“Charming, old-world character hotel with excellent customer service.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Old Courthouse Inn

The Old Courthouse Inn
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Powell River
Richmond, Canada
“Charming, old-world character hotel with excellent customer service.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2011

The location of this hotel could not be better suited for my business activities but will appeal to anyone looking for a taste of historic Powell River and a good nights rest. I have stayed in a number of the period appointed rooms, each with updated bathrooms and amenities.

On my last stay I managed to lose my iPod on the way out the door; thankfully the keen-eyed proprietor found my device and managed to determine it's ownership. That was only the beginning however, as she followed through by contacting me and making arrangements for the iPod to be returned via priority post.

Although there are other options for accommodation in the area, I am so thankful a colleague introduced me to The Old Courthouse in 2008 - I wouldn't consider staying anywhere else in the Powell River area.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2011

What we liked the most about the Old Court House is the peaceful feeling. We stayed 2 wonderful weeks with my girlfriend, she had a business trip in Powell River while I had the chance to enjoy the charm of the city and the Old Court House. It is a fantastic experience to stay in such iconic place. There is so much history in this building, it gives you the impression you're part of it. To sleep in a room where people lived and worked almost 100 years ago gives you an incomparable feeling. Lilia and and her husband did a great job to keep this house as original as possible, and they are present whenever you need them, without overwhelming you.
So we did not mind the proximity of the mill. Yes it is close to the Old Court House but it is the paper mill that gave birth to the city over a century ago. The Court House was built with the paper mill funds, and it is all about Powell River. You can stay in the new downtown of Powell River but you will miss the true heart of the city. Walk 100 metres around the Old Court House and you will find the oldest buildings of the city, the first post office, the first bank, the first theatre, the first church, the list goes on.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Comox, BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2011

The Old Courthouse Inn was recommended to me by previous guests and as it turned out, my stay exceeded my expectations. I stayed for several days throughout the month of January and was not only delighted by the welcoming innkeepers who supported my work schedule but by the comfort of each room. Each room was beautifully decorated and had all the ammenities that I required living away from home. I slept very well and started my day out relaxed with an inhouse breakfast. I would definitely recommend the hotel to friends and colleagues and look forward to future stays. Thank you to Lilia and staff who made my stay as lovely as one at Grandma's house.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Derk111
Vancouver Island, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2010

I love heritage buildings and enjoy cosy rooms. I stayed here last year and decided to come back because of the comfortable atmosphere. The Old Courthouse Inn has lots of character in its 12 different rooms. My favourite so far is #9. Definitely a place to stay if you are into heritage and can do without large rooms or bathrooms.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2010

I write with great pleasure about the Old Courthouse Inn, to Lilia and her family, and to those who work there, who made our stay a memorable one, an intimate one, and a great place to work and play out of. Nestled in the small historic district of Powell River, the Old Courthouse is a perfect place for curious people, people who like access to more than one impression of a town yet visited. For me, having stayed in more than one of your distinguished rooms (after extending our stay), it was essential to be by that amazing old mill, now an air friendly facility, and to feel deeply the connection between that corner of the town and the lives of everyone in it. But beyond that, being steps away from so much incredible nature, the Willingdon Beach Trail, the historic movie theater, and having such a fantastic restaurant in the very building we felt at home in....well, it was a great fit for us.
If in Powell again and I need a place, expect me.

Cheers!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Petersfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2010

We found this inn through searching on-line and were quite impressed by their website and the generally good reviews here on TA. So we felt justified in having quite high expectations of our one-night stay at the Old Courthouse.

Location:
Things did not start well. As we drove into Powell River we passed several attractive B&B and some nice waterfront accommodations, but the other end of town where the Courthouse Inn is located was much less attractive and with few facilities within walking distance. Immediately next to the Inn is a large open space that seems to have once been the site of a large building that has been demolished and crudely tarmac'd over. The front of the hotel is completely overshadowed by the large papermill factory. We knew about this in advance, and in fairness were not unduely disturbed by it's presence (no significant noise or odour), but it really is an ugly eyesore with huge clouds of steam/smoke belching out 24/7.

Room:
We had reserved Room 3 in advance. On arrival (at approx 6pm), the owners were out and had left a note to call them on the phone in the hallway. On doing so we were told that there were "issues" with Room 3 and we were allocated Room 12 instead. This room was apparently slightly larger than Room 3. We thought the room was quite nicely presented, in a faux-traditional style, although overly cluttered with ornaments, books and other assorted detritus. Unfortunately, what one person might see as a charming curio or antique can just appear to others as old junk salvaged from a garage sale. The bedroom door rattled all night and did not seem very secure.

Service:
As mentioned, the owners were out when we arrived and we did not see them the following morning either, which all felt rather strange and impersonal. In fact the only contact we did have was when someone (she didn't introduce herself) knocked on our door late in the evening (despite the Do Not Distrurb notice) to briefly inform us about the breakast arrangements.

Dining:
The on-site restaurant was closed the night we were there due to the owners being away. As we'd had a long drive we didn't really want to drive around looking for somewhere open, so we used th only other available option we could see - a family-type restaurant across the street from the Inn. It was OK but quite basic. Breakfast was laughable. A small room with a fridge and delapidated cooker was made available for guests to "self-cater" their breakfast. The bread was out of date, the peanut butter in the fridge was almost empty, there were little flies buzzing around the "compost bin" and the coffee maker was filthy, etc etc... This room would not look out of place in a seedy hostel and was completely unacceptable for a B&B costing $100 a night. To add insult to injury, the owners had put up notices insisting that guests do their washing up and clean the room after use!!!

Summary:
This property has great potential to be a charming and atmospheric inn, but currently fails to deliver on several counts. I just got the impression that the owners, having put in the time and money to set it up in the first place, now look upon it as a cash cow to generate an income while they get on with their own lives - without having the nuisance of having to personally greet guests or cook their breakfasts. Perhaps we just stayed there on a bad day, but on the strength of our own experience we would not recommend.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Gordon2112
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2010

First off, it's like a museum. If you are into antiques, you could be in awe for days. You can tell someone has a talent and has spent a lot of time, money, and thought on the decor. There isn't a lot of pretense. It's run by a woman, Lilia, and her small family.regarding the history of the establishment and the surrounding area. Lilia was very very kind and very interesting to talk to I stayed in two different rooms. Both were very comfortable. If you ask, she will give you a tour and let you pick from the vacant rooms for the one you like most, which I thought was very endearing. My advice would be to ask for room. It's slightly bigger. I also heard good things about the in-house restaurant, Manzanita. If I were to return to Powell River, I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
#1 of 19 in Powell River
Westview Centre Motel
Westview Centre Motel
#4 of 7 in Powell River

Been to The Old Courthouse Inn? Share your experiences!