“Walking in Dovedale”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ilam
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Walking in Dovedale”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This hotel has been re-furbished and re-opened only 6 weeks ago by an excellent team of hard working and friendly staff. It is hard to mention them all by name but led by Shura who works hard to please all who stay. They are surely going to build up a large following of satisfied regulars. We stayed in a pleasant room with large double bed overlooking the garden and fields.The food is excellent and well presented and hopefully a larger 'a la carte' will be available soon with a wider " selection of cheese"!! .The walking and views directly form the hotel make this a place to return to often. We will soon!

Room Tip: All rooms at front and side have nice views
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
James K, Owner at The Izaak Walton Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thank you for your lovely comments about the hotel, Shura and our team. It has been a hectic 6 weeks and it is good to know that we are getting most things right but we know there is always room for improvement! A new A La carte is being launched next week and I will pass on your comments to the chef about a slightly wider choice of dishes and cheese. We hope to see you again soon and thank you for taking the time to review us. best wishes, James

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
Redhill, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Very disappointing visit to the Dovedale bar you cannot fault the surroundings which are very pleasant and we enjoyed a drink before ordering our meal while reading the leaflet on the Hotel with a view to a future visit as we were staying locally. I had a burger which was on a plain bun with chips and relish - ten pounds 'ish' if my memory serves me correctly and my partner had the curry which was okay but we mentioned the onion baji wasn't cooked so obviously inedible. Our man behind the bar said he would 'tell the chef', we waited I paid the bill and we left! Customer care and service lacking and having read the other reviews before I penned this I am surprised we didn't at the very least get some sort of response from the 'chef' the word chef it seems can be much abused!

3 Thank DaveDSW
Dear Sir, I am sorry that you have not had a satisfactorily visit to the Dovedale bar. We endeavour to exceed guest expectations in all areas and I am sorry that on this occasion we got it wrong. I have spoken to the bar staff and duty Manager who have been re-briefed that any complaints over the quality of food served are immediately brought to the attention of the duty manager and chef so that the matter can be rectified at the time of service. Please be assured that we are striving for excellence in food quality and customer satisfaction and I hope that you will consider us again when you next visit the area to show you that we can get it right. Thank you for taking the time to review us. regards James Keay
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We have just returned from a two night stay at the Izaak Walton, where we were splendidly looked after by James and the staff. Although our room, which had beautiful views, was over the Haddon Restaurant, where another function was being held, resulting in our first night being less tranquil than we have come to expect at the Izaac, James' personal attention in addressing the issues we raised made sure that the rest of our stay was perfect, with the hotel's peaceful ambience restored on our second night. The food is superb and well served, in a relaxed but quietly ordered atmosphere and each and everyone of the truly friendlystaff go out of their way to ensure guests are comfortable. During the last 20 years we have celebrated our special occasions at the Izaac and are so pleased that James and Andrew are breathing new life into our favourite country house hotel. We look forward to our next stay with you all!

Room Tip: rooms to the back are quieter.
1 Thank Kathryn B
James K, Owner at The Izaak Walton Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Good afternoon, thank you for taking the time to review us and for your lovely comments about how we have rejuvenated the Izaak Walton. I am sorry that the birthday function on the Friday spoilt the usual tranquility but we will work hard to ensure we address this when holding future functions.We look forward to welcoming you back again sometime soon. Best wishes, James and all the IW team
Leicestershire
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I wanted to go away to celebrate an anniversary, having left it rather late, I chose The Izaak Walton Hotel , it has recently changed hands and re-opened. I am always weary or cautious about recent reviews where they are all glowing, but, in this case the praise is well deserved.
Our arrival was greeted by very friendly staff and they had managed to get the 4 poster bed that I had asked for. The rooms are fine, I believe they are being renovated and I understand that Rome was not built on a day. The room was clean, tidy and had a good selection of tea/coffee etc. We managed to get internet on the room and considering the location of the hotel 1meg speed was impressive, no mobile signal, which on a way enhanced our stay.
We dined in the bar the first evening and when we went down the bar was full and it was explained that they were hosting a part for someone who was 90. This is where the The Izaak Walton Hotel staff go beyond the call. Yes it was busy, we had a drink and Sam a member of staff, more later, said that he was sorry for the delay, but the last orders were at 9:30, plenty of time, he then said that they would make sure that we were fed, even after 9:30PM perfect. Not many staff or hotels would do that.
The food came and it was great, my burger was about the best I have ever had, it actually tasted of beef, the double fried chips were something else, good is such a small word. The onion rings, fresh made and cooked. The Baked Somerset Brie, Chutney & Garlic Ciabatta was also good. Sam was very attentive and made the evening special.
In the morning we went down stairs to have breakfast, again, well prepared and the locally produced leek and port sausages, well I enjoyed each and every mouthful, slight criticism, I could have easily eaten two or more.
We spend the day out and came back in the evening, we again decided to eat in the Dovedale Bar, this time I had the fish and chips, the batter was thin, crispy and perfectly fried, again those chips, yes, each and every one was a delight.
My partner had the Traditional Ploughman’s, with locally made pork pie, assorted cheese, chutney & Fruit, pickled Onion & Bread, when we enquired about the cheese, Sam, knew the answer and we thoroughly enjoyed the meal.
The hotel is good, the staff and Sam are brilliant and the views to die for.

Well done, we may well pop in soon..

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
James K, Owner at The Izaak Walton Hotel, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thank you for you taking the time to tell us how much you enjoyed your stay at the Izaak Walton. I I have passed on your kind words to Sam and the rest of the team who are delighted with the feedback. Our chef prides himself on home made cuisine with locally sourced ingredients. Your comments about how much you enjoyed the food is very much appreciated. We hope to welcome you back soon and next time please do ask for more sausages! You are welcome to eat as many as you like ! Best wishes, James and the IW team.
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Location great, service great, special mention for Laurence he did us proud.
A box of tissues in the room would have been helpful.
On the final night we dined in the bar, and I must say the curry was brilliant, and also my wife's salad worthy of praise
We will return!!
Ted & Betty Spence

Room Tip: Request a room looking towards Thorpe Cloud
2 Thank Edward S
James K, Owner at The Izaak Walton Hotel, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Good Morning Mr & Mrs Spence. We are delighted that you had a great stay with us and that you enjoyed the curry and salad whilst dining in the bar. Sorry about the tissues. We've had these on back order but they arrived yesterday with some nice Chrome presentation boxes to sit in so they will look very smart in the room! Look forward to welcoming you back. Best wishes, James
oxon
Reviewed 16 July 2014

What can I say, this 3 night stay of dinner bed and breakfast was excellent , the staff were all really welcoming and friendly, Sam the bar man was really committed to his role and Shura was top notch even down to a friendly gift of Pontefract cakes for my journey home (thank you).
Andy and James are our heros for rescuing this old hotel and getting it back to its former glory, we first stayed at the hotel in 1975 for our honeymoon and are already planning our 40th anniversary bash there but in the mean time have booked a long weekend later in the year. Excellent food, excellent service , all with a friendly smile. We can not rate this high enough, 100% a BIG thank you. J and B , Oxfordshire

1 Thank cruisingfred
James K, Owner at The Izaak Walton Hotel, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Good afternoon. Thank you for taking the time to review us and for your lovely comments about our friendly team. I will also pass on your thanks to Sam the barman and Shura for the Pontefract cakes! We are delighted that you have rebooked to stay later in the year and that you are considering booking your 40th wedding anniversary party in 2015! If I can help in anyway please let me know. Thank you again! James
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Booked this last minute for a brief overnight in the Peak District, and was blown away by everything.
The location is ideal for both serious and non-serious walkers, with stunning views from the hotel gardens and restaurant.
The staff were very attentive and couldn't do enough for you and the food in the restaurant was first class
Cannot recommend this hotel highly enough and will definitely be returning

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
James K, Owner at The Izaak Walton Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear Jeff, I am delighted that you had such a wonderful stay. Our setting is very unique and the view from the restaurant one that we very much appreciate every day. It is always very pleasing to hear that our staff are friendly and attentive which I will of course pass on. We look forward to welcoming you back when you are next visiting the Peak District. Many thanks again for taking the time to review us. Your feedback is very much appreciated. regards, James
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ilam
Bagshaw Hall
George Hotel
George Hotel
#1 of 2 in Hathersage
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel

Been to The Izaak Walton Hotel? Share your experiences!