“Ask questions”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Duval Point Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Port Hardy
Duval Point Lodge
Seattle, Washington
“Ask questions”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

I went to Duval Lodger for four years in a row. The last time they stuck an angry guy and his nearly senile father in with us. We were in one of the large land based cabins with my family. I had two teenage girls in our group and now I got two men I don't know from Adam.

The two yoyo's expected me to feed them, which I did the first day. I cut them off when it became obvious I was suppose to feed them. They brought a broken down boat full of misc junk, two boat motors that did not run. The coast guard made them unload some of the stuff at P Hardy, and Point Duval towed them out to share the cabin with us.

Realize they never tell you that you may have to share a cabin with strangers. I never went back and would not in the future over the deception. There are other places to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank IdaDave

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Salem, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

This is a family run business who provide excellent service and expert advice on where to fish, and what techniques to use. This resort is for fishermen.They provide aluminum boats with down riggers and a 30 hp Yamaha engine. Very seaworthy. I brought my own 17 foot boat and fishing gear. But they have plenty of gear that can be used, and they sell bait and fishing rigs. David (the co-owner) has a great rig for salmon fishing that is very effective. There are both land based and floating living units. Moorage is in a secluded bay, located at a prime fishing ground for Chinook and Silver salmon. There is a resident seal in the bay. Also many bald eagles, and on one day, a sea otter. We watched a black bear walk the nearby beach at low tide looking for crabs and clams. Rooms are comfortable, with a large kitchen equipped with stove, a common living room area, oven, refrigerators, bathroom with shower and flush toilets. No TVs or cell phone coverage--this is a remote area designed for people who love to fish for salmon, halibut, ling cod and rock fish.

We prepared our own meals, and there is a propane grill outside to cook steaks and fresh caught fish. Lisa, the co-owner, prepared a hot loaf of bread for us on one day.

I had an equipment failure late in our week of fishing, and Jessica, the youngest daughter of the owners, towed us in. At which time David helped me do some trouble shooting and figured out my battery had drained out. Replacement battery in and we were back in business. He came out looking for us the next day as we were out late and was worried about us. Turns out we were out on the water late because there was a great bite on, my son caught two Kings inside of 30 minutes, and I lost one right at the boat that would have weighed at least 25 pounds.

We got into fast and furious action with big schools of silvers (coho) and pinks. It was easy to duck into Duval Bay for lunch or a break, and then get back on the water for more fishing. Beautiful setting, friendly and helpful hosts, we had a great time.

Its a long drive from Oregon (16 hours) that includes a ferry boat trip to the island. But the road to the Campbell River is 4 lane, and after that, and excellent 2 lane paved highway takes you to Hardy Bay. There is also a small airport near Hardy Bay.

My rating is based on my fishing camp experience in Alaska and elsewhere--you wouldn't expect a Hilton Resort type accommodations in such a location, would you? If that is what you want, go someplace else and pay thousands more, where you will be provided gourmet meals and guides on every boat. I prefer to do things more on my own, and spend quality time with family and friends, and don't mind preparing my own meals. That way, if we want to start fishing at 0 dark thirty, we can, and if the bite is own, we can fish late--did I mention that this resort is for people who love to fish?

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Sherwood park
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

We went to Duval point Lodge (near Port Hardy) for some early fishing. My nephew could get some time off early before construction season. We knew it was very early, and the lodge is not normally open. Dave the owner and Family made every effort to accommodate us and we enjoyed the time there greatly. Fishing was very tough while there. but overall our experience was great. Would we go back again ---yes and we will try and make it back later this summer.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
#2 of 15 in Port Hardy
Escape B&B
Escape B&B
#1 of 16 in Port Hardy

Been to Duval Point Lodge? Share your experiences!