“Do It Their Way….”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Chesterfield, NJ
“Do It Their Way….”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Not an easy airport hotel experience. Most importantly, if you have an early flight you are out of luck with their free shuttle that does not start to operate until 6am. Not particularly useful for an airport hotel that serves many international travelers. However, I was assured by the front desk that I could get a taxi in the morning for ONLY 24 Euros including tip!! When I arrived at the hotel the front desk staff was pretty prissy. I had to swipe my credit card for 50 Euros for incidentals although I arrived at 8:45 pm and was leaving before 5am. When I pointed out that I had a prepaid reservation and didn't think this was necessary I was told that that it was required and I would need to pay taxes anyway for 4 Euros. A bit of a surprise. I was assured that they were booking a taxi for me and that if I placed my email address on the form provided I would not have to check out and a receipt would be sent to me. When I came down in the morning it was like I had moved to a different hotel. I had to check out but there were no charges. They had never heard of a tax being added on a prepaid reservation. When I asked if the receipt would be emailed to me the front desk staff first assured me that there would not be any receipt available because it was pre-paid. When I asked for one anyway, since I was sure they could print one for me, I was told that this "was not possible". I checked if they had my email, which they did not. I asked if I gave them my email, as I had already done the night before, would I get a receipt. "No sir, that is not possible". After giving up on that request I asked about my taxi and was asked in return for my taxi reservation card. This was something that I had not seen nor was it mentioned to me the night before. So no reservation?!?. At this point I asked for the manager, who simply confirmed all the facts presented above and offered no explanation for the "performance" by the front desk from the night before. When I asked about the taxi it was suggested I just "jump in" with the man who had also just checked out. I pointed out that this other customer had made clear that it was his taxi out front, when I asked about mine, and had not offered to share. After some back and forth by the manager via walkie-talkie he told me that there would be a taxi soon. It arrived 5 minutes late. Did it really need to be this difficult for me to leave this hotel at 4am in the morning! The room was fine and clean although the a/c controls did not work and neither did the phone line for wake up calls. In the morning I thought I would turn on the TV while getting dressed. Before you could start watching anything you had to sit through a 3 minute safety presentation in Dutch and then repeated in English without any obvious way of bypassing to watch TV. I just gave up and turned off the TV and thought it sort of summed up my entire experience with this hotel. Airport hotels should be simple, helpful and geared to the traveler, unfortunately this really was not an option at this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Weism

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Wonderful, efficient staff gave ius a warm welcome. Clean, spacious rooms which have everything you need. Fabulous sauna and bars. Top marks!! Perfect if you need a good hotel close to the airport. I can definately recommend the Steigenburger.

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank VictoriaY3
AMS_Steigenberger, Deputy General Manager at Steigenberger Airport Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear Ms. Victoria,

I would like to thank you for providing us with feedback with regards to your recent stay at Steigenberger Airport Hotel Amsterdam. This is highly appreciated by all of us and I will make sure your positive words are shared with all involved departments.

It has been our pleasure to have you as one of our guests and I certainly look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 4 nights and I feel there could be some improvements. The lightening in the room is quite low and it becomes a bit challenging to work. There could be a more variety in food at the restaurants.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Mr. Maneesh,

I would sincerely like to thank you for providing us with feedback with regards to your recent stay at Steigenberger Airport Hotel Amsterdam. With this information we are able to further improve our services.

It has been our pleasure to welcome you and I certainly look forward to welcome you again in the future.

Seattle, WA USA
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

If you arrive by train or plane when the shuttle isn't running, you will have to take a cab. This will run you about 25-30 euros from Centraal Station or from the airport. Even thought it is close to the airport, the airport is so huge that it is quite a drive around to get to the hotel.
Hotel is modern and great with nice, big rooms and great service.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank mzkatt
Dear guest,

Herewith I would like to thank you for taking some of your valuable time to provide us with feedback. This is highly appreciated by all of us as with this information we are able to further improve our services. I will take your comment with regards to the shuttle times into consideration to see if any changes can be made.

Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Close too the airport with frequent shuttle services. The staff is friendly and rooms are well equipped. If you have to stay close to the airport this is "the hotel" for you.

However if your intention is to see the Amsterdam downtown i would not recommend it. 10 mins shuttle ride to the airport. and then the train (one way 7 euros) to downtown for 15 mins,say it is roughly half an hour ride to the downtown. It is quite a long time for a city that can be walked all over in half a day. Besides, you will always feel the pressure of catching the last train (and the shuttle) if you are going out for the night

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Onur U
AMS_Steigenberger, Deputy General Manager at Steigenberger Airport Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Dear guest,

I would sincerely like to thank you for taking some of your time to provide us with feedback with regards to your stay at Steigenberger Airport Hotel Amsterdam. This is highly appreciated as with this information we are able to further improve our services.

I certainly look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Center Harbor, New Hampshire
Reviewed 1 November 2013

My wife and I spent the night of Oct 25 at this property. It is located on the opposite side of the airfield from the terminal and takes about 12-15 minutes by hotel shuttle to get there. Rooms are small by US standards but comfortable and well-equipped. Our only problem was a very hot bathroom caused by a heater behind the mirror. We ate in the sports bar (a little noisy but acceptable) where the menu is typical pub food. Breakfast, however, is a lavish buffet with a myriad of choices. Very good! Only issue we have is the confusion caused by them taking our credit card info and posting a charge, which we signed for, at the time we checked in; then we were asked for our credit card again with another charge posted when we checked out. They said we wouldn't be double-billed. We'll see.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Herewith I would like to thank you for taking some of your time to provide us with feedback with regards to your recent stay at Steigenberger Airport Hotel Amsterdam. Your feedback is highly appreciated and will be shared with all involved departments.

It has been our pleasure to have you as one of our guests and I look forward to welcome you again in the future.

Montrose, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2013

we were very disappointed.
after checking all the amazing reviews on trip Advisor, we decided to stay in this hotel for our short visit in Amsterdam (as it's spa facility gets a lot of good reviews)
we booked and fully paid online well in advance, and expecting to having a relaxed weekend filled with some spas and romantic dinners, but after arriving this Hotel, we were told that our room is not available and we have to stay in a different hotel!!!
All our plans are destroyed!!!
When we asked if the alternative hotel got a spa, the staff assured us that it had the same facility, but that was not the case: by the time we arrived to that alternative accommodation, the spa was closed, and won't operating during the time of our stay.

what's the point for doing a lot of research on Trip Advisor, and in the end get shoveled to somewhere else???

AVOID at all cost!!!!!

Room Tip: To stay in this hotel is like to win a lottery, your pay doesn't guarantee your stay.