“Good Food”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Enjoyed sitting on the deck. Service was prompt and pleasant The stuffed mushrooms and calamari and Mexican salad were very good

Reviewed 2 April 2014

This restaurant was an easy walk from where I stayed in Powell River so my friend and I walked up. Nice warm light interior. Were seated close to the windows out over the ocean, since it was only 4pm on a weeknight. Had the burgers, and I had the salad (and asked for and got the mushrooms and bacon for the burger on the side) and my friend had the burger (and my mushrooms and bacon) and yam fries. Best yam fries I've ever had -- crispy on the outside and nicely cooked inside. The burger had real cheddar cheese with great flavour, and the beef and bits were terrific. Ciabatta buns were good too. The salad is a house specialty with spring lettuce, pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries (local, I understand), and oranges in their own citrus vinaigrette. The server who said there was no oil in it, just various citrus juices and vinegar. It was fabulous and I saved half of my salad for dessert. And then ordered dessert.

My friend had the pecan pie and he sort of moaned as he ate (he adores pecan pie). The swirl of whipped cream on the side had a touch of spice (nutmeg and maybe ginger and cinnamon) and was delicious. I had the Grasshopper Frozen Torte which was a high class ice cream pie. Oh, heavens. The two chocolate layers were below a thick layer of chocolate chip mint ice cream (all made in house since only the gelato was ordered in) and it was bliss. One layer of chocolate was hard frozen crumb crust so the mouth feel gave one soft, hard and the middle chocolate layer of smooth.

I eat out in Vancouver regularly and this one one of the best meals I've had anywhere.

I highly recommend the Frog Bistro Salad if you like citrus fruit at all.

2  Thank LaCorsaire
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Marine Avenue in Powell River is about a storey higher in altitude than the ferry terminal and Willingdon Street below, which makes Tree Frog Bistro one of the lucky restaurants on the sunny side of the street, with a lovely view of Texada Island and the ferries plying the Salish Sea to snow-capped Vancouver Island--not to mention our famous sunsets splaying glorious colors all over the western sky and sea.
This well appointed spot is always a good bet for dinner or lunch. My friend and I were there by accident--our regular spot was closed--for her birthday dinner. $87 covered a ten-dollar tip, 3 glasses of wine, one shared appetizer and two entrees. My vegetarian penne dish was so generously sized, I skipped two meals the next day, still pleasantly sated and without the nasty side effects most restaurants now give me. My friend was similarly pleased with her lamb dish: the meat simply melted in one's mouth--I would have devoured the whole thing immediately but my more civilized friend managed to end up with a fair-sized doggie bag destined for a scrumptious lunch next day, no doubt, and hardly for the dog. I suspect the Tree Frog Bistro's emphasis on fresh foods makes the difference in the food quality, earning this spot that rarity, a hearty recommendation from me.
I would quibble only with the tamari (or something like it) that came with the initial warm bread. I enjoy bits of interesting bread as a palate cleanser with the first glass of wine, but butter, garlic butter, cheese sauce, cream of balsamic vinegar or the like would be better than dunking the bread in tangy liquid--too soggy and obscures the qualities of the bread.
Otherwise, perfect. TGree Frog Bistro is on my list for the next special occasion.

Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Very cozy place small and clean, good food, but beeing so far away from big towns would be realy helpfull to have a password for Wi-Fi aviable in the restaurant to have a chance to check your next travel schedule.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

This is the 2nd time we have visited this restuarant. This time we were taken by family who came here to Powell River to visit us. I was also given a free appetizer as it was my birthday in December - a kind gesture, and I wondered how they knew the date of my birthday? The meal was very nice and the staff very attentive. The decor and view help make this place quite special - would certainly recommend eating here.