“needing upgrading”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Powell River
Trail, Canada
“needing upgrading”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

just came back from Powell River and stayed 2 nights at the Town Centre Hotel, the room was large enough with a couch and a king bed for $119 plus tax. I found the rooms to be very clean but it needed updateing, the carpets were stained and needed changing and some of the furniture seened better days. the T.V was an old tube type and ready to go any time, I found the front desk clerk to be very nice and friendly,woul stay here again mainly for its location as there isnt many better places to stay near town

Room Tip: higher floor rooms have sliding patio doors but no patio to step out on to
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed 31 May 2013

In late May 2013, we stayed in one of the refurbished 'executive' rooms for $149 + tax. The room itself was fine-it was clean; the king bed was comfortable; the room had an HD TV with lots of channels; a hide-a-bed; free Wi-Fi etc. But it appears that the refurbishing is not complete-the sink's colour doesn't match the tub or toilet; the wall switches and plates are that old faded yellow colour etc. If you wear glasses, you'll need them to figure out how the shower works. The breakfast was mediocre-the only hot food were plain omelets that were still cold after microwaving them for the prescribed time. A few bagels, a bit of fruit and tetra-packed juices and that was about it.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank MesaMac
Powell River, Canada
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Spent the night here on a Thursday - Friday and the room was clean but really dated. The room looked like something out of the late 80's. On that same note, you only get BASIC cable...I can't believe in this day and age that there are still hotels that don't (at the very least) offer full cable.

The picture you see above is not the room you will most likely get.

I had my dogs with me and I ended up paying $150.00 for one night...way too expensive for what you get staying here.

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room when booking...might be a good idea to ask if they have cable in the updated...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Jason R
Delta, BC
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Stayed here for two nights as part of a bus tour up the Sunshine Coast. It was decent. No views of the ocean, but it is located conveniently beside a major shopping area with Tim Hortons, Walmart, Shoppers Drug Mart etc... The choices of hotels are pretty limited, so unless you love B&B's or old restored buildings that smell old, this is probably your best bet in town. Yes, the room was a bit dated, but it was clean (though I have to agree with earlier reviews that the carpets were pretty stained and should be replaced). The staff were friendly and the food in the restaurant was decent. (though i think they are only open for dinner on weekends). The breakfast was pretty sad, but you could eat all the cereal and toast you wanted. Wifi worked well so I don't understand a previous review which said it doesn't have wifi. Overall, an okay place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a courtyard view. The courtyard is kind of sad, but it's better than a park...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Victoria
Reviewed 16 May 2013

Oh dear! I could say so much!

The hotel certainly lives up to its unimaginative name.

I am glad that we only had to stay one night. I am not sure how many people were staying that night (a Friday night) but there were hardly any cars in the car park and we only saw/heard one other person in the hotel apart from the receptionist.

First off, I was astonished when we were given an actual KEY to our room. I don’t think I have had an actual key for many years. This kind of set the tone really.

They have refurbished some of the "Executive rooms" but these only have one bed and as I was staying with a friend we needed two beds so ended up in an unrefurbished room.

It was certainly like stepping back into the 70s or 80s. I half expected to hear Depeche Mode or Smokey Robinson in piped music in the lobby…

The decor was jaded and tired, in keeping with the rest of the inside and outside of the hotel. The room was dingy, with an old fashioned TV. The beds; if I said my bed was hard, that would be an understatement. I actually didn’t sleep a wink all night. I think I would have been better off sitting up in the armchair because I would at least have dozed off. Still, on the bright side, that meant that we didn’t need the alarm clock (which I did set but which didn’t work) because we had to be at the ferry terminal for 7.15 next morning. The bathroom was basic with old fashioned fittings – not unexpected. Reading the spec for the refurbished rooms, they gave the impression that they were luxury rooms with modern conveniences such as an iron and ironing board! If I wanted one in my unrefurbished room I had to phone housekeeping and ask for it. I ended up going out to dinner in my creased up white shirt.

On the plus side: The room was clean and so was the bathroom. We were on the second floor and had a glass slider which opened and this would have been useful on a warm night instead of a noisy AC.

However the room overlooked the courtyard, which normally had tables and chairs outside and an integral pub so that might have been very noisy at night in the summer with the door open.

Even the courtyard looked tired. The paint on the eaves and the outside was turquoise blue (very 80s) and worn and peeling. There was a Jacuzzi, with what looked like a broken cover and some hazard tape around it. Not appealing either.

Want food? There’s the pub which serves standard pub chain food and we didn’t even bother to look inside. It did sound quite busy on the Friday evening. There is a restaurant in the hotel but that only serves continental breakfast (free) and lunch. No dinner. Can’t tell you about the breakfast because we didn’t have time for it. We got a taxi down into town to go to a restaurant for dinner – it only cost just over $6 each way so that was convenient.

If you only have to stay one night, you don’t care about the hotel’s décor and amenities, plus you are the sort of person that could sleep on a wooden table, then you probably won’t mind staying there. It is very handy for the ferry, especially if you have to get an early ferry as we did - it took us five minutes to get to the terminal.

This hotel needs some more financial investment and quick. I hope that the refurbished rooms are the start of refurbishing the rest of the hotel.

There are plenty of good B&Bs in the area as an alternative.

I think we will be looking at a B&B when we have to come up again in two weeks’ time.

Room Tip: If you are alone or a couple, ask for an Executive room. It doesn't cost that much more than one...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bren A

Travellers are raving about these Powell River hotels

Reviewed 6 May 2013

We based our decision on the rooms on the website- our room is NOTHING like any of the rooms advertised- oh wait, the really ugly bed spread is the same! Absolutely FALSE advertising! The bed has no support, the room has three pillows. Two flat, one lumpy. The tv is an old tube style, with a bad picture. The tile at the entrance to the room is cracked. The room has NO balcony. It looks over a parking lot. the hallways smell! I could go on, but I want to get out of this place. Not sure how we'll sleep tonight.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Stellabymoonlight
Coquitlam, Canada
Reviewed 26 April 2013

I travel to Powell River 5 to 6 times per year for work and stayed at the Town Centre Hotel one time only and if I could go back in time and get my money back I certainly would. The hotel did not have Wi-Fi, in fact the Front Desk Attendant didn't even know what Wi-Fi was. The hallway carpets were dirty, the entire building was dated with Antique Roadshow brass & glass decor. The room was dirty, dirty, dirty!!! I had a wonderful view of a busy parking lot and was treated to headlights shining in the room the entire evening and into the early hours of the morning. There was no work station in the room, they simply threw in an old oversized square table (obviously not meant for this room) in the corner and a couple of 80's tub chairs that I think were originally some grey/lavender pattern but were actually brown almost entirely from dirt. And of course not an electrical outlet in sight!!! The TV was older model but worked okay. The bed was comfortable enough. The carpet was dark green and dirty and the bathroom was a Pepto pink colour and the toilet didn't flush. I honestly wanted to leave the second I walked in the room but it was late and I was tired and just needed sleep thankfully. To add insult to injury here, this room was only $12/night cheaper than the posh Beach Gardens Resort where the rooms are all brand new with Wi-Fi and flat screen TV's and views of the ocean. Save your money, splurge on the $12 and go there instead.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Steven B
shalliday, General Manager at Town Centre Hotel, responded to this review, 29 April 2013
Thank you for providing input from your visit last year. We are sorry that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. If our Front Desk had been made aware that there were problems with your room, they would have moved you to another room. If the car lights from the parking lot were bothersome even with black-out drapes, I am certain that our staff could have found you a room on the second floor where you would have been more comfortable. I am confused by your comments about WiFi. We do have free Wireless Internet throughout the Hotel. Every guest is given the password upon check-in, and although we do not have a specific IT person on staff, all of our Front Desk staff are aware of our system and the password.

In the past year since your stay we have upgraded 12 rooms to Executive Class, with flat screen TV's, new furniture, new carpets, granite topped vanities, and many more features, as pictured on Trip Advisor. Later this year we will be rrenovating almost all of our standard rooms. We hope that you will consider staying with us in future. I am sure you will be pleased with our renovations.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Powell River
#4 of 7 in Powell River
Beyond Bliss Suites
Beyond Bliss Suites
#1 of 19 in Powell River

Been to Town Centre Hotel? Share your experiences!