“Super nice and great value” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Powell River Harbour Guesthouse

Powell River Harbour Guesthouse
Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Powell River Harbour Guesthouse
Vancouver, BC
“Super nice and great value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2011

I often book a private room in a hostel to get better value than a motel and because I like the shared amenities like the kitchen, hang out areas and internet. But as often as not the shared amenities are dirty and run down.

But not this place! The room was basic but very clean and nice. But the kitchen, living room and deck really rocked -- super clean, very nicely equipped kitchen with utensils and pots and pans that were good quality, great deck overlooking the harbour and fast wifi which worked throughout the place.

And the location is perfect...just above the ferry from Vancouver Island and in the midst of the most interesting part of Powell River's commercial district.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
      Location
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ddosdall

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Vancouver, BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2011

I have travelled in England, Scotland, Canada, the United States, Mexico, Australia, New Zealand, Guatemala, and Costa Rica. This is the most comfortable and cleanest hostel I have ever stayed in... anywhere.

The hostel is very convenient - right across the street from the ferry terminal where ferries leave to Comox on Vancouver Island, and to Texada Island.

I stayed in the dorm which I was told was co-ed. I don't know if it is always co-ed but it was during my stay. To my surprise, I didn't mind it at all!

The dorm room held 4 double-tiered bunk beds which of metal with no springs so the beds didn't creak or make annoying noises when people moved about in them. It had huge horizontal lockers. The bed was provided with linen (sheet and bottom), pillow, and a duvet. The mattresses were very comfortable and I had no problem sleeping.

The kitchen and eating area is large and comfortable. Two fridges. A good selection of pots and pans and eating utensils are supplied.

There is a computer for free internet use for hostellers, albeit its connection speed is somewhat slow. There is also a large TV screen for viewing movies.

The deck outside is comfortable, with a picnic table and chairs of wood. It has a gorgeous view of the ocean and Vancouver Island beyond the ferry terminal.

On Saturday night, the bar above it was noisy until 1:00 am but I doubt a person would be able to hear it when the weather gets colder because the doors will probably be shut. The rest of my stay, the outside environment was quiet, except for traffic from the ferries but I didn't notice it much and it didn't affect my sleep. (I wear ear plugs.)

The owner is positively charming, fun, and helpful.

When I erroneously referred to it as a "youth" hostel, he said, "My hostel is for everyone, of any age." I loved that! I knew I had found the perfect hostel.

I would definitely recommend this hostel to anyone and everyone. I thoroughly enjoyed my 7-day stay and will return.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo