Lovely historic buidling stading proud on a hill...quite the sight. And what a view! It just can't be beat. It's a busy place, obviously popular..has a very warm feel with all the people coming in and out, enjoying the views and the bar and restaurant.
We scored a super cool corner room so we had windows on two sides. While the view was amazing, the room....well, not so much. Drab and dated with old carpet, soiled in places, and furniture that belongs in a yard sale. But it was big enough for the two of us, and we liked that the sink was outside of the bathroom so one of us could be showering and the other using the sink and mirror without getting a steam bath too. Neat, old fashioned shower with plenty of hot water and decent water pressure. There is a shared balcony outside the room that runs the length of the buidling, so you must keep your curtains shut if you want privacy.
The big bummer about this place is that lack of insulation. You can hear EVEYTHING in your room. We had a terrible time sleeping because of the noise of footsteps overhead (and creaking floorboards), suitcases being rolled down the hall, people out on the balcony, etc. The buidling also creaks and moans with the wind. So if you are a light sleeper and you covet a good night's sleep, maybe this is not the place for you.
We ate in the bar and the restaurant, both of which were not fabulous, but certainly decent and reasonably priced considering the location. Nice service in both. Front desk staff was also courteous and welcoming.
Overall I liked this place because it was historic and memorable. I can live without the sleep. With some updates to the rooms, it could be truly spectacular.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built in 1927, the Prince of Wales Hotel is located on the bluff overlooking picturesque Waterton Lakes and the township of Waterton, Alberta Canada. This stately hotel, named after Prince Edward, offers 86 guest rooms and a traditional British atmosphere complete with Afternoon Tea, the Royal Stewart Dining Room, Windsor Lounge, and the distinctive gift shop, Princess Gifts. The Prince of Wales Hotel is a smoke free, 7-story facility with designated outdoor smoking areas. Check-in time is after 3:00 p.m. and checkout time is 11:00 a.m. All rooms are accessed via stairs and are sold based on view or room size. An antique elevator is available for floors 2 through 4 and requires assistance to operate. There are no ADA-accessible rooms available at Prince of Wales Hotel. The self parking lot is located a short walk from the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Prince of Wales Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Prince Of Wales
- Prince Wales Hotel Waterton
- Prince Of Wales Hotel Waterton Lakes National Park, Canada - Alberta