“50th Birthday with my family.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bamfield
Pacific Gateway Wilderness Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bamfield
Vernon, Canada
“50th Birthday with my family.”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We spent 4 amazing days at the resort. From the time we arrived at the dock for pickup to drop off on departure day, we were totally impressed. The lodge had such a rustic warm feeling and Janet,Casey & Alli were fantastic hosts. The food was top notch, the staff was always friendly and the views were to die for! Rick our fishing guide knew where and when to hit all the hot spots, we got our limit every day!! (we even caught a 6ft shark!) which we quickly cut loose once he came to the surface. He has a wealth of information and knows the ocean like the back of his hand, it seemed everyone in Bamfeild knew who Rick was. We can't wait to go back again next year. If you're looking for a great fishing experience and mouthwatering food this is the place to go!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Angie G

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
St. Albert, Canada
Reviewed 27 July 2013

I've fished quite a bit in my life and have come back to Tyee for a number of reasons. This resort pays attention to its guests but make no mistake, the purpose of our stay is fishing. Fishing guides and resort staff come and go, but the philosophy of the owners Jeff and Janet comes through with each staff member. Great hospitality, service, equipment, and food. The chef Chris was excellent. He presented each dish with pride and catered his menu to the preferences of his guests. I found the guides to be distinctly different but each one provided a great deal of information and service with a safety first approach. You can look long and hard for a west coast fishing experience. We did. The end result is that Tyee is the very best fishing trip for its value!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bill S
nanaimo
Reviewed 1 September 2012

Three of us went for three days fishing and four nights. We’d recommend this in case the weather turns foul. We had a blast and enjoyed every minute. The fishing was fantastic, lots of action. The lodge was cosy and homely. All the staff were wonderful and couldn’t do enough for us, they made us feel at home the second we arrived. We had a very good buffet breakfast before setting out, a packed lunch to take out on the boat for the day, a hot pot or hearty soup on our return and a three course Chef’s speciality for dinner. The cuisine is excellent. The hot tub is a must.
Our fishing guide was very experienced, knew his stuff and the local waters, he went the extra mile. We were very confident in his abilities. The boat we went out in was custom built for the area, well maintained and very seaworthy.
All in all, a top notch fishing resort and an experience of a lifetime. We’re going back.

Room Tip: Just ask, there are various options
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank steve_bkb
Vancouver
Reviewed 10 July 2011

Just got back from a 3 night stay at the Tyee Lodge, travelling with a large group of 12. From our pickup on the dock, the service was top notch. The setting couldn't be better, with views of the ocean, islands, and mountain tops in the distance. There is a large deck where you can dine, relax, sit in a lounge chair or enjoy the hot tub while taking it all in. The food was top notch, the chef went out of his way to create great masterpieces each night. The fishing was also very good, with all 3 of our boats limiting out on spring salmon as well as some of us limiting out on halibut on the first day. No complaints at all and looking forward to coming back. This is fantastic value.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank VanTan
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 22 September 2010

We stayed for a week at the resort in their cottage and had a terrific time! The views were spectacular, especially from the hot tub, and the staff was super friendly. The only thing we ran into was that the place wasn't super clean (ie cobwebs) but we were there for a fishing trip in a cottage and frankly a couple cobwebs don't bother me at all! When we went to leave my son wanted to buy a t-shirt for a souvenier and they gave him 2 hats and a staff shirt, as I said fantastic people! Our fishing guide Rick was a rock star, got us to the fish and put up with a very green customer (me), We all got our fish and I just had 50 people over the other day to eat up my husbands Salmon...great feast. I highly recommend this place, the family and staff will make you feel right at home.
Todd & Niki Ganie and Family

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank NikiGanie
Vancouver
Reviewed 20 August 2010

I have been fishing the West coast of British Columbia for many years and have been fortunate to stay at top floating lodges in the Queen Charlotte Islands (Langara Island), Milbank Sound, Campbell River Etc. I choose my lodges based on referral and price for the most part is not a significant factor. I look for the best experience available. Tyee Lodge was referred to my by a close friend who has fished likely every high end lodge in mid to northern BC. I was taking my family (wife, boys 6 & 9) on their first ocean fishing trip and wanted it to be everything they would hope it to be. We couldn’t have been happier.

We arrived by freighter from Port Alberni (http://www.ladyrosemarine.com/). This 4 hour trip was a great start to our vacation. The freighter accommodates approx 30 passengers and stops at ocean access communities dropping off propane, groceries, beer etc. In fact, most of the goods available in Bamfield arrive this way. Upon arrival at the Government dock, Jeff (co-owner and guide) met us at the docks and collected our baggage. We opted to walk the 300m to the lodge. We appreciated the simplicity of the grounds and were pleased to see the simple yet thoughtfully constructed lodge.

Tyee Lodge is located on the outer edge of the Bamfield inlet. Its size is very similar to the floating lodges found in the Queen Charlotte Islands. However, the detailed finishing was much higher. Given it is land based, there are large grassy areas with horse shoes, seating and plenty of decks. Everything was very well maintained and there was lots of room and privacy. The large deck has very comfortable padded lounge chairs, ample seating. My wife and kids used the hot tub each evening. The views are simply post card perfect. We lucked out with hot weather and therefore had dinner outside on the deck. We stayed in a room with 4 single beds and it was much larger than I had expected. It was simple, but very clean. We appreciated the welcome give left on each of our pillows upon arrival.

The boats at Tyee are simply the best I have ever fished off of at a fishing lodge. These 24 aluminum work horses are about as seaworthy as you can find. They have 3 boats which have twin 90 or 115 or a single 250. They get you where you want to go…and fast. We fished the flats 22 miles off shore and it took less than 1 1/2hrs to get there. However there is lots of fishing within 15 minutes of the dock. We ventured out because of a huge Chinook run. We caught 11 salmon, 2 halibut in less and 2 hours. My fiends boat caught over 100 fish and maxed their halibut in 7 hours. They stopped counting at 28 double headers. The fishing in Bamfield rivals any place in BC.

Overall, this lodge is different than the fly and heli in lodges in the North but for all the right reasons. It is laid back, so if your looking to have your behind kissed all day then this isn’t for you. The staff is very nice and want you to have a great time. You can see it in their eyes. The food is very good and approachable. Baby back ribs, souvlaki, roast, salmon, halibut. Great home cooking but upscale. There is an honor bar available which is well stocked. And most importantly, the other guests are there for a good time and to meet good people.

I debated whether I should post such a good review as the old rule of fishing is “Don’t tell anyone your favorite location”. However, they work incredibly hard to make their guests happy and for that they deserve success.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank rumbling_along
canada
Reviewed 18 July 2010

Five of us stayed in the Fisherman's Cabin in early July. After reading some of the reviews on tripadvisor I was a little concerned. I need not have worried.
From the time we were picked up at the Government Dock we encountered friendly staff and good service.
Keep in mind this is not a fancy resort with five star accommodation. It is a family run fishing resort in small town BC. There wasn't turn down service with a chocolate on the pillow... there was nice accommodation in a laid back atmosphere and one of the most beautiful spots in BC.
We went out fishing with a very professional guide who did his best to make sure we went home with fish.... and we did! The seas were rough and he was aware of the discomfort felt by a few of us. At the end of the day we felt he had gone over and above what was expected of him. The smile on my grandson's face when he talks about the experience tells it all.
From kayaking to beach combing to fishing to relaxing on the deck or in the hot tub.... this resort is a good base to experience the west coast of Vancouver Island.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank grannymbc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bamfield
Prestige Oceanfront Resort, BW Premier Collection
Canadian Princess Lodge
Canadian Princess Lodge
#11 of 11 in Ucluelet
Water's Edge Shoreside Suites

Been to Pacific Gateway Wilderness Lodge? Share your experiences!