“Undiscovered Gem”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bamfield
Pachena Bay Campground
“Undiscovered Gem”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Spent two nights tenting during the first week of June and the experience was absolutely magical. Beautiful quiet beach with an amazing view, almost completely unoccupied with a gorgeous ocean view right from the campsite. Great little oceanic bay for canoeing and kayaking and plenty of walking trails in Bamfield and down the West Coast Trail. The camping experience is well worth the drive. And Trevor the campsite manager was super friendly and awesome!!

Room Tip: RV site #1 is well worth booking months and months in advance
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Kristyn H

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I just returned from four days of camping at Pachena Bay and I almost cried when we left this morning - from happiness.

I think a lot of the good reviews must be written by RVers. My husband and I made the mistake of tenting at Pachena Bay. The people we were with had an RV.

First, we were situation right across from the main shower house, which is also where the main dumpsters are. The whole four days the entire site was full and never once was the garbage emptied. Thus, we had to deal with the smell of putrid garbage at our campsite everyday. Looking at the piles of garbage and empties was bad enough but the smell... oh my goodness.

Second. The shower rooms. I only showered twice because they were so filthy I feared I would catch something untreatable. The toilets are a disgrace. Overflowing and filthy. Only twice on the last day we were there was there actually toilet paper. There was food in the bathroom sinks, and no hand soap.

Third, the service. Every day they ran out of firewood, so there was never enough to go around. In true West Coast fashion, the weather was quite cold and wet most of the time we were there and we could not count on having a campfire.

This place is a complete dump. The beach is very nice, but other than that, I hope I never, ever have to go back here.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
18 Thank Kate L
Lethbridge, AB
Reviewed 13 August 2013

This campground is in an idyllic location but the customer service leaves much to be desired. I showed up last week with a reservation and was made to wait 3 hours (until well after 4pm) to get a site as the previous guests has not yet vacated. i was told that they could not relocate me as they were "fully booked" yet they managed to accommodate three other parties who arrived after me without a reservation.

When I asked for a refund instead they said they would give me one but i would lose my deposit as I was cancelling. I hardly call showing up and not getting site a cancellation.

I the end I shared a campsite with some friends and i did get my deposit back but it was 3 hours of frustration first. I would not go back.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank Yalewa74
Reviewed 8 August 2013 via mobile

Lovely campground, beautiful beach and kind friendly staff. We enjoyed a fabulous family vacation. Must travel a rough logging road to find this amazing gem. Beware lots kids come for the weekend to party, the noise never kept my family awake but we were further away from the party crowd (other campers were complaining).

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank Abbyskate
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 1 August 2013

This was my first trip to Pachena Bay and Bamfield and after visiting I cannot believe that I had been there before. The campground is nice though the washrooms are a bit dirty, still who can complain when there is water and flushing toilets. If you are the showering type the ones in the "T" section are quite a hike from them and the office too. Still the sites are a bit quieter so there is a balance. Being able to step off the campsite onto the beach was magical and who knew water on the Westcoast could get so hot! The town of Bamfield is a great day trip as well. Take the water taxi to West Bamfield and walk the Boardwalk.

Also we took the Lake Cowichan route in our Hyundai Elantra with two little kids and had no issues. Yes a bit bumpy but graded and well marked.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank VicVoyager
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Pachena Bay Campground is perfectly situated next door to the start of the West Coast Trail. I needed a night to camp before my early start on the trail the next morning and the guys there set me up with a site close to the beach. The spot couldn't have been better. The washrooms were clean and water was easy to access. The best part? I brought the wrong memory card for my camera and was devastated that I wouldn't be able to take pics of my hike. I asked Conrad at the office and through his girlfriend was able to find me one and deliver it to my campsite. Thanks Conrad I'll never forget that and I took some awesome pics!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank dglad
Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed 20 June 2013

After working a summer in Bamfield, I discovered the beauty that is Pachena Bay. This is a mini-Long Beach with a beautiful white sandy beach, clean ocean water and views that stretch for miles. You can hear the waves crashing from any campsite on the grounds, but the ones closest to the beach are the best. The staff is friendly and accommodating. Washrooms are well maintained and clean. We go every year and it's my favourite place to camp on Vancouver Island. The drive will keep the tourists away, but make sure to drive a truck or something similar as the roads can be rough.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Shalyn82
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bamfield
Best Western Tin Wis Resort
#3 of 26 in Ucluelet
Eagle Nook Resort
Eagle Nook Resort
#7 of 14 in Barkley Sound

Been to Pachena Bay Campground? Share your experiences!