“Unimaginative Hotel Name and Unimaginative Hotel”
Review of Town Centre Hotel

Town Centre Hotel
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Powell River
Reviewed 16 May 2013

Oh dear! I could say so much!

The hotel certainly lives up to its unimaginative name.

I am glad that we only had to stay one night. I am not sure how many people were staying that night (a Friday night) but there were hardly any cars in the car park and we only saw/heard one other person in the hotel apart from the receptionist.

First off, I was astonished when we were given an actual KEY to our room. I don’t think I have had an actual key for many years. This kind of set the tone really.

They have refurbished some of the "Executive rooms" but these only have one bed and as I was staying with a friend we needed two beds so ended up in an unrefurbished room.

It was certainly like stepping back into the 70s or 80s. I half expected to hear Depeche Mode or Smokey Robinson in piped music in the lobby…

The decor was jaded and tired, in keeping with the rest of the inside and outside of the hotel. The room was dingy, with an old fashioned TV. The beds; if I said my bed was hard, that would be an understatement. I actually didn’t sleep a wink all night. I think I would have been better off sitting up in the armchair because I would at least have dozed off. Still, on the bright side, that meant that we didn’t need the alarm clock (which I did set but which didn’t work) because we had to be at the ferry terminal for 7.15 next morning. The bathroom was basic with old fashioned fittings – not unexpected. Reading the spec for the refurbished rooms, they gave the impression that they were luxury rooms with modern conveniences such as an iron and ironing board! If I wanted one in my unrefurbished room I had to phone housekeeping and ask for it. I ended up going out to dinner in my creased up white shirt.

On the plus side: The room was clean and so was the bathroom. We were on the second floor and had a glass slider which opened and this would have been useful on a warm night instead of a noisy AC.

However the room overlooked the courtyard, which normally had tables and chairs outside and an integral pub so that might have been very noisy at night in the summer with the door open.

Even the courtyard looked tired. The paint on the eaves and the outside was turquoise blue (very 80s) and worn and peeling. There was a Jacuzzi, with what looked like a broken cover and some hazard tape around it. Not appealing either.

Want food? There’s the pub which serves standard pub chain food and we didn’t even bother to look inside. It did sound quite busy on the Friday evening. There is a restaurant in the hotel but that only serves continental breakfast (free) and lunch. No dinner. Can’t tell you about the breakfast because we didn’t have time for it. We got a taxi down into town to go to a restaurant for dinner – it only cost just over $6 each way so that was convenient.

If you only have to stay one night, you don’t care about the hotel’s décor and amenities, plus you are the sort of person that could sleep on a wooden table, then you probably won’t mind staying there. It is very handy for the ferry, especially if you have to get an early ferry as we did - it took us five minutes to get to the terminal.

This hotel needs some more financial investment and quick. I hope that the refurbished rooms are the start of refurbishing the rest of the hotel.

There are plenty of good B&Bs in the area as an alternative.

I think we will be looking at a B&B when we have to come up again in two weeks’ time.

Room Tip: If you are alone or a couple, ask for an Executive room. It doesn't cost that much more than one...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bren A

Reviewed 6 May 2013

We based our decision on the rooms on the website- our room is NOTHING like any of the rooms advertised- oh wait, the really ugly bed spread is the same! Absolutely FALSE advertising! The bed has no support, the room has three pillows. Two flat, one lumpy. The tv is an old tube style, with a bad picture. The tile at the entrance to the room is cracked. The room has NO balcony. It looks over a parking lot. the hallways smell! I could go on, but I want to get out of this place. Not sure how we'll sleep tonight.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Stellabymoonlight
Reviewed 26 April 2013

I travel to Powell River 5 to 6 times per year for work and stayed at the Town Centre Hotel one time only and if I could go back in time and get my money back I certainly would. The hotel did not have Wi-Fi, in fact the Front Desk Attendant didn't even know what Wi-Fi was. The hallway carpets were dirty, the entire building was dated with Antique Roadshow brass & glass decor. The room was dirty, dirty, dirty!!! I had a wonderful view of a busy parking lot and was treated to headlights shining in the room the entire evening and into the early hours of the morning. There was no work station in the room, they simply threw in an old oversized square table (obviously not meant for this room) in the corner and a couple of 80's tub chairs that I think were originally some grey/lavender pattern but were actually brown almost entirely from dirt. And of course not an electrical outlet in sight!!! The TV was older model but worked okay. The bed was comfortable enough. The carpet was dark green and dirty and the bathroom was a Pepto pink colour and the toilet didn't flush. I honestly wanted to leave the second I walked in the room but it was late and I was tired and just needed sleep thankfully. To add insult to injury here, this room was only $12/night cheaper than the posh Beach Gardens Resort where the rooms are all brand new with Wi-Fi and flat screen TV's and views of the ocean. Save your money, splurge on the $12 and go there instead.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Steven B
shalliday, General Manager at Town Centre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2013

Thank you for providing input from your visit last year. We are sorry that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. If our Front Desk had been made aware that there were problems with your room, they would have moved you to another room. If the car lights from the parking lot were bothersome even with black-out drapes, I am certain that our staff could have found you a room on the second floor where you would have been more comfortable. I am confused by your comments about WiFi. We do have free Wireless Internet throughout the Hotel. Every guest is given the password upon check-in, and although we do not have a specific IT person on staff, all of our Front Desk staff are aware of our system and the password.

In the past year since your stay we have upgraded 12 rooms to Executive Class, with flat screen TV's, new furniture, new carpets, granite topped vanities, and many more features, as pictured on Trip Advisor. Later this year we will be rrenovating almost all of our standard rooms. We hope that you will consider staying with us in future. I am sure you will be pleased with our renovations.

Reviewed 25 March 2013

We visit Powell River every year or so to visit with our friends, and this is the first year we have stayed at the Town Centre Hotel. Its location is convenient to the center of town, ferry dock, shopping center, and most important it's close to the homes of our friends.
The hotel is situated in the large parking lot of a shopping center that has a Walmart, Sears, Safeway and Canadian Tire. 71 rooms circle a private courtyard of pavers, planters, tables and umbrellas. The preferred room view is toward the courtyard. The hotel has had a recent upgrade, so if you have a choice I would recommend the 2nd story "executive" rooms. The interiors are nicely done. Artwork is tasteful, bathrooms and fittings are all good quality, hot water is plentiful, and there are two white terry bathrobes hanging up in the closet. Everything we saw was clean and well maintained. The beds and linens were comfortable, but we did have an issue with oversized and hard pillows (I recommend bringing your own). They were not as comfortable as I would have liked. The rooms all have free Wifi and large flatscreen TVs. Ours had a quiet little fridge that was great to keep drinks and sandwiches cold in. The in-wall room heater / air conditioner was noisy when it ran (unfortunately these units all are noisy no matter where you stay), so just turn it off at night. Otherwise the room was very quiet and very comfortable.
Breakfasts were "continental" with homemade muffins, cold hardboiled eggs, coffee, juice, breads & bagels and toasters, yoghurt, fruits and tea. Lunch and dinners are within a short walk, or you can pop into TC's pub for a pint of Canadian, some good BC wine and a full dinner menu. It's a great way to catch a hockey game with a bunch of friends you've never met before. The servers were friendly and the food was very good.
Desk service was very good. Not only could they help us with any requests we had, but they also knew almost everyone in town and had the best advice for where to go and what to see. They were always friendly, curteous and professional.
My only negative comment is: Booking online directly through the hotel's website was awkward. I didn't know how much the room was or what my room options were until after writing an inquiry email through their website. Only then I was informed that the room was confirmed and the room price was $145 per night (somewhat higher than I wanted to pay).

Other than that, it is really a very nice hotel in downtown Powell River and worth a visit.

Room Tip: Get a room on the top (2nd) floor facing the courtyard. They are more expensive, but the view is nic...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 March 2013

One night here as part of a business trip. Powell River doesn't have a lot of choice when it comes to accommodations. So to say that I was wary when I booked is an understatement. I shouldn't have worried. The staff are very nice, the hotel was quite clean and the beds were comfy.
I stayed at the newly updated rooms, well worth the extra $10.
The location was great; downtown, Tim Hortons beside and only 3 mins from the ferry terminal.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
shalliday, General Manager at Town Centre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2013

Thank you for your comments about our hotel. Our staff strive to make every customer feel that this is their home away from home. We are glad that you felt welcomed and comfortable during your stay with us.

Reviewed 31 October 2012

I was recently in Powell River for business and stayed 1 night at the Town Centre Hotel. I booked a New Executive Class Room, it was fantastic. I had a wonderful sleep, the room was very pleasant and cozy. It had a brand New large hi-def TV and the WiFi was fast. I also found the hotel staff to be very friendly and helpful. The room included continental breakfast which was pretty good, it had more of a selection than most places I've stayed.

Overall, great experience - I would definitely stay here again and book an Executive Class Room, it's worth the extra $20.

Room Tip: Highly recommend the new executive class rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
shalliday, General Manager at Town Centre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2012

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review. We are proud of our new Executive Class rooms and I am glad you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 31 October 2012

When I arrived at this property, I was blown away by the desk clerk. He was great!! Went over in detail the internet access procedure, where breakfast was and then asked if I had eaten dinner yet. When I replied that I hadn't, he inquired to my food preferences and then recommended two restaurants in the hotel and two other ones close by.
Sadly, the mattress was overdue for replacement and the pillows should have been tossed out years ago. These were the things that really took away from the experience. I would not stay there again since I don't like to wake up every hour.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
#2 of 7 in Powell River
Beyond Bliss Suites
Beyond Bliss Suites
#1 of 20 in Powell River

Been to Town Centre Hotel? Share your experiences!