positive for the hotel.

Since the rooms are all the same, I didn't bother to post any more pictures. I hope they start putting these hotels in more places!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank QueenIces
Reviewed 19 April 2009

Excellent value-for-money...clean, safe, quiet. Rooms are spacious, design is funky.

Only drawback is that food and drink are a bit pricey (9,95 breakfast definitely NOT worth it). Would recommend you make the 5 min. walk to the airport and either eat there or buy food from one of the 3 grocery stores there.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Schiphol
Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center
Hilton Amsterdam Airport Schiphol
Ibis Budget Amsterdam Airport
Hotel Ibis Schiphol Amsterdam Airport
Dorint Airport Hotel Amsterdam
NH Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

Been to citizenM Schiphol Airport? Share your experiences!