“A genuinely terrible place to stay”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bamfield
Marie's Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 2 Bamfield B&B and Inns
Victoria, Canada
“A genuinely terrible place to stay”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2010

The review done in 2007- stating that this is the worst B and B hits the mark. The other reviews touting the charms of this place are questionable as to their authenticity. We had a a very similar and negative experience from the poor location, below average service, and a terrible room packed full of knick knacks. The " pay immediately when you arrive" policy is clearly a ruse to get the money from you before you can leave during your miserable stay.
We had minimal expectations as we are familiar with offerings in Bamfield; however, this was truly disappointing. The sheets had not been changed from the previous visitor as evidenced by all ofl of the sand we discovered in the bed! Breakfast was abysmal consisting of bananas, snack pepperoni and rancid peanuts. Unbelievable. The proprietor clearly does not have any concern for customer satisfaction, and we strongly recommend that you avoid this place and save your 90 dollars.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank DenicePeter

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Victoria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2008

I have stayed at Marie's well over a dozen times over the last few years. I have travelled to Bamfield for both business and pleasure. I have travelled alone and with others in my party (and at my recommendation). Marie's is ALWAYS my first choice of accomodation for this rawly beautiful town. It compares extremely well to all of the places I have visited for both business and pleasure over the last 10 years.

First a disclaimer: Bamfield is a real working town. This is not your usual tourist desination nor is it a place for someone looking for luxurious relaxation and indolence. The people here are kind and friendly but they are also busy and hardworking. Most people get by through piecing together multiple jobs. In a tiny place like Bamfield, most people have to play multiple roles so that the community can function. This is fascinating if you are open to the experience, but excruciating if you are looking for something more resort-like.

I have always enjoyed Bamfield's lack of pretention. I am not the sort who want my hand held. Marie has always respected my privacy yet has always had time for a friendly word. I hate feeling intruded upon and loath B&Bs where the host feels they have to fake some sort of instant intimate friendship. It is so crass and servile.

As noted, Bamfield is a small working town and as a result there are few amenities. It is often difficult to get a meal somewhere and there is little entertainment in the evenings. Marie has gone to great lengths to make up for this with her guests. There are movies in your room, lots of good books to borrow, dishes and a microwave so that you can cook for yourself, local art, and extra snacks with your breakfast tray so that you can pack the extras for a bag lunch. The place has a lot of stuff in it, but that is the nature of remote living; the nearest town of any size for supplies is a two hour gravel road drive away. This place is amazing value for money.

The house is a split-level with guest rooms on the bottom level so you can walk out onto a patio that leads to the garden. I have always found the rooms clean and hygenic. My sister has multiple allergies and she has been very happy staying at Marie's with me. The bathrooms are not ensuites, but there are still two bathrooms to two bedrooms. The beds are comfortable and I enjoy sitting and looking at the garden.

Be warned that this is not the typical flowery foofy garden. It is instead a garden for sophisticated tastes, incorporating a lot of underappreciated and misunderstood local plantings. As an amateur botanist I was thrilled. You can see the inlet from different parts of the property. Most of the main businesses that are the economic heart of the town are near to Marie's, so that is handy (store, pub, restaurant, fire hall, school, marine supplies, building supplies, Marine Sciences Centre). The aboriginal centres and the West Coast Trail are a short drive outside of town.

There are a few pretty little spots on the other side of the inlet and worth the price of a water taxi. There part of town is accessable only by boat. There is a Coast Guard, store, and post office. Sometimes there is an Arts & Crafts gallery. It is the closest Bamfield comes to being touristy.

I have been very happy at Marie's and will continue to stay there whenever I can. Bamfield is definitely not for everyone and I am kind of glad of that; some places should stay revealed only to those who can appreciate unconvential charm."

• Liked — Great value for the money.
  • Disliked — Gravel road to get to Bamfield.
  • Stayed November 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank BotanyBayLady
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2007

I felt compelled to write a review of Marie’s B&B after reading the previous guest’s posted review. I had the completely OPPOSITE experience while staying at Marie’s.

I loved Marie's B & B !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel that in order to be as thorough as possible, I will break my review down into the necessary sections:

1.My experience/ credentials as a traveler: I have been traveling throughout the U.S. and Canada for over 10 years now (I have traveled cost to cost in both countries, and I have covered most of Vancouver Island). My work takes me all over the place, and my friends and family are very dispersed throughout Canada. So, I have seen my fair share of Canadian and U.S. bed and breakfasts, hotels, motels, Inns, Lodges, etc….

2.Cost: I thought that Marie’s prices were extremely reasonable. I looked into the surrounding village’s other accommodations and Marie’s was by far the lowest fare. The hotel was quite pricey (and no meal!) not to mention the lodges.

Her place was also significantly cheaper than many of the hotels and inns within some of the more urban locations (eg. Port Alberni, Parksville, Courtenay). I thought the latter was quite surprising to me, as those folk usually are forced by competition to lower their prices.

And as far as west cost towns go, her price tag is the lowest overall (check out Tofino and Ucluelet!). Therefore I truly think that Marie is an exceptionally affordable choice.

3.Ambiance: I truly enjoyed the room’s various entertainment possibilities--including books, magazines, travel guides, local literature and literature about the area and its history, VHS movies with a TV that has VHS player, and a nice little individual patio setting.

I have never before stayed in another place that had so many entertainment options built in. And trust me, when you are in a place as remote as Bamfield, this is a plus! I also liked how private the rooms were, and the nice little ground-floor patio deck. Re. the Deck: you have a nice view of a very “west coast” garden and the coastal mountains, you can also see the mouth of the Bamfield Inlet. The beds were absolutely deluxe, and the bathrooms were wonderful (and numerous, should you have to wait while another guest occupies one).

4.The food/ meal options? I really enjoyed the meals provided by the B&B. she provided a generous breakfast platter, and when I say “generous” I mean huge! I thought that the meal was a real bargain (especially given the prices for most meals in Canada!). I also thought it was really great that the room had the equipment for cooking and preparing meals on one’s own. I liked this option because the local restaurant closed early and so I had a way to prepare my own food.

Here I have to disagree with the previous review that claims that this is unusual: it isn’t unusual for B&Bs to have a platter option. And in fact, I prefer the platter option as it allowed me to sleep in and eat in a leisurely fashion.

5.The host? I thought that Marie was a very friendly and helpful host. As I already mentioned, her rooms provide a lot of information about the area and its facilities. She was extremely helpful in providing information about getting around, etc.

She was also really good at giving me my privacy. The rooms are set off from the main house upstairs, and I thought this was a real plus as I was away on a romantic holiday.

No matter what, the privacy level is largely up to the guest—if you want conversation/ help, Marie seemed very happy and enthusiastic about providing this service.

6.Overall sense of the place? overall, I would have to say that this was one of the best B&B experiences I ever had. I thought the rooms were really fun and incredibly clean. She sheets were crisp and fresh, the rooms smelled absolutely wonderful, the overall setting was gorgeous, and the host was a really good person and easy to get along with.

7.Would I recommend the place? Yes! I would recommend this place to anyone in a heartbeat. Of course, you always have the option to look before you confirm (and I don’t know why the previous reviewers didn’t do that—being experienced travelers and all).

But I must say that in all my years of traveling (alone, with my family, or on a romantic getaway), Marie’s place stands out as one of the warmest, homiest, and overall fun and fulfilling places to stay—and at such an affordable rate!

• Liked — The homey feel (fun rooms), the privacy, the food, the scenery, the location, the cost.
  • Disliked — not applicable
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank CanadianDogLover
Surrey BC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2007

Some people should not operate a B & B and Marie is one of these people. We have been staying at B & B's for over 10 years and this is the first that we have been disgusted with our choice. The room is so crowded with junk it was like sleeping in a thrift shop. The room has not been properly cleaned for years. Very heavy dust bunnies behind and under all furniture. I suffer from asthmatic allergies and it took 2 days for my health to return after staying here. On the 2nd night while having dinner in the room my wife discovered she had multiple ants crawling over her, the meal and our bed. When we caled Marie down to point out this unacceptable condition she stated she knew about the problem and still rented out the room, she was prepared to just go back upstairs. We demanded to change rooms as the other room was vacant on our 2nd night. As she had not yet cleaned this room, she did a quick clean up from the previous nights guests, we realized later she did not fully change all the bedding from the prior guests. The breakfast is more of a large assortment of snacks put in your room the night before and dirty dishes are not removed until the next evening ( no wonder ther was an ant problem)., There is not a comfortable place to sit and the room is crowed with unnessarary clutter, dozens of cups, plates, towels, bedding and unnecessary storage units crammed with stuff. We found her website very misleading. She was not hospitable, seemed only interested in her money, she displayed no interest in us or our plans. The bed linen was completely mismatched and the room had no ambiance. There were no views from the room, if there was any view from upstairs it is redundant as guests have no access to the upstairs as your time is spend in a cluttered, smelly basement. The garden is a weed patch, the patio was surrounded by dirty plastic flowers and looks over a weedy gravel parking spot. The web also says this is close to the centre of town. Her opinion of the centre of town is s smal grocery store, you are across the harbour from what I would consider centre of town and must use a water taxt to cross. The bed in the second room was the most uncomfortable in recent memory. The bathrooms were not very nice and definetely not "your own private bathroom" as there was no lock and the other room guests prefered "our" bathroom to the poor set up that was their's. In our bathroom there were over 35 partial bottles of shampoos, body wash products and stacks of mismatched towels cluttering up the space along with more dust. We arrived on foot from the boat and Marie scammed us into paying in advance stating she was going into Port Alberni and wanted to do her banking. So not only did we feel trapped, we did not notice till later that the house next door was also a B & B and we wished we had looked into moving. We also had to deal with several insect bites we suspect were from the room.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Lack of cleanliness, breakfast, host, lack of ambiance.
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
10 Thank BHMSURREYBC
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bamfield
Ocean Village Beach Resort
Eagle Nook Resort
#6 of 14 in Barkley Sound
Black Rock Oceanfront Resort
Duffin Cove Oceanfront Lodging

Been to Marie's Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!