“Welcoming”
Review of Harris and Hoole - CLOSED

Harris and Hoole
Reviewed 30 May 2013

I went in late in the afternoon having peered through the darkened windows out of curiosity. There were only a couple of other customers so I did not experience the crowding that others have mentioned. I was made to feel very welcome by the friendly chatty staff, and a good pot of tea was promptly delivered along with instructions on using the 'egg-timer' device to control the strength of the brew.

My bubble was burst a little on finding out that it's owned by Tesco, as I was hoping that I'd found an independent, but I look forward to going back, maybe for a snack, thanks to the pleasant ambience engendered by the staff.

No loud music, definitely a bonus, but I'd have preferred to have listened to just music rather than local radio.

Reviewed 13 May 2013

i went to harris and hoole on sat after being there on 2 ocations previousely and being dissapointed deciding to give it another go it was not so busy having waited 20 mins for a chesse and tomato crossiant iasked about it was told it would be with me in a minute 15 mins later i asked again was told it will be 1 min 10 mins later i was told that they had thrown away all crossiants as it was now lunch time,,dont think i will go back , a shame as it looks a nice stylish place much needed in walton , oh well

Reviewed 21 April 2013

First and most importantly, the coffee here is fantastic. Not only does the quality of the coffee seem superior by leagues to other coffee houses but the baristas are all incredibly talented.

There is plenty of room and thus it is a really family friendly place. The staff are upbeat but not to the point of seeming false and irritating but like you are being flirted with regardless of gender.

Harris and Hoole also features a reward card scheme that is move giving than any other.

Reviewed 25 March 2013

This is a great local cafe which serves delicious food & coffee. My biggest bugbear is that it is full of mum's and their prams and often makes it impossible for those of us without children to enjoy a quiet coffee or a bite to eat. I don't begrudge them being there only that they take up the whole of the cafe & often they sit there without either drinkng or eating :(

1  Thank TrudyJHWilson
Reviewed 15 March 2013 via mobile

Was excited to see a new independent coffee shop in Walton on Thames - but was quite disappointed when ordered a medium soya one shot cappuccino ( which is actually the same size as a small size at any other coffee chain) costing a whopping£2.90 (as opposed to £2.20-40 at major competitors. Just checked price in case an error but no £2.60 for medium and 30p on top for soya milk!!? When I asked if would take off this extra as I was only having one shot of coffee and as standard comes with 2 shots - barrister advised he couldn't do anything about that and just shoved a buzzer in my hand that was going to buzz when coffee ready. There was no queue so it buzzed in about 5 minutes but when I got there only one of my two coffees ordered was ready!! What a waste of time during my lunch break! Whoever is pressing the buzzers is out of sync!
The coffee tasted good - shame about the over pricing, lack of personal service and shoddy excuses for putting extra costs on top! Definitely not an independent in attitude or spirit (as partly owned by Tesco). A cappuccino should be enjoyed and savoured not leave the customer with a bitter after taste of being ripped off. Shame as decor and finish really comfortable and inviting sadly staff and offering was not.