“Good location but expensive”

Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Schiphol
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 2 February 2013 via mobile

Excellent food and service for both dinner and breakfast. Hotel room was very clean but basic. Expensive hotel, paying for the location. Internet wasn't free which was disappointing for the cost of the room.

• Stayed: January 2013
smitsf, General Manager at Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2013

Dear Londondiners,

Thank you for staying with us for your recent stay to Amsterdam and writing a review here on TripAdvisor.

I am proud that you found our service and food to be “Excellent”. As far as the internet prices are concerned, please be informed that we have the first half hour WIFI free of charge for our guests. Furthermore we have 4 terminals in the lobby with complimentary internet access. Charges for additional WIFI access are indeed applicable in our hotel and these charges are aligned throughout our hotels within Starwood Hotels & Resorts.

I hope to give a warm welcome again to serve our excellent food and service.

Fred Smits

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center

Reviewed 1 February 2013

First of all, I booked my room with a debit card to see if they'll accept it (if they will make this small exception). I called 10 times at least prior to my arrival to make sure that everything has been booked and paid by the debit card. They kept on assuring me it was paid and everything was fine with my booking.

The day of my arrival: I arrived straight from the airport and the interior made very good impression to me. The location is indeed perfect (but of course, they could add some more entertainment facilities to the airport itself to make it better for the people who want to hang out at Schiphol and are too tired to go somewhere else). Anyway, I arrived there and the receptionist (too bad I don't remember her name) was very rude and told me my debit card was rejected since it was not a credit card and they can't do anything about it besides forcing me to deposit 400 euros apart from the other amount i had to pay now. OKAY, this was shocking to me since I've called them so many times to check if my booking was already paid and they confirmed it was. I gave all this money to them there after I arrived including the deposit. I thought this was too off and shocking to me that nobody even cared to call and inform me that my debit card was rejected. Do they really communicate to each other there? Anyway.... The receptionist herself saw i had a big suitcase but didn't make the effort to ask me if I needed help with my luggage, which would be expected from a 4 star establishment in Amsterdam. I was really shocked and disappointed. Her attitude was horrible. I wonder who would let somebody like her work for their hotel even if it was a 1 star budget visitors only motel.

The room: I entered my room and my first impression was okay but nothing spectacular for the amount I've paid. I thought the bathroom looked nice BUT when I looked carefully I noticed that there was no toilet brush, the bathroom countertop was dusty and the shower was outdated. This was really unbelievable!

Good points: The bar inside is really beautiful and comfortable. The interior in the lobby and the whole hotel is modern and I found it appealing. The room service food was really good and fresh. The rooms service personnel was very kind and they were very professional.

Housekeeping: I asked housekeeping to clean my room and went out for a while. After I got back everything was clean BUT , my medicine had disappeared! I really freaked out because I urgently needed my medicine! I called housekeeping multiple times asking them to ask who's cleaned my room and to find my medicine. The duty manager came to my room and offered me to take me to the medical center or to look for the medicine with me. I kindly refused after looking for my medicine for over 2 hours on my own. I really got annoyed since I was exhausted from a long day away and now this! I was shocked! The duty manager told me the maid didn't see any medicine when she was cleaning! So basically saying I was lying... I WAS REALLY REALLY disappointed by the housekeeping service and duty manager... Really, what on earth are these people thinking- MEDICINES SHOULD NOT BE TOUCHED even if they are not on the ground. Clearly, these people have never done any hospitality school or at least they seemed like it... I guess that's why they couldn't offer proper solutions to all of their mistakes...

Anyway.... apart from this...

The another receptionist was pretty well-behaved and very polite on the day I left, which I found was very good. However, I don't think I'm coming back unless I'm very desperate location wise just because I don't want any of my other stuff to be thrown away just because the maids didn't see what they were throwing away or vacuum cleaning (they also threw away my food - my meal, which i didn't have time to eat or touch yet and was in the room). I had to literally use the 'do not disturb' sign at my door while I'm away, so the maids don't come in and throw away my stuff. I was that afraid of them after what happened. And no free internet connection in the 21st century? Really, water under the bridge!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Dasha E

Dear Diana E,

First of all, I would like to thank you for your valuable feedback about our hotel.

Secondly, I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the whole situation from check-in to losing your medicine. It must have been very irritating and I can understand your feelings and disappointment. Normally we are known of a great service and warm, welcoming team members. I regret to read that we have failed to deliver them during your last stay. I take your feedback very seriously, and please be informed that I will follow up with the related departments to make sure that it will not happen again.

In the end, I would like to apologize again and hope that beside the inconveniences you faced, we may welcome you back soon for a very comfortable stay.

Reviewed 1 February 2013

The Sheraton at the airport in Amsterdam is a good and nice place to stay for a night.
The rooms are of good standard. The view as you can expect from the location not great. The hotel restaurants serve good food.
The biggest flaw was the front desk, a lengthy procedure to check-in, I think one of the longest times ever spent for this in a Sheraton hotel. One of the things that were lacking at the front desk was a clear separation of the service for gold and platinum card members, which partly is an explanation for the experienced long time. Would recommend the hotel to improve this.
This is also a good hotel for a day conference. A typical one night hotel for transfer or meeting.

Dear MOLSWE,

I highly appreciate the feedback about my hotel from a Senior Contributor of TripAdvisor.

I am glad that you liked the food during your stay. However I regret to read that your stay has not been entirely up to your satisfaction because of the waiting time at check-in. It must have been frustrating for you, I can imagine. Please be informed that I will personally share your feedback with my team members.

I hope to give you a very warm welcome back soon.

Reviewed 30 January 2013

This is exactly the perfect business hotel. Conveniently located at the Amsterdam airport terminal, it has all the facilities you would expect from a business hotel, from a Sheraton standard. I have been here several times for small meetings and found it very confortable. On top of this, the city center is easy to reach with the train.
The restaurant is also fine.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
smitsf, General Manager at Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2013

Dear Danpaj,

Thank you for your time and for the warm thoughts about our hotel. I really appreciate that.

I have no doubt saying that you enjoyed the most convenient location of our hotel which is directly connected with Schiphol Amsterdam Airport. I am glad to read that you have visited us several times and that you have had comfortable stays. Thank you very much for your specific comments regarding meetings, I will share your positive feedback with the related department. To make your next stay memorable, I would recommend you to go on a bike ride to explore the local area, I am sure you will enjoy it.

I hope your business brings you back to Amsterdam soon and I wish you a very warm welcome.

Reviewed 23 January 2013

This hotel has great location, as you can walk to it from terminal without actually leaving the airport, so if the weather is bad , it is great choice. Reception always has just green sour apples, that no one eats, so I can understand they look nice, but it would be welcoming if actually they have edible fruit to welcome tired travelers after the large bill they are served for one night stay. Rooms are so small that actually bed room is not a bad description, there is a room with a bed in it, also on the executive floors.
Beds are short, I think they are 2 m exact and also queen size.
good about hotel is that if you need to meet any business partners it is a decent representable location with nice restaurant and atrium.
I would only recommend it for 1 day stay, 2 days - only if you must.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business

Dear DavisandCo,

Thank you very much for your feedback about our hotel on TripAdvisor. In our constant improvement process, your feedback is of a great value to us.

I am glad that you enjoyed the convenient location of our hotel which is indeed directly connected with the airport. As far as the bed sizes are concerned, please be informed that we recently placed King Size beds in many rooms. So, please do not forget to ask for an upgrade to a Kind Size bed upon your next stay. Please be also informed that many of our appreciated guests love Granny Smith apples and that is the reason we place them in the lobby area. Please share your next arrival detail with me and I will personally make sure you have different type of apples in your room.

I hope your travel brings you back to Amsterdam and I wish you a very warm welcome.

Reviewed 23 January 2013

I fly through Schiphol at least 10 times per year and often stay at the Sheraton. Yes, it's pricey, but seeing as you don't even have to go outside to get to the hotel from the terminal, and considering a few extras, I think it is totally worth the cost. The gym is absolutely fantastic and a great way to shake off jet-lag and the 24-hour complimentary coffee and tea station on the 4th floor is a really nice touch. The rooms are nice, the beds are comfortable and there is free wifi in the lobby. Still, I do think that in this day and age, all hotels should offer complimentary internet in the rooms - the astronomical rates charged are actually quite insulting once you've already shelled out $400/night and that is the only reason I didn't give the full five stars.

2  Thank blythespirit77
smitsf, General Manager at Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2013

Dear blythesprit77,

I highly appreciate a warm review from Top Contributor of TripAdvisor. It is very thoughtful of you.

It is pretty clear to me that you recent stay with us has been up to the level of satisfaction we opt for. I will share your specific comment “Always a good stay” with my team members who work hard to make your stay as much comfortable as possible. I learnt from your profile that during travelling you try to blend in with the locals. I would highly recommend you to explore the exciting surrounding of Amsterdam on a bike which can be borrowed from us.

I hope you have a chance to come Amsterdam soon and we look forward to give you a warm welcome.

Reviewed 22 January 2013

After a tiring flight I was happy not to have to leave the airport for a hotel. I can not rate this hotel on other hotels in Amsterdam but I can rate according to other Sheratons. The bed is the best part of staying at a Sheraton and this hotel did not disappoint with the bed. So with that in mind, it was really all I cared about. That is why I gave it a 4 star and the only reason. The hotel was expensive, there is no free internet, there is no in-room coffee pot (really disappointing). Even 1 star hotels have coffee.!!! They were suppose to have free breakfast but I saw no one eating, so I just opted for the flight lounge's croissants and coffee. It was free also. LOL

The room was clean but no extras of anything. Even the TV was boring. But like I said, all I cared about was a good sleep which I got. All I had to do was just check out and walk to my gate. Very easy, No fuss. I would stay again or maybe try the Hilton which also has an in-airport hotel, As for the expense, I have heard that Amsterdam is not cheap to begin with so the Sheraton's rates may be on par. Plus the airport as tons of shopping to keep you interested. Oh, I did forget to say that the company did pay for the room so price was really not a factor for me. If it was, I would have done my homework way before landing there.

Room Tip: The beds are very very comfortable, And that really goes for almost every Sheraton I have stayed...
1  Thank kkenn4153
smitsf, General Manager at Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2013

Dear kkenn4153,

Thank you for sharing your experience about your recent stay with us. It is always great to read your warm thoughts.

It seems like you stayed with us due to the cancelation of flight, it must have been little upsetting for you I can imagine. But I am glad that we could turn those hours into something memorable. Thanks to Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed and specially installed windows, you could sleep well without getting disturbed by runway noises. Please be informed that we do offer 30 minutes free internet and beside that our appreciated guests can also use internet at Link@Sheraton free of charge. We understand that coffee and tea facility is very important and that is why we have coffee and tea facility available on 1st, 4th & 6th floor and it is also possible to order coffee and tea facility in your room free of charge. So, I would recommend you to please share with us upon your next stay if you would like to have coffee and tea facility in your room.

I hope you have a chance to explore exciting city of Amsterdam and I wish you a very warm welcome back.

Fred Smits

Also consider these accommodations in or near Schiphol
Hilton Amsterdam Airport Schiphol
citizenM Schiphol Airport
Ibis Budget Amsterdam Airport
Hyatt Place Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
Hotel Ibis Schiphol Amsterdam Airport
NH Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

Been to Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!