I read the many positive reviews and decided to give it a try for one night before a morning flight out of Schipol. The rate was around 70 EUR / US$100, which was a little less than the Hilton or Sheraton also at the airport, where I normally stay at Schipol.
On arrival, be aware that the "covered walkway" is just that -covered- but not enclosed, so be prepared for a frozen walk to your hotel in the winter months.
On check-in, I was greeted by computer kiosks, which were the only electronic equipment that seemed to work in the hotel. A staff member indicated that the only place I could find a hot meal (other than popping something in their microwave) would be at the Sheraton or Hilton... not exactly what I wanted to hear at 10:00 PM after a long day of meetings in the cold city.
The Philips remote control that operates all features of your guest room is a nightmare. It spent most of the evening in "please wait" mode -- I had to reboot it twice when it completely locked up, a process that involves standing in the hallway so that it can communicate with your door lock (I kid you not). Unfortunately, the remote controls the in-room lights (there is an external "off" switch, however), television, alarm clock and temperature. Frustrated and unable to unfreeze the remote, I wanted to throw it out the window but unfortunately the blinds were stuck shut (also controlled by the evil remote).
The bed was comfortable, no complaint there.
I was unable to successfully connect to the hotel's wifi service due to unknown 'network connection' problems, which was disappointing.
In the morning after again wrestling with the remote, I was introduced to the hotel's second major design flaw: the shower. In concept, it is similar to The Standard hotels (which I enjoy), with a glass enclosure in the center of the room. UNFORTUNATELY, this Star Trek transporter meets Habitrail tube shower is designed for one person and requires that you close the doors behind you before the water starts. ...you guessed it, like dumping a bucket of cold water on your head while the tap heats up.
Your toilet is also in the center of the room, giving it a prison-esque feel. I suppose that it would be convenient when you need to call out from the bed only a few feet away to ask your friend or significant other to "light a match." Sexxy.
On checkout, I told one one of the hotel's few humans about the shower, she said "oh yeah, we try to tell people to turn on the shower and then close the doors from the outside for a while before using it." I was never good at puzzles.
When I return in a few weeks, I'm staying at the Hilton... probably eating at the Sheraton.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Connected to Amsterdam Airport Schiphol, citizenM offers affordable luxury for the weariest of travellers, with 355 rooms. Just a two-minute walk from the airport terminals, citizenM is a welcomed pit stop for the savvy and time-pressed guests. Business nomads also have the ease of booking at citizenM's newest societyM: a unique solution of creative meeting spaces. At societyM guests swap bleak conference suites for meeting rooms with innovative design, hi-tech hardware, plush Vitra furniture - even wipe-free walls. For the jet lagged mobile citizens, there's always high pressure rain showers, a XL king-size bed, mood lighting, and bespoke amenities. Enjoy free movies, stream your own content to the TV, and check out the genius MoodPad tablet that controls every detail of your room from temperature and blackout blinds to personalized music. 24/7 dining and cocktailing is also available at canteenM, whether you crave a hot breakfast or a cold beer. It's your call. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Ebookers, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your citizenM Schiphol Airport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Citizenm Hotel Amsterdam Airport Hotel Schiphol-Rijk
- CitizenM Schiphol Airport Haarlemmermeer