“Relaxing”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Weir Hotel

The Weir Hotel
“Relaxing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

We had been out for the day in Windsor and on the way home decided to stop by the Weir where we have been many times before. We were not disappointed and had a relaxing drink by the river. After a walk we returned and had a delicious evening meal. staff helpful and polite.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Walton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2013

My friends and I had started using this pub as a regular spot for an evening drink on a Monday after swimming.
Last Monday we were enjoying a drink and snacks, the room was warm and stuffy so we opened a patio door for some air.
After a while a man came outnofnthe kitchen and closed the door and walked off!!!
This man later turned out to be the manager and when we reopened the door we were told 'he could shut the door as it was his pub and he paid the bills!!!!!'
He then continued to be rude and had to be calmed down by his partner.
Not a place we are in a hurry to return too.
However the rest of the staff have always been pleasant and helpful and I would rate them highly.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Anon504207

Travellers are raving about these Walton-On-Thames hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

Great location, which serves the best Sunday roast you can get in any pub. A place you must try. The Sunday roast is slightly more expensive than you would pay in some other pubs. However, well worth the money as the food is fresh and very tasty. It's best visited on a sunny day, so you can sit outside and enjoy the view.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2013

The Weir is a pub / restaurant that is also a hotel/BB.

The pub is situated literally right next to the towpath and so as you sit there, you can watch the various boats heading up and down the River Thames, which was great for the kids and kept them occupied.

As it was Bank Holiday Monday the place was heaving, not much room at all outside. It was sunny so everyone and his Mother wanted to get some long overdue sun. Buying a drink or ordering food was a bit of a nightmare, the bar looked like Luton Airport just before Easy Jet and Ryan Air open the Check In desks, it was that busy. Its a shame that separate lines for "drinks only" and maybe people that wanted both food and drinks, were not better separated or even customers made aware that this was being done. On a quiet winters day I can understand that this would not be an issue, but on a sunny Bank Holiday.....????

To try and alleviate some of the delay in ordering a "Hog Roast" was being done outside. £5.50 for a pork sandwich, some cole slaw and potato salad, I guess wasn't bad, although there is no way that I would say that it was a large sandwich. We ordered two of these and also a few things from the menu. Admittedly we were "warned" that it would take time for our order to be served, but 1:45 hours after we ordered, even left us wondering what could have taken so long to fry a few Plaice Goujons and some chips?

A separate drinks "Tent" had also been put up in the garden but as far as I could see, that was primarily for the various real ales that the pub serves.

As a few people have already mentioned, prices are a bit on the high side for pub grub. £6.50 for a baked potato and £9-£10 for a burger did make us wonder a bit. On the other hand, I can't emphasize what a lovely place this is to come and sit outside and watch the world go buy on the river. A live blues band added to the great atmosphere.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Rinkydinkpinkpanther
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2013 via mobile

Stopped off for a pint was greeted by an obnoxious landlord who's first words we are all full up go away. After we explained we only wanted a drink not food we were ushered to a table and were told it was free until one.

As there was spilt drink on the table my wife used a paper napkin to wipe the table .mr obnoxious grabbed the box of cutlery and napkins and told my wife off as these were for the the next customers. Defiantly should not be in the pub trade or anything to do with customers.

• Stayed April 2013
4 Thank Grumpygreen1
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2013

Great location on the Thames with plenty of outside seating. The mature barman who seems to be permanently there is consistently polite and chirpy.
The food from the menu is tasty but a tad overpriced (for example the Jacket Potatoes are £6.50). The mochaccino coffee myself and boyfriend both opted for after our meal was very nice, nicer than those served in the high street coffee shops !
Dogs are allowed inside on a lead and there was plenty of them on a mid week evening!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2013

What a find!
I was on a course nearby and decided for the first night to stay at The Weir. On arrival I was shown to my room - Room 1 - WOW! Spacious with a view of the river - perfect and exceeded expectations by miles.
After a very stressful day I decided to stay one more night......but the service, accommodation and food was so good I stayed for 4 nights rather than contend with the M25 each day.
The staff were so friendly and as a woman on my own they made me feel safe and comfortable. Particularly Jim, Lisa, Zoe and wonderful Lorraine who cooked an amazing breakfast and nurtured me every morning. Matt the hands on owner was very informative about his pub and their burgers are to die for. In fact all the food was fantastic - so ignore any reviews that say otherwise.
I am just so pleased that I stayed the whole duration of my course and am only sorry that I did not have time to explore and enjoy the area. My aim is to return and venture up the tow path to Hampton Palace.
Im almost sad to be home - I was looked after so well.

Room Tip: Room 1, 2 and 6 apparently. But MY room - was just amazing