“Quite decent for a small town in a remote location.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Town Centre Hotel

Town Centre Hotel
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Powell River
Châteauguay, Quebec, Canada
“Quite decent for a small town in a remote location.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013 via mobile

What other people are saying about the hotel needing "updating" is true, however I wanted to write my own review because this hotel is actually surprisingly well maintained for it's location. This town is too amall to have any major chain hotels, and I was wary of what I would find here after I stayed in a disgusting place that was falsely advertised as great over in Gibsons, which is a much busier area. So, to be fair there are a few things that are out dated and look like relics from the 1990s. Those things icluded the fabric wall paper, the pink curtains, and the tube TV. Everything else, such as the carpeting, the mattresses, and the bathroom fixtures was fairly new. I *always* check mattresses for age when I stay at hotels and it was brand new. Honestly, this hotel wasn't any worse than the Sandman Hotel we stayed at in Langly two days ago. No big frills, but clean and up to code. Could be a lot worse in an area that's losing tourism due to rising ferry prices. We were very comfortable here.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank EBT857

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

25 July 2013: Just checked into a king 'deluxe' room and the room is terrible. The carpets are stained, the decor is old and dirty and the furniture is just as old. You can look out onto the street or ???. Don't believe the pictures, that is probably the only room that is decorated like that. They are well versed in confusing you with their 'deluxe' vs. 'executive' vs 'standard'. If you have to stay here, get the standard, that's all the deluxe is worth as far as I'm concerned....they are trying to be an executive hotel with dollar store decor, and they don't know what a carpet cleaner is!

Room Tip: To get the best room, you have to pay the top dollar and remember to call it the executive, 'new...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SharWilson14

Travellers are raving about these Powell River hotels

Trail, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

just came back from Powell River and stayed 2 nights at the Town Centre Hotel, the room was large enough with a couch and a king bed for $119 plus tax. I found the rooms to be very clean but it needed updateing, the carpets were stained and needed changing and some of the furniture seened better days. the T.V was an old tube type and ready to go any time, I found the front desk clerk to be very nice and friendly,woul stay here again mainly for its location as there isnt many better places to stay near town

Room Tip: higher floor rooms have sliding patio doors but no patio to step out on to
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Vancouver Island, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2013

In late May 2013, we stayed in one of the refurbished 'executive' rooms for $149 + tax. The room itself was fine-it was clean; the king bed was comfortable; the room had an HD TV with lots of channels; a hide-a-bed; free Wi-Fi etc. But it appears that the refurbishing is not complete-the sink's colour doesn't match the tub or toilet; the wall switches and plates are that old faded yellow colour etc. If you wear glasses, you'll need them to figure out how the shower works. The breakfast was mediocre-the only hot food were plain omelets that were still cold after microwaving them for the prescribed time. A few bagels, a bit of fruit and tetra-packed juices and that was about it.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank MesaMac
Powell River, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2013

Spent the night here on a Thursday - Friday and the room was clean but really dated. The room looked like something out of the late 80's. On that same note, you only get BASIC cable...I can't believe in this day and age that there are still hotels that don't (at the very least) offer full cable.

The picture you see above is not the room you will most likely get.

I had my dogs with me and I ended up paying $150.00 for one night...way too expensive for what you get staying here.

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room when booking...might be a good idea to ask if they have cable in the updated...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Jason R
Delta, BC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

Stayed here for two nights as part of a bus tour up the Sunshine Coast. It was decent. No views of the ocean, but it is located conveniently beside a major shopping area with Tim Hortons, Walmart, Shoppers Drug Mart etc... The choices of hotels are pretty limited, so unless you love B&B's or old restored buildings that smell old, this is probably your best bet in town. Yes, the room was a bit dated, but it was clean (though I have to agree with earlier reviews that the carpets were pretty stained and should be replaced). The staff were friendly and the food in the restaurant was decent. (though i think they are only open for dinner on weekends). The breakfast was pretty sad, but you could eat all the cereal and toast you wanted. Wifi worked well so I don't understand a previous review which said it doesn't have wifi. Overall, an okay place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a courtyard view. The courtyard is kind of sad, but it's better than a park...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Victoria
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2013

Oh dear! I could say so much!

The hotel certainly lives up to its unimaginative name.

I am glad that we only had to stay one night. I am not sure how many people were staying that night (a Friday night) but there were hardly any cars in the car park and we only saw/heard one other person in the hotel apart from the receptionist.

First off, I was astonished when we were given an actual KEY to our room. I don’t think I have had an actual key for many years. This kind of set the tone really.

They have refurbished some of the "Executive rooms" but these only have one bed and as I was staying with a friend we needed two beds so ended up in an unrefurbished room.

It was certainly like stepping back into the 70s or 80s. I half expected to hear Depeche Mode or Smokey Robinson in piped music in the lobby…

The decor was jaded and tired, in keeping with the rest of the inside and outside of the hotel. The room was dingy, with an old fashioned TV. The beds; if I said my bed was hard, that would be an understatement. I actually didn’t sleep a wink all night. I think I would have been better off sitting up in the armchair because I would at least have dozed off. Still, on the bright side, that meant that we didn’t need the alarm clock (which I did set but which didn’t work) because we had to be at the ferry terminal for 7.15 next morning. The bathroom was basic with old fashioned fittings – not unexpected. Reading the spec for the refurbished rooms, they gave the impression that they were luxury rooms with modern conveniences such as an iron and ironing board! If I wanted one in my unrefurbished room I had to phone housekeeping and ask for it. I ended up going out to dinner in my creased up white shirt.

On the plus side: The room was clean and so was the bathroom. We were on the second floor and had a glass slider which opened and this would have been useful on a warm night instead of a noisy AC.

However the room overlooked the courtyard, which normally had tables and chairs outside and an integral pub so that might have been very noisy at night in the summer with the door open.

Even the courtyard looked tired. The paint on the eaves and the outside was turquoise blue (very 80s) and worn and peeling. There was a Jacuzzi, with what looked like a broken cover and some hazard tape around it. Not appealing either.

Want food? There’s the pub which serves standard pub chain food and we didn’t even bother to look inside. It did sound quite busy on the Friday evening. There is a restaurant in the hotel but that only serves continental breakfast (free) and lunch. No dinner. Can’t tell you about the breakfast because we didn’t have time for it. We got a taxi down into town to go to a restaurant for dinner – it only cost just over $6 each way so that was convenient.

If you only have to stay one night, you don’t care about the hotel’s décor and amenities, plus you are the sort of person that could sleep on a wooden table, then you probably won’t mind staying there. It is very handy for the ferry, especially if you have to get an early ferry as we did - it took us five minutes to get to the terminal.

This hotel needs some more financial investment and quick. I hope that the refurbished rooms are the start of refurbishing the rest of the hotel.

There are plenty of good B&Bs in the area as an alternative.

I think we will be looking at a B&B when we have to come up again in two weeks’ time.

Room Tip: If you are alone or a couple, ask for an Executive room. It doesn't cost that much more than one...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
#4 of 7 in Powell River
Beyond Bliss Suites
Beyond Bliss Suites
#1 of 19 in Powell River

Been to Town Centre Hotel? Share your experiences!