“Oh Dear Marco”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 April 2013

We are regular visitors to this resturant.

However, on a recent visit it was extremely cold inside. we and other diners asked if we could have the heating on but Marco appeared to not be listening. Although our meal was really nice it was spoilt by the artic conditions all radiators were cold and no other means of heating was used which spoilt the whole evening. I undersatnd that times are really hard for resturants etc but treating customers like this will not have them banging on the door to get in.

1  Thank Infraco

Reviewed 6 January 2013

We are lucky enough to be able to walk to this lovely Italian restaurant. Marco takes pride in his restaurant, which is how real family businesses should be run and knocks spots off all these chain restaurants locally which in fact Walton has loads of and none of them any good!
I enjoyed my starter and main course of goats cheese salad and gnocchi and my husband had a really tender steak.
Marco recommended a lovely bottle of red wine to us which was a fantastic choice.
Atmosphere relaxed and typically Italian. Keep up the good work Marco, we will definitely be back.

Reviewed 18 November 2012

The usual italian menu but with a giant welcome. We always have a lovely evening here. Pasta etc is good, I am not a fan of meat dishes in Italian restaurants with the usual bowl of veg and saute potatoes but the pasta and fish here is always good.

Reviewed 19 July 2012

We found this place by accident and we were delighted with our meal. The restaurant is beautifully decorated - muted pastel colours with ceiling lighting and lots of large pot plants. It has a view of a garden out the back.The menu has starters - hot and cold -, pasta, meat and fish dishes (no pizza) plus daily specials and a special 2 course lunch and evening menu. My veal was probably the best I have eaten and the swordfish had a lovely sauce. We both had zabaglione for dessert - delicious and obviously made to order as it was warm. We will be back!

Reviewed 18 February 2012

You can't fault the gentleman who welcomes you, he is a gem. But come here hoping for a suburban taste of London and you might leave disappointed. I admit, I'm spoilt, my extended family is Italian so I know my way round a plate of Saltimbocca. But this is basically, 'not bad' food and 'not too dear food' that you could do yourself any day of the week.

Likes: The owner.

Dislikes: Being elbowed in the face by the young waitress repeatedly while she was serving (banging plates down on the table more accurately) across me to someone else sitting next to me. It was like the best sitcom - How we all laughed.
Having my request for Tartare Sauce treated as if it was some special privilege - It was on the menu with the Calamari. You just forgot to put it on the plate - Please don't roll your eyes at me when I ask for it.
If I order a dessert, then would it be too much trouble to serve me it - I waited for so long that by the time I could take no more and was about to ask for it, everyone else had finished their sweet and I just didn't bother. I hope it wasn't included on the bill, I couldn't ask because I was a guest.
Salad from a bag - Obviously. We've all seen the Bistro mixes at Sainsburys.

Which is not to say I didn't have a pleasant evening with my family. But the place lacks polish and atmosphere. I probably ordered badly - But since when was the menu supposed to be a bingo card?

Sorry, and I don't like to talk places down unnecessarily and aim for constructive criticism always, but this is one of those restaurants that needs The Hotel Inspector to go round and sort it out, as it has so much promise and the owner Marco is such a nice guy. I would like to see it do a lot better - It shouldn't have so many empty tables on a Saturday night. There's very little local competition. Probably why you won't find a better Italian restaurant locally as it happens.

Oh here's a tip: In restaurants, it is incredibly nice if once or twice in a two hour meal, someone actually comes to a very large table and asks if there is anything we would like. Customers don't really want to be doing that 'catching the eye' all the time - It makes us feel like we are intruding on you.

But Marco the owner is a star. Again.

Bon appetito!