We made a last minute decision to spend weekend in Amsterdam. We looked for hotels at the city center but most of them were fully booked or the prices had gone sky high. Our only option was to take a hotel outside the city---and came to know about Citizen M Schiphol.
Citizen M Schiphol is the trendiest hotel that we have ever been to. We didn’t have to leave the airport grounds to get there---it is just about a few steps from the main entrance of the airport. The building from afar is like a grey/beige box with the name of the hotel written on it. At the back of it is literally the runway of the airplanes. In front of it is the main highway to the airport. ‘sounds noisy, isn’t it? BUT IT ISN’T! It is actually quiet and very open. The walkway to the hotel from the airport is covered, therefore, rain and snow proof, I may say. The hotel entrance was very red, with its red glass doors and red glass hallway. The friendly English-speaking young man greeted us and booked us right away. Our hotel room was all ready when we got in at around 10 am. Key card was scanned and not stuck in the key slot. THE ROOM WAS DIFFERENT AND WE WERE CAUGHT IN A SURPRISE! Son loved it instantly, while I had to analyze it logically and get over it. It was beautiful at first glance but definitely weird. Intelligently and tastefully designed but…still different!
The room is controlled by a computerized control panel. When you get into the room, the panel greets you welcome. From there, you can control everything in the room---the lights, the window blinds, airconditioner, tv, etc. You can choose which mood do you want your room to be---business, romantic, love, etc. Super cool! Room has a large wall-to-wall bed with a big flat screen tv in front of it. Toilet and shower are two separate round cubicles but still is a part of the room. Its shape and location in the bed room is really awkward yet tasteful. It is like a cubicle where you utter the words : “Beam me up, Scotty”, or the bedroom of one of the teenage kids of the Jetsons. A hotel mascot awaits you in your room when you come in. It’s a rag doll and it is called Malik. She’s there to accompany you during your stay. If you decide to adopt her, you will be charged €19.95. Shampoos are in dispensers. You can buy the same shampoo with Citizen M’s logo on it from the souvenir shop of the hotel. There are about 60 tv channels in different languages. Film tv channels are free of charge.
My favourite part of this room is the wide glass window fronting the runway of the planes! Watch the planes land and take off from your bedroom window---how cool is that? Inspite of its closeness to the airport, this hotel is really SOUND PROOF! You can’t hear any sound at all! The bed itself is also the most comfortable bed that I’ve ever slept on. Lots of large pillows and the linens were soft and clean!
The bar downstairs is very cool and trendy. There are ready made foods that you can take by yourself. The price of the meals are very reasonable. Breakfast is available twenty four hours and there are so many places to lounge around, two conference rooms to hold your meetings and a computer area where you can use about 6 of their computers and printers FREE OF CHARGE! The overall design of this hotel is very young and futuristic. Very attractive for the youth, the young once and the modern business people who wish to stay there just for a lay over.
The down side of this are the toilet and the shower that was pretty much a part of the room. The toilet has a smoked window, yet you can see if someone is using it. The shower wall and door are totally see-thru. There is a white curtain between it and the bed, yet, you can see through it. This is not a bad thing if you are sharing the room with an itimate someone, but if you are sharing it with a friend of the opposite gender, hmmm...privacy might be difficult. I shared it with my teenage son. I took the shower with lights off and so did he.
My overall impression of this hotel? COOL! We liked it and will definitely going to use this hotel again. Will recommend this hotel anytime!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Connected to Amsterdam Airport Schiphol, citizenM offers affordable luxury for the weariest of travellers, with 355 rooms. Just a two-minute walk from the airport terminals, citizenM is a welcomed pit stop for the savvy and time-pressed guests. Business nomads also have the ease of booking at citizenM's newest societyM: a unique solution of creative meeting spaces. At societyM guests swap bleak conference suites for meeting rooms with innovative design, hi-tech hardware, plush Vitra furniture - even wipe-free walls. For the jet lagged mobile citizens, there's always high pressure rain showers, a XL king-size bed, mood lighting, and bespoke amenities. Enjoy free movies, stream your own content to the TV, and check out the genius MoodPad tablet that controls every detail of your room from temperature and blackout blinds to personalized music. 24/7 dining and cocktailing is also available at canteenM, whether you crave a hot breakfast or a cold beer. It's your call. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your citizenM Schiphol Airport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Citizenm Hotel Amsterdam Airport Hotel Schiphol-Rijk
- CitizenM Schiphol Airport Haarlemmermeer