“Hotel / Construction Site”

Road Lodge Airport Cape Town
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Goodwood
Pretoria
“Hotel / Construction Site”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

You can't charge R 520.00 per night per room to stay on a construction site. The entire establishment reeks of paint and chemicals. Overall impression is complete shambles and filthy. In my opinion the management of Road Lodge should be ashamed of this blatant robbery. Furthermore the staff had no idea how to deal with the issue on hand and was obviously not informed how to deal with queries and complaints in this regard. I made my dismay with the situation very clear when I looked down the hall way where is was booked in. My room allocation was changed but the smell is lingering in the entire building. The room was well presented but it doesn't change the first impression when you walk down the hall way and up the stairs.

Room Tip: The Road lodge should inform customers if they are busy with renovations when you make a booking. D...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Maritza O
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at Road Lodge Airport Cape Town, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Our apologies for the inconvenience caused by the refurbishment of our hotel - there is a notice in the hotel's reception about the refurbishment taking place at this hotel from September to December 2013, there is also a notice on our website under "hotel refurbishments.. Sorry once again for the inconvenience.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 11 September 2013

One does not have high expectations of a Road Lodge at an airport. That said, it met its requirements but failed in a most crucial aspect. I had booked in an 82 year old prior to her flight. I had received a confirmation for a disabled room. I personally went in again to confirm the booking, but when she arrived they couldn't find the booking notwithstanding been given a booking reference number. A room was found, but this senior citizen could not shower as the shower was not suited as it lacked the basic disability support bars.
Road lodge & City Group--a poor show. Shame on you!
For senior citizen travellers-please be warned that you cannot rely on their booking system

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Goodwood hotels

Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Reviewed 2 September 2013

When you need to overnight in Cape Town before catching an early morning flight out the next day the Road Lodge at the airport is the ideal place to stay !!
It is reasonably priced, the rooms are clean and functional although small , ie there is a comfortable bed , good hot shower, TV, cupboard, writing desk and telephone and the best part is that the terminal building and car hire returns are just a 100m or so away from you .
In addition they serve a more than adequate breakfast from 7am -10 am at
only R 65 per person .
Being at the bottom of the scale in the “ City Lodge “ group of hotels one did “ expect the worst “ but the above shows that even this 1 star hotel can surprise you and IT DID !!!!.
The room IS small, but as stated, for 1 night there is everything that you require and the convenience cannot be beaten .
Well done to the Road Lodge !! We look forward to visiting again .

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank billdelange
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at Road Lodge Airport Cape Town, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Thanks so much for your kind review - we hope to see you again soon.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 July 2013

The rooms are fine, though not as nice as they appear in photos. It's a short walk to the car rentals, but if you arrive at night, you should probably take an overpriced taxi the three minutes away. (R150=$15). Breakfast was surprisingly good, with a free paper and muffin take away. There weren't any shampoo and conditioner bottles in the room, but the staff had a shampoo packet (but not conditioner) at tge front desk.

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank CEMcCarthy
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 11 June 2013

The is a very basic hotel and we expected that. Everything was up to our expectations. Our room was small and rather dated but clean. If you're taking an early flight, this is probably the only hotel close to the airport. Otherwise, try to stay somewhere else.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Anton K
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at Road Lodge Airport Cape Town, responded to this review, 14 June 2013
Thank you for your review of our hotel - glad you liked the convenience.
W Yorkshire
Reviewed 19 May 2013

I arrived late at the airport and my customer unfortunately decided to book me in here.

Book was fair, but the room was just grim really. The bathroom suit would look good in an episode of George and Midred, but not to my taste.

The breakfast was probably the best redeaming part of the whole stay, not great or anything. But at least edible.

I assume it was cheap hence my client booked me in there, and the location would be excellent if you had an early flight. But I wouldn't stay there again,

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at Road Lodge Airport Cape Town, responded to this review, 21 May 2013
Thank you for your review - we are a budget hotel so we do not offer the space, features and facilities of the other brands in our group - but we do believe that we offer excellent value for money.
Cape Town
Reviewed 13 May 2013

The hotel smells terrible. When I got there my booking had not been received. I asked for a higher level but got a floor room. When I was taken to my room the entire floor smelt of dirty sweat and the room I was given was the worst. I discovered it was the cleaner on the floor and she was following me all over...arghhhh I still cringe at the smell.
I complained and was moved to another room. Did not smell as bad as I tried to keep this woman out of it!! Getting back from a walk later... (Keeping in mind this is a non-smoking room) I wanted to lie down for a bit... the bedding smelt of old smoke and the spread they have over the bed had not been cleaned in many a year!! I am having the most awful time of it as I cannot go anywhere!!!! The gentleman at the dest was nice enough when I called but did not offer any surface spray or call anyone to come and help a bit... WHAT A DISGUSTING EXCUSE FOR A HOTEL!!! THIS PLACE NEEDS TO BE CLEANED BY CLEAN PEOPLE!!!!!

Room Tip: There are no higher rooms
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank moonlioness
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at Road Lodge Airport Cape Town, responded to this review, 15 May 2013
Thank you for staying at our hotel - we are sorry to hear that you had a bad experience - we will certainly look into your complaints.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Goodwood
Road Lodge Cape Town N1 City
Hotel Verde Cape Town International Airport
City Lodge Hotel GrandWest
The New National - Lodge & Conference
Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Tyger Valley
Town Lodge Bellville The Lodge Hotel

Been to Road Lodge Airport Cape Town? Share your experiences!