Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Schiphol
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Crew hotel”
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

Sheraton Airport hotel even if is an Airport Hotel has all the conforts of a city hotel. Rooms are nice and quiet, gym and spa are 24hrs and well equipped. Bars and restaurant have good selection of food and beverages.
Train to city center is 3 minutes away and takes 20 min to reach Amsterdam.
The airport has a little mall with lots of shop and coffee places plus pubs and food stations.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
KurtRenold, General Manager at Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Nicola C,

How nice and thoughtful of you to put your review here on Trip Advisor. As from your comments i am glad you took advantage of our location with transport facilities in proximity, shops and food and drink possibilities. I hope you have plans to return to us one day.

Kurt Renold

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Henderson, NV
Reviewed 22 June 2014

On our recent vacation to Amsterdam, we actually stayed at this hotel twice during our 9 day stay!

The first stay was for the use of a dayroom when we arrived at 8am on the United Airlines flight from Newark. Flying to Europe from New York always makes us feel exhausted when arriving early in the morning. The nice thing about the Sheraton is that they offer a rate for use of the room for those that just want to take a nap and freshen up before heading into the city. You are permitted to have the room at this Sheraton from 8am until 6pm on the day room rate plan. The check-in agent was very welcoming. I am a SPG member but there were not rooms available on the SPG floor when I arrived. This did not matter to us. I opted for the room that was immediately available on a standard floor and it was clean and comfortable. It was actually a handicap room which I didn't mind. We just had to be careful not to touch the strings in the bathroom as this was the way for someone to summon help in case of a fall. Anyway, even though the room was satisfactory, I think the front desk should still inform the guest if they are going to be assigned a handicap room. The agent forgot to do this. A rollaway bed was provided since there were three people in the room and it was the most comfortable rollaway I have ever slept in. We slept for a solid five hours, then showered and felt totally rejuvenated to head into town. A lot of people are able to start touring immediately when they arrive first thing in the morning. Not us. I felt exhausted and am glad there is a Sheraton with day rates inside the airport only a short walk away from the customs exit.

Our flight departing from Amsterdam back to Newark was also early in the morning so we opted to stay at this Sheraton again on our last night in Amsterdam. We did most of our last minute purchases and touring and then headed to the hotel the evening before our departure that was scheduled for 9:30am. I feel much more comfortable being at the airport when I wake up if my flight is early. This is why I am a big fan of any hotel that is inside of an airport. There is less stress, you are already packed and can just walk right to the airline check-in counter after leaving the hotel. Check-in was efficient and friendly as usual. This time the SPG floor was available and a little bit nicer than the prior room.

My favorite feature of this hotel? No more mini bars in the room! Bravo! I am so tired of mini bars in all of the hotels I stay at all around the world because I always get charged for the items inside when I never touched them. Then I have to call down to have the charges removed. It happens all of the time. This particular Sheraton is ingenious because to accommodate those who want something quick, they placed one large self-service mini bar machine on each floor where the customer can walk down the hall, insert their room key, choose the items they want and the bring them back to their room. This is the best solution because it takes away the upkeep of having one in every room and the multitudes of inaccurate charges. I wish this would be the system at all hotels.

The lobby is clean and modern with free Internet access and computer usage. We checked-in for our flight and were able to print our boarding passes. This is a standard feature at all Sheraton properties. That evening, we had a light dinner at the restaurant adjacent to the lobby. Then we went to bed at about 9pm, had a solid sleep and woke up at 5:30am.

One inconveience that occurred when I examined the bill on the television before check-out is that the hotel adds a charitable "donation" onto your bill. In principle, I am against hotels adding charitable charges onto the folio. Whose to say the hotel's chosen charity is the best one? I prefer to choose my own charities and not have to be forced to spend extra time visiting or telephoning the front desk to have such fees removed. If the particular charity was so important to the hotel, why don't they pay the 1 Euro themselves? They can afford it with the relatively high hotel rates they charge and the revenues they receive. The guest should not be forced to take action to request removal of the fee, it should not be added in the first place. I prefer the Hong Kong system where an envelope is placed in your room and then you have a choice of what amount you want to donate. I would argue they would receive more in donations with this system since people often want to get rid of their small change before departing and an envelope can be sealed to be turned in to the front desk.

This is a solid and high quality property and I will definitely return. My advice for anyone who wants to stay here is to book early (especially during the summer months).

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Meadows015
KurtRenold, General Manager at Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear G702TT,

Thank for your detailed feedback and for taking the time to provide us with your thoughts on how you experienced your stay with us. I am glad to hear you had an excellent time here at the Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel. Thank you for your nice compliments, especially regarding our refreshment center, which you appreciated. On the other hand I would like to thank you for the feedback concerning the handicapped room. Both, compliments and feedback, will be shared during our team briefings. Hopefully you will come back one day; our team is always at your service to assist you with any future requests. Until that time I would like to thank you for caring.

Paia, Hawaii
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Finished our journey thru Europe by staying just 1 night at the Sheraton Amsterdam Hotel & Conference Center, BIG MISTAKE! From the moment we arrived till our flight departure 18 hours later, we were amazed at the friendly & professional attitude displayed by all the staff. Their personal interest in making sure that we were well taken care of, is something that I would not expect from a airport hotel. We loved the interior design of the hotel & the food & service was outstanding! we stayed at 6 Starwood hotels, including 2 luxury collections, during our vacation and are most impressed by our short stay with you. Special compliments to Claudia at the front desk, Michael at the lobby bar and Joan (pm manager) & Antonio (am manager). We are looking forward to staying much longer at the Sheraton Amsterdam Hotel our next journey to Europe. Aloha from Hawaii... Dave & Desiree Baker

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
KurtRenold, General Manager at Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Dear PaiaDave,

Thank for your feedback and for taking the time to provide us with your thoughts on how you experienced your stay here at our hotel. Our ambition is to provide our guests with memorable experiences and I am so delighted to learn that we were able to make your short stay at Schiphol even more enjoyable. Thank you for your nice compliments and I will certainly share these with Claudia, Michael, Joan and Antonio. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel.

Vevey
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Had to pay a club room from over 300€ a night (the rest was fully booked). For that prize got a very small, unoriginal, square room with limited view, very average equipment and bathroom. In addition, the room was extremely noisy, I could hear staff and guests visiting the lounge until 11:30pm and from 6:15am. Ate at the restaurant the staff was very friendly but the food pricy and tasteless. At that prize it is certainly the worst value for money I have had over the past years.

3 Thank Frenes5
KurtRenold, General Manager at Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Dear Frenes5,

Thank you for your honest feedback following your stay in our hotel. I really appreciate your constructive comment, as it allows us to improve the overall guest experience.
First of all, I would like to thank you for your compliments regarding our restaurant staff. However, I am sorry to learn that you feel the room and food price-value relation is not up to standard. Furthermore, I am sorry to read that you experienced noise next to your room. Please be kindly informed that our Club Lounge is opened from 7 a.m. till the 11 p.m., therefore I will definitely share this feedback with our Security team. We do take our responsibility for the inconveniences it caused and I would like to offer my sincere apologies for this inconveniences.
Despite your experience, I hope you will consider staying with us again on your next visit to Amsterdam to show the values we truly stand for.

Willemstad, Curacao
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Very nice Hotel. Just right on the airport. The rooms are very quite, surprisingly, really you don't hear any plane! Nice view over the Airport. Very large rooms and very big beds and rooms. I only had breakfast there and the breakfast is very good. Good service by personnel.

Room Tip: If you are a SPG member show your card for special rooms or book the Club rooms.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
KurtRenold, General Manager at Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Shazany,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent trip to Amsterdam. It is rewarding to receive compliments from our guests. I am glad to read that you enjoyed our location, soundproof, large with, good view rooms and good breakfast. My team will be glad to hear that they provided good service to you. We hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon at Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel.

Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Overnighted at the hotel on a recent trip. Modern, clean, quiet, comfortable. Friendly staff. Good wi-fi. Reasonably good (although of course rather pricey) restaurant. Just a short walk from/to the terminal. A nice airport hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear sazeracker,

Thank you for choosing Sheraton Amsterdam Airport hotel for your recent stay. It is my pleasure to read that you enjoyed our location, friendly staff, good Wi-Fi. Furthermore thank you for your comment regarding the restaurant. Please be informed I will definitely share your compliments with my team. Until we see you again wishing you a all the best.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Very busy hotel as it is bang in the airport (literally) and in WTC which is at airport as well. Hence convenient for conferences and crew. Great train connectivity from airport. But otherwise an avg hotel. Service very slow, food just about ok. Breakfast is hit and miss.
(Ordered omelette today and was told they don't have onions!)

Room size is good enough, but no tea/coffee making in room and empty fridge!! You can purchase stuff from vending machine near lifts ( reminds you of dorms).

Staff pushes to smile hard, but basically does care much. They don't have to with hotel always running busy. Service at runaway cafe and voyager restaurant is absolutely pathetic. So slow, you can have a nap!

I have stayed at this hotel over 10 times now and only reason i still use it because of its location.

So use it if you have to stay at the airport.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
KurtRenold, General Manager at Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Rusty78,

Thank for your feedback and for taking the time to provide us with your thoughts on how you experienced your stay here at our hotel. I am glad that you found the hotel convenient due to its location and the public transport facilities nearby. Thank you for your feedback we value all guest comments and constructive feedback helps us to continually improve upon our services and facilities. Thank you for your loyalty and should you return to Amsterdam in the near future we hope to have the opportunity to regain your confidence in our services.

Kurt Renold
Also consider these accommodations in or near Schiphol
Hilton Amsterdam Airport Schiphol
citizenM Schiphol Airport
Hyatt Place Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
Hotel Ibis Schiphol Amsterdam Airport
Ibis Budget Amsterdam Airport
NH Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

Been to Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!